My Explorer Review: 6/24/10-7/3/10 Details!

Come join us we are doing b2b Sept 16 & Sept 25.

New England then Bermuda. We are doing the Feb. 6th 12 nighter.

Dick & Mari

if we do it we will go sept 2 and 11....oh well....really good price....fingers crossed.....

Meg - I saw your post about Sept on the Explorer and checked RCL. 7388 was available for 9/11, so Mom and I will hopefully be on that cruise. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration. I can't believe we will be in that fabulous aft balcony again - it's Kismet! Now I have to figure out the C&A and stockholder and balcony discounts. And of course join the roll call. I'm going to do another aft balcony get together again on the first night.

Great pictures. I don't believe the line at the entrance in Bayonne. We never had a line like that. We get there by 11 or so and just walk in.

Hey, Meg. We just moved our 2/27/11 cruise to 2/6. Diane & Steve and Carol and her Mom are on it too. Hope your Mom is doing well.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy! Funny thing about the line- DH is in the corner of the picture in a light blue shirt, he walked right up to that lady in the white and she ushered us and the line ot the right...right in. :eek::p Cant tell you why, no explanation, it just worked out that way! [smile]

Thanks for the site of the Synagogue in St. Thomas! We totally forgot to check it out when we were there in '08, also on the Explorer! I just hope it's not too hot to walk the hill!! We are not "spring chickens'' anymore. LOL I printed out the walking directions! We'll be galavanting through St. Thomas anyway (my fave port), so it probably won't be too bad.

Maybe we'll grab a taxi back if it's too much.

Thanks again.

You can walk it :-) It looks a lot more intimidating then it is, really. I dont know how old you are, but when we arrived, there was a couple there also touring, definitely in their 60s, plus the man was quite overweight and they walked the hill. It was a great experience.

Thanks Sandy! Funny thing about the line- DH is in the corner of the picture in a light blue shirt, he walked right up to that lady in the white and she ushered us and the line ot the right...right in. :eek::p Cant tell you why, no explanation, it just worked out that way! [smile]

You lucked out with that. I wonder what the people on the left said about that. LOL.

You can walk it :-) It looks a lot more intimidating then it is, really. I dont know how old you are, but when we arrived, there was a couple there also touring, definitely in their 60s, plus the man was quite overweight and they walked the hill. It was a great experience.

OK,, we are in our 60's. Did I really admit to that? Anyway, as long as it is not too hot, we will try it.

Sandy

Chair Hogs; should I post the picture? Day 2, 8am, large man holding 10 lounge chairs, not one person shows up until well after NOON

I have moved towels, books, bags and just sat down.

For this guy, just for fun I would have sacked out right in his self absorbed domain. If he would have had the nerve to say something I would have informed him "RCCL forbids the saving of seats at the pool. Please get security so we can discuss with someone in authority."

Thats funny Stacey as we have 9618 next cruise! It will be our first JS but the price was too good to pass up!

You will love 9618!! Im excited for you!!

OK,, we are in our 60's. Did I really admit to that? Anyway, as long as it is not too hot, we will try it.

Sandy

Sandy, did you check out the web site? I will try to post some pics!

I have moved towels, books, bags and just sat down.

For this guy, just for fun I would have sacked out right in his self absorbed domain. If he would have had the nerve to say something I would have informed him "RCCL forbids the saving of seats at the pool. Please get security so we can discuss with someone in authority."

I was very tempted to do just that, but I think I got more enjoyment out of starring, lol.

Thanks, Stacey. The pictures are interesting. DH wanted to know if they have dirt floors. It doesn't look like they do. I did check out the website. Interesting. The first time we were in St. Thomas, we were walking into the Mall area and there was a white mini van with a blue S of D on the side going toward the ships. I was tempted to flag it down to see if they were offering shuttle service.

Sandy

Thanks, Stacey. The pictures are interesting. DH wanted to know if they have dirt floors. It doesn't look like they do. I did check out the website. Interesting. The first time we were in St. Thomas, we were walking into the Mall area and there was a white mini van with a blue S of D on the side going toward the ships. I was tempted to flag it down to see if they were offering shuttle service.

