Jean Skirt OK?

MizzCard

You are ASSuming that she does not dress up often. It is possible that she "dresses-up" daily. You are also ASSuming that ALL people "enjoy" dressing up; this, simply, is NOT true.:o

I don't think anyone is ASSuming that ALL people enjoy dressing up. No one questions the right of someone to choose not to dress up. But....... there is a time and place for everything, and the cruise lines provide a venue for both those who like to dress up and those who don't. If you prefer to dress "down" then you have alternative dining available at the Windjammer/Lido and a couple of other alternative sources. You can also order from room service and have just about anything from the menu in your cabin or on your balcony. If you show up in the dining room on formal night in inappropriate clothing, you are being rude to all those who abide by the cruise line's "requests" and you are going against the desires of approximately 95-99 percent (according to several recent polls on this board and on Celebrity) of what the other passengers are wearing and desiring. Conversely, if someone showed up on casual night in Johnny Rockets or the Windjammer/Lido alternative dining venues on casual nights, it would be just as inappropriate and would also raise eyebrows and possibly elicit comments. And, just because no one at your dining room table comments on your rude and inappropriate clothing on formal nights, does not mean they're not thinking you look like an arrogant, self-centered inconsiderate, rude ill-bred crass cretin. :cool:

Allen

Wear what you are comfortable in. It's your vacation. I don't wear jeans to dinner on cruises by personal preference, but I have worn a very nice beaded denim dress that gets lots of compliments. The guidelines from the cruiseline don't probihit denim, so I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about it. It's one thing to wear worn-out jeans with old sneakers and a beat up T-shirt, but it's very possible to dress denim up with nice tops and accessories, and be equally well dressed as anyone with "loftier" standards.

To the people who say that you are spoiling their vacation by wearing clothes that don't appeal THEIR preferences, I would just respond that perhaps they are spoiling YOUR vacation by imposing their own interpretations of the guidelines provided by the cruise line.

The fact is that a mass market, family oriented cruise line such as Royal Caribbean is bound to attract a denim-wearing, mass market customer. The cruising experience isn't just for the highbrow. Those who think it should be should perhaps select a more upscale line that markets itself as such.

As long are you aren't violating the guidelines set forth by the cruise line, relax, have fun, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Chances are you'll never see them again anyway.

We all paid for our cruises, let us all wear what we are comfortable in....me I am a sizw 18 so no, a sexy jean skirt would not do, but you can be sure, if I were a sexy size 10 a jean skirt with a nice top would certainly do....bottom line, enjoy YOUR cruise, you paid for it, so be happy and have fun, don't care what the others think, if you are okay so will they be. Happy Cursing!

. And' date=' just because no one at your dining room table comments on your rude and inappropriate clothing on formal nights, does not mean they're not thinking you look like an arrogant, self-centered inconsiderate, rude ill-bred crass cretin. :cool:

Allen[/quote']

Hey,

Did you forget your medication? I attacked no one! I made a simple observation about a comment; I gave no advice as to what she should or should not wear. And, FYI, I do dress for dinner in what you would consider "appropriate", not that it is important what you think.:rolleyes:

Also, just because no one tells you you are an arrogant, self-centered, inconsiderate, rude, ill-bred, crass crestin does not mean they are not thinking it; or that it is not so. :cool:

Do you think a nice jean skirt is OK to wear to dinner on casual nights?

Oh I thought you said jean SHIRT at first and I was like no way. A skirt on the other hand I think is OK as long as it goes down to around your knees, or better, your ankles. Save the micro-minis for the dance-floor after dinner. ;-)

Hey,

Did you forget your medication? I attacked no one! I made a simple observation about a comment; Also, just because no one tells you you are an arrogant, self-centered, inconsiderate, rude, ill-bred, crass crestin does not mean they are not thinking it; or that it is not so. :cool:

I'm not on medications, but thank you for your concern. The thing which I believe irritates so many of us on these boards is the attitude "It's MY cruise! I paid for it, and I can do anything I want!", regardless of how much it annoys or irritates the majority of your fellow passengers. Over 90 per cent of the people on these boards who posted on formal vs. informal polls have indicated that they prefer formal nights and that they think all passengers who go to the dining room on formal night should dress appropriately, as also requested by the cruise line.

