Any advice for shore excursions in Phillipsburn, St. Maarten?

We are first-timers who've booked a cruise aboard HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2011. I'm 46 and hubby is 48 - I am fairly active, but hubby is a self-described sofa spud who isn't terribly energetic, though he can manage short bursts of activity (or longer, slower activities with rest times built in). I very much want to get off the ship in Phillipsburg, but don't want to spend the whole day shopping. I'd like to do an island tour, perhaps - like the kind you can do on a tour vehicle, but still provides time to do a little bit of wandering. I could also see us enjoying a self-piloted dune buggy or something of that sort. Would anyone like to share an experience with a shore excursion in St. Maarten? Thank you!:)

Funny, I came on this site to ask the same question. But I have been researching it for the past couple of days. I have repeatedly read about Bernard Tours. Everyone has wonderful things to say about his tours.

I have also found another tour company named Caribe Excursions. Their website is very professional and they offer a longer tour for the same pricing.

I am trying to find someone who has used them so I can determine if they are very good. They also go under the name of St Thomas Excursions, but they do many of the islands. Their vehicles are new or almost new. We are planning a private tour as we are 3 couples, but they have a 14 person van that falls under the category of "non-private" I think it is $39pp.

If you get any other information, please share. Thanks

Jeanne:)

We booked the America's Cup Regatta thru HAL on our recent cruise - I highly recommend it as something a little different. We had a great time.

The Stars & Stripes and Canada II (taken from the Westerdam as we left the harbor):

DSC09802.jpg

And the intrepid crew of the Stars & Stripes - the winners!

DSCF0184.jpg

We've been to St. Maarten quite a few times. We have never used either tour company but if they are highly recommended here you should have a good tour.

I'd bet a stop at Orient Beach would get your hubby off the couch. My favorite beach was Maho before the hurricanes in the 80's. My DH would rather stop on the French side for pastry.

The America's Cup race is wonderful. Your hubby can play bar wench if he doesn't want to break a sweat.

St. Maarten is a small island and not the most beautiful island with oodles of flora and fauna. It does have a certain charm, but that could come our friends at Princess Jewelers!!!

Enjoy your day there.

Go to the ports of call section and look under caribbean where there is a board for each island. LOTS of ideas there for excursions as well as private tour operators (which we prefer)

Just did an island tour the 1st time we were there a few yrs back. This time we are going parasailing with a local operation called Size Matters (at 62 it's part of my bucket list)

We loved our excursion on our last visit to St. Martin. We took a 4 hour snorkel tour with Captain Alan's. He took us to 3 different snorkel spots in a small boat, so no big crowds. Beer and soad included and also a mud bath on the beach which was a lot of fun! :)

On another trip to St. Martin, we rented a jeep at the pier and off we went. We explored the whole island, enjoying lunch at a "lolo" (a local porch BBQ on the beach, yummmy!), in Grand Case and found a few off the beaten path beaches including Friar's Bay which was wonderful. We had an awesome day.

Here's where you want to go: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93 to research every option there is. Plenty of great advice and experiences on the board. Plenty of people to help with any specific questions you might have as well. I've planned my entire cruise using this board and reading up on the different islands. This is a great place! :D

St. Maarten is easy enough to drive. We normally just rent a car and meander around. You can do a loop around the island (both Dutch and French sides), stop to do a little shopping on the French side and a little dip at the beach then back to ship with time to spare. Orient Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches you'll find.

St. Maarten is easy enough to drive. We normally just rent a car and meander around. You can do a loop around the island (both Dutch and French sides), stop to do a little shopping on the French side and a little dip at the beach then back to ship with time to spare. Orient Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches you'll find.

But please be advised (as mentioned by someone else in another thread) when renting a car, your car insurance is not valid on the islands. I just thought I would mention that since I wasn't aware of it until someone else had brought it up.

Archived