Sandy

Sandy,

The floor is SAND and there is a reason why. The Rabbi explained something like, during the spanish inquisition the had to sneak into the temple to pray, so the floors were covered with sand so there would be no sound. We nevedr usually do the 'touring' thing, but even my kids were fascinated and thrilled we decided to go there. I dont want to ruin any surprises, but we were all amazed at the many historical Torahs that lie within that ark!!!!!!!!!

I would send an email to the temple to ask if they have a shuttle bus.

Sandy,

The floor is SAND and there is a reason why. The Rabbi explained something like, during the spanish inquisition the had to sneak into the temple to pray, so the floors were covered with sand so there would be no sound. We nevedr usually do the 'touring' thing, but even my kids were fascinated and thrilled we decided to go there. I dont want to ruin any surprises, but we were all amazed at the many historical Torahs that lie within that ark!!!!!!!!!

I would send an email to the temple to ask if they have a shuttle bus.

Thanks, maybe I will.

The best lunch is in the MDR. If you can find some time to break away from sunning, have a HAPPY SALAD. I love the way the salad station works. You walk up, there are a bunch of servers behind the salad bar. You tell them which lettuce you want and which ingredients you want; they walk around with you putting your likes in the bowl, including your dressing. Then they mix and chop it and serve it back to you on a plate. I called it my Happy Salad and the waiters got so excited! I think it is the greatest thing on board Explorer (food wise) today!

OMG!!! I didn't know about this. I mentioned to DH while on this cruise I would have loved a salad just as you described. I am taking notes for next time.

We as a family think RCI needs to politely explain to those who wear soccer garb or their farming clothes into the dining room that they need to adhere to a dress policy as others do and to kindly check out the other venues they offer to folks who chose to dress soccer or below casual style for their comfort, “for your convenience, the windjammer is located on deck 12”. The way others dress does not affect my dining experience, but if scattered folks continue to dress like pigs and royal allows it, then that it what this CL will be known for.

:D:D:D ROFL

But I agree with this statement. Some of the attire worn to the MDR was just shameful. :D

Entertainment= excellent. Jimmy Rhodes did a good job as CD. Production shows were excellent.

Totally agree!!! icon14.gif

Chair Hogs; should I post the picture? Day 2, 8am, large man holding 10 lounge chairs, not one person shows up until well after NOON. Funny thing is, as much as I was very annoyed, enough to take his picture, the loungers weren’t even in a sunny spot (just a desirable location). The principal of it irked me so, that I just had to mention it. Why oh why do folks do this?
:mad:

Hubby and I got yelled at, yes literally yelled at by a cruiser couple who were sitting at the end of the pool with friends and unknown to us were holding two other lounge chairs at the opposite end of the pool. The chairs were covered with towels when we walked up, I asked if the two people sitting there knew who's things they were they said they didn't (we only needed one of the chairs) so I moved the towel to the next chair. Half an hour later they show up after visiting their friends (dh recognized them) and started yelling. People you don't own the chairs really.

Great review.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

Hi PC2, Loved the pictures inside the synagogue. We are hoping to get there this time when we are in St. Thomas, during our 12 night Explorer cruise starting 11/7/10.

Do you know IF there is a van to take you there up the hill? We don't mind paying a couple of bucks instead of walking the hill? Will they wait and bring you back to the shopping area? Thanks so much and I await your reply.

Safe sails always :-)

CruiseDiva, thanks for your review. I've never sailed out of NJ but will on 12/10 if I can get 7 days off from work...from a job I don't even START until this Thu, LOL. Wish me luck on THAT one.

Anyway, what's the general passenger makeup of this ship? Is it usually heavily populated with folks from the tri-state area? If so, does that make it more fun, or is it crazy-rowdy? We DO know how Noo Yawkers can be... :)

cruisinpandora, Glad you enjoyed the review. I think the happy salad,lol is the greatest secret on Explorer! So many folks dont know about it. One day DH and I went down and each took ours to go and had it our on our balcony. Oh, and, did you see that large man on the pool deck tier to the right of the pool bar on our first day at sea?