The person who wears jeans, shorts, cut-offs, t-shirts, etc. to the dining room on formal nights is absolutely no different from the chair hogs, the table hogs, the line-breakers, and all the other boorish clods who can make a cruise very unpleasant. These people all have the attitude of "It's MY vacation. I paid for it, and I can do anything I want to!". This "it's about ME and everyone else can just like it or lump it" is the attitude which many find so low-class and selfish and inconsiderate. These "me, me, me" persons are the people who are also rude and inconsiderate to the locals in the ports they visit... who scream and attack anyone in Rome or Paris who doesn't speak English. The list goes on and on and on. The rest of us know who and what you are, but some of our posts are hoping that YOU (if you fit these descriptions) may finally get a clue as to who YOU are.

The original poster asked about CASUAL nights. Most of the responses indicated that a jeans skirt was borderline attire on casual nights and that the poster might feel like she fit in a little better if she wore something not quite that casual. Some people lost track of her original question, which was about casual nights, and turned it into a "denim and jeans are okay for formal night and if you don't like it, then to Hell with you" type of forum. THOSE are the people I am calling arrogant, ill-bred, selfish, rude, inconsiderate, selfish, boorish, crass cretins. If the shoe.... uh, I mean "formal" flip-flop fits, wear it.

As for your last sentence in the above quote, it's very ambiguous. I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or screaming "I know you are, but what am I?".

xxxx oooo

Allen

I'm not on medications' date=' but thank you for your concern. The thing which I believe irritates so many of us on these boards is the attitude "It's MY cruise! I paid for it, and I can do anything I want!", regardless of how much it annoys or irritates the majority of your fellow passengers. Over 90 per cent of the people on these boards who posted on formal vs. informal polls have indicated that they prefer formal nights and that they think all passengers who go to the dining room on formal night should dress appropriately, as also requested by the cruise line.

The person who wears jeans, shorts, cut-offs, t-shirts, etc. to the dining room on formal nights is absolutely no different from the chair hogs, the table hogs, the line-breakers, and all the other boorish clods who can make a cruise very unpleasant. These people all have the attitude of "It's MY vacation. I paid for it, and I can do anything I want to!". This "it's about ME and everyone else can just like it or lump it" is the attitude which many find so low-class and selfish and inconsiderate. These "me, me, me" persons are the people who are also rude and inconsiderate to the locals in the ports they visit... who scream and attack anyone in Rome or Paris who doesn't speak English. The list goes on and on and on. The rest of us know who and what you are, but some of our posts are hoping that YOU (if you fit these descriptions) may finally get a clue as to who YOU are.

The original poster asked about CASUAL nights. Most of the responses indicated that a jeans skirt was borderline attire on casual nights and that the poster might feel like she fit in a little better if she wore something not quite that casual. Some people lost track of her original question, which was about casual nights, and turned it into a "denim and jeans are okay for formal night and if you don't like it, then to Hell with you" type of forum. THOSE are the people I am calling arrogant, ill-bred, selfish, rude, inconsiderate, selfish, boorish, crass cretins. If the shoe.... uh, I mean "formal" flip-flop fits, wear it.

As for your last sentence in the above quote, it's very ambiguous. I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or screaming "I know you are, but what am I?".

xxxx oooo

Allen[/quote']

WOW.

Very well said.

You will be fine.if someone's cruise is "ruined" because you wore a jean skirt then I don't think the clothing is the real problem.This subject always stirs up a lot of controversy on this board and attracts the strong opinions one way or the other.I think you will find people are not as judgemental on the ship as they can be on the boards.Enjoy your cruise.

Well said!!!!

Enjoy your cruise. I too struggle with what to wear as we will be leaving in 4 days, my entire family has the flu and no time for last minute details, such as coordinating my wardrobe as would have liked.

