Behind the Scenes Tour????

tokidoki

Hi, does anyone know the price to do this tour and is it worth it? We sail on the jewel in oct and I am not platinum yet, for the free tour! thanks!:p:p:p

It was $55 this past January on the Gem and took about 3 hours. Except for the "bridge" which was actually the bridge viewing room, we felt the cost was worth it.

That's interesting, when we did it on the Jewel we went on the actual bridge, which was fasinating. The officer in charge really talked to us a long time and explained all the different equipment and answered tons of questions.

Hi, does anyone know the price to do this tour and is it worth it? We sail on the jewel in oct and I am not platinum yet, for the free tour! thanks!:p:p:p

It was $55 and it took about 3 hours. We toured the food service areas (including the freezers):), the laundry (very interesting) the backstage area and were on the bridge. This was a very nice, informative tour. This tour is well worth the money and I will do it again! I would not take kids (we had one on ours and she was a disruption many times). You also need to be able to climb stairs, walk well and stand as there are many stars, the floors are often times wet and there is no where to sit.

Book as soon as your board the ship as the tour sells out fast and there re very few spots.

Lynne

The cost is I believe $55 is it worth NO! There is no more touring of the bridge unless you have owners suite privileges and even then it can be a hit and miss.

I can see a kitchen and laundry room at home don't need to see it on the ship. We only did the tour because it's a latitudes perk (platinum). Will we do it on upcoming cruises NO.

That's interesting, when we did it on the Jewel we went on the actual bridge, which was fasinating. The officer in charge really talked to us a long time and explained all the different equipment and answered tons of questions.

So did we. It was an excellent, excellent tour. One of the best things we did on the trip. Do it!! We found it amazing how things where operating behind the scenes while the passengers saw just the "cruiseship" vacation mode". The staff who gave the tours of their part or arera of the ship were proud of their jobs, friendly:) and eager to answer questions.

It appears that whether you think the tour is worth it depends entirely on individual taste. I spent the $55 and loved the tour. I was in a group that was very knowledgeable and asked a LOT of questions. After watching the MSNBC Cruise Inc. special about 100 times and reading CC posts incessantly, I loved the chance to see behind the scenes for myself. Would I want to pay $110 for my husband and I to both see it, maybe not. Fortunately he didn't want to.

I did the tour on the Pearl last year. It was an amazing tour, well worth the money. The staff members explained the way that food was stored, prepped, and cleaned up. We watched the laundry room in action-----they have a machine which irons & folds bed linens. I'd love to have one at home.

Next, we were taken to the back stage area, where we met some of the performers. Finally----the bridge. We saw the actual bridge, then the viewing room. Yes, I would do it again, but might wait until I'm a platinum member.

The tour gave us an insight to the hard work performed by the crew, to make cruising a memorable experience for us.

Is it possible to book this tour ahead of time? I'd like to make this an anniversary gift but would need to guarantee two places.

Yes, you can book it as soon as you embark at the purser's desk, which is recommended since there are a limited number of tickets sold.

Later in the week they will deliver a letter to your cabin with the meeting time/location for the start of the tour.

enjoy!

We tried to book this on the Dawn in January. However, the tour got canceled. They never put out a sign or advertised it in the dailies. (I checked every day) Then they canceled it due to a lack of interest. (and tried to keep the fee anyway!) So don't count on it even being available. Every time we've cruised we've asked about doing something like this and we've never been able to.

Archived