UANDME4EVER....the pics of the synagogue are mine. You can call them at 340-774-4312 or email them hebrewcong@islands.vi We became members while we were there. I didnt see any transportation (van) or any information regarding transportation when we were there.

amybeth, the populaiton on board Explorer depends on the time of year. We found the Holiday sail to be very diversified. Many, many folks from Europe and South America and Canada, as well as the US. This past sail, it was tough to say. One table next to us was from Queens, the other from Texas. None of the four of us noticed anyone rowdy or any fights (theres always one on board though, isnt there? lol). DH and I both do feel the demographics lean more towards the east coast....

Hey Diva!!

So glad you had a great trip on the Explorer. That ship holds a special place in my heart!!! But I am sooooooo excited to be boarding the Oasis this Saturday. Don't forget to look for my LIVE report. Hope we get to sail together sometime!!

amybeth, the populaiton on board Explorer depends on the time of year. We found the Holiday sail to be very diversified. Many, many folks from Europe and South America and Canada, as well as the US. This past sail, it was tough to say. One table next to us was from Queens, the other from Texas. None of the four of us noticed anyone rowdy or any fights (theres always one on board though, isnt there? lol). DH and I both do feel the demographics lean more towards the east coast....

Sure, you can certainly expect that. Heck, even when I've cruised out of FL during President's Day Week, the amount of people from the northeast is pretty overwhelming.

Hey Diva!!

So glad you had a great trip on the Explorer. That ship holds a special place in my heart!!! But I am sooooooo excited to be boarding the Oasis this Saturday. Don't forget to look for my LIVE report. Hope we get to sail together sometime!!

Hi Denice! Always good to see you! I cant wait for your Live from Oasis, I will definitely be looking for it! See you there! Stacey~

Hi PC2, Loved the pictures inside the synagogue. We are hoping to get there this time when we are in St. Thomas, during our 12 night Explorer cruise starting 11/7/10.

Do you know IF there is a van to take you there up the hill? We don't mind paying a couple of bucks instead of walking the hill? Will they wait and bring you back to the shopping area? Thanks so much and I await your reply.

Safe sails always :-)

The pictures are Stacey's. I did e-mail them and got a reply this morning. They do not offer any shuttle service but they said that you can take a taxi and walk into town for shopping after. They also gave directions for walking that are the same as on their website. I will try to report back after we go.

Sandy

CruiseDiva, thanks for your review. I've never sailed out of NJ but will on 12/10 if I can get 7 days off from work...from a job I don't even START until this Thu, LOL. Wish me luck on THAT one.

Anyway, what's the general passenger makeup of this ship? Is it usually heavily populated with folks from the tri-state area? If so, does that make it more fun, or is it crazy-rowdy? We DO know how Noo Yawkers can be... :)

Amybeth: It also depends on the itinerary. When the Explorer goes to the Caribbean and Bermuda, you are going to get a lot of people from the tri-state area because if someone has to fly, they will, most likely, fly into Florida rather than NJ, but when it goes to Canada/NE, a lot of passengers are from Europe, the Mid-West and West Coast.

Sandy

The pictures are Stacey's. I did e-mail them and got a reply this morning. They do not offer any shuttle service but they said that you can take a taxi and walk into town for shopping after. They also gave directions for walking that are the same as on their website. I will try to report back after we go.

Sandy

Thank you and this information will be very much appreciated.

Have a wonderful, safe cruise!

You will love 9618!! Im excited for you!!

Sandy, did you check out the web site? I will try to post some pics!

I was very tempted to do just that, but I think I got more enjoyment out of starring, lol.

Hi: We settled for 8618 as we wanted a "hump" cabin...There was nothing available in that area for a JS...We'd rather have the hump on 1 deck lower than to be very forward or aft or decks 9 or 10! We can't wait for 11/7/10 - Here we come Explorer, be ready...:-)

Good Morning: I sent an email to the Synagogue. They responded shortly thereafter. Here's the scoop: No shuttle bus, but can catch a cab for about $5 p/p each way from Town. We'll probably just take it up the hill. I'm sure we can walk down back to town as I heard it isn't far.

Thanks for your kind help!

Safe sails always!!

Archived