However, I will sure be a good tablemate in whatever I wear.

How can this offend someone? How many people observe people as they enter the dining room or after they are seated looking under the table so they can be offended by what is being worn under the table? What is not casual about a jean skirt? Some people just need to get a life. Eat your food and keep your head above the table. :D

I don't think anyone is ASSuming that ALL people enjoy dressing up. No one questions the right of someone to choose not to dress up. But....... there is a time and place for everything' date=' and the cruise lines provide a venue for both those who like to dress up and those who don't. If you prefer to dress "down" then you have alternative dining available at the Windjammer/Lido and a couple of other alternative sources.

Allen[/quote']

Couldn't wait to read all of the rest of the posts before responding to this one. I probably should have, and may regret it. Not meaning to gang up on anyone here, so apologies in advance.

You say that the cruise lines provide a venue for both those who like to dress up and those who don't. Absolutely! But I think it would logically follow, then, that as passengers, we should feel safe and appropriate by following the cruise line's policy about acceptable attire. They've provided various venues, and drawn a "dividing line" about acceptable wear in the nicer one. If that dividing line is "no shorts or tank tops" in the formal dining room, then a denim shirt is fine, in my book. If it's one of the designated formal nights, then no, a denim shirt isn't appropriate.

But it seems that some want to impose their own preferences about how the dress code would be if THEY owned the cruise line. In my opinion, let the CRUISE LINES define the lines of "appropriate and inappropriate". Beyond that, I won't spend our energy critiquing others dress. The issue isn't whether they meet my PERSONAL PREFERENCE standards, but whether they meet the CRUISE LINE'S expectations. You pretty much have to turn to one source for the final say in expectations, and it's certainly more logical for that source to be the CRUISE LINE than ONE OF US!

If I find "no shorts or tank tops" unacceptably casual, I'd be well advised to find another cruise line that defines a more elegant style of dining more in line with my personal tastes.

Enjoy the denim shirt. Maybe I'll pack one now, too! ;)

Granted, it's just my opinion. I realize there are valid alternate opinions. That doesn't mean I'll back down from a good, reasoned discussion, though! :)

I agree with you, our nations FINEST dressed in their "dress" uniforms know how to do it right, You took my point wrong, Or I didn't clarify it properly, sorry.

Regardless, I just voice my opinion as the rest of you do. No one needs to get ridiculed for it, ... ..

Have a great night everyone!!!!!!

Don't think that is going to happen. I believe that BDU's are not to be worn unless engaged in specific military procedures. All you soldiers please jump in and corect me if I am wrong.

I think that you would be much more likely to see our nations finest dressed appropriately in their dress uniforms. They know how to do it right.

celtic

Celtic, yes, you are correct about the BDU's being worn only while on duty.

On our last cruise on the Majesty, my Air Force DH wore his dress blues

on formal night. I was very proud and honored to be seen with him (more so

than usual). It also goes beyond the dress, into behavior while in uniform.

I tried to get him to audition to be on the Love and Marriage Show but he

wouldn't disgrace the uniform with PDA's! (needless to say, we didn't get

picked!)

Denim?

We must be planning an Alaska Cruise,because denim would be just about as appropriate in the Caribbean as a down jacket or a flannel shirt.

My second 2 cents is that seeing people a bit dressed up is nicer...So besides being too hot, I think it's a bit too casual. for the dining room.

Just my opinion

Skip the jean skirt. Enjoy dressing up for a change of pace from regular life!:)

For me any kind of skirt is dressing up, no matter what the fabric. My work requires me to work outside in the elements...jeans or shorts are my everyday clothes.

We be Cruisin :) You're very welcome.

I appreciate that you articulated your point so well.

As the entire board knows by now, I have yet to take my first cruise...which by the way I might add is THIS Sunday! I have read opinions on various subjects and have taken the advice of seasoned cruisers to heart.

I'll be on the Radiance this Sunday and am anxious to see firsthand what the whole cruise experience is like. You can count on a full comprehensive review in the eyes of a "Newbie" when I return.

Happy Cruising :)

Archived