Weather in January 2011

My wife and I have always wanted to cruise the Mediterranean, and this January we have the opportunity. However, my question is is the weather warm during that period, or will we be boundled up. I only question this due to the fact that there seem to be very few options of ships in Jan 2011.

My wife and I have always wanted to cruise the Mediterranean, and this January we have the opportunity. However, my question is is the weather warm during that period, or will we be boundled up. I only question this due to the fact that there seem to be very few options of ships in Jan 2011.

Well, the Med covers a very large area, and the temps will vary depending on where you are. We did a 12-day Med cruise on the NCL Jade this past January/early Feb, RT Barcelona. Ports were: Civitavecchia (Rome), Piraeus (Athens), Izmir, Alexandria, and Valletta.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise, and had glorious weather, in the 50s-60s (all temps F), but it was winter and it certainly could have been colder. Rome was chilly and rainy, typical for that time of year, but we were totally prepared and had a great day. Athens was probably 60s as well. We spent our day in Turkey on a tour of Ephesus, totally comfortable temps, again probably the 60s and quite sunny. A bit warmer in Egypt, sunny and high 70s (maybe even more). I think Malta was also in the 60s. It was a perfect time for touring; later in the year it could be far too hot, and in summer it would be. Our guide in Ephesus told us it's well over 100 in the summer.

A winter cruise in the Med, particularly this more "northern" itinerary, is not a cruise where you can expect to be lying out by the pool (though we did have one sea day where we could, but that was pretty unusual). It's a cruise to see great ports when the crowds are at their lowest, and the temps comfortable for walking around. And the prices for our cruise were great. (Note that the water can be a little rough in the Med in the winter.)

We were never totally "bundled up," but we did dress in layers. Based on our pre-cruise research, we knew that the winter weather in the ports we were visiting could be very unpredictable. We were prepared for a wide range of temps, and for rain (we were glad we'd brought our rain gear!), and we had a fantastic time.

PS: It will likely be better weather than you'll have in Boston in January!

I suggest you google (search) using a search term something like "average temperature <name of city" or "climate <name of city>"

You wil then be able to se the average temps for January (along with precipitation, etc.) and decide for yourself if the weather suits your style.

FWIW, I very much enjoy winters in Greece, Turkey, Italy, Egypt, and Spain. Fewer tourists and much nicer weather for sightseeing. If you are beach bum type person, you won't like it, though.

Archived