Question about tipping on RCI

I am going on my first cruise on RCI and I am confused about some of the comments I have read about automatic tipping being placed your shipboard account. I have read many times, on the RCCL boards, that if you have MTD you “HAVE” to put your tips on your shipboard account. Everyone makes it sound like it is a bad thing. Isn’t it easier to have the tips placed on your shipboard account instead of having to divide up cash between envelops and hand them out? I have sailed many times on Princess and found that their newer tipping policy (for the last few years) of automatically placing the tips on shipboard accounts is much easier. I don’t have to even think about tips unless I wish to give extra to people who have delivered excellent service.

Any comments as to the pros and cons between automatic tipping and the traditional cash method would be appreciated.

I like the ability to pre-pay the gratuities. Staff knows you've tipped in advance and I think it colors the service. We've been on cruises where the people at our table in the dining room completely stiffed the waiters. We doubled up to compensate them, but it wasn't enough. I like pre-paying. That way you know you're covered and there's no big surprise at the end of the cruise.

What would be really good, in my opinion, would be having the cruise ship people pay their staff a sufficient amount such that no tipping was necessary. But, unfortunately on the mass market cruise lines, that's not going to happen.

I don’t have to even think about tips unless I wish to give extra to people who have delivered excellent service.

If a crew member gives excellent service surely that is what we are rewarding with our pre paid tip? Of course those who give less than good service get rewarded too!

We have done both and agree it is much easier just to have it applied and if we got special treatment then we would go a little over for those cases.

The other way you do have a more personal connection, but then again just one more thing to do towards the end of a cruise.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

DH and I like the idea of prepaid gratuities. We have never done MTD, but we do prepay, get vouchers and add extra cash for those we feel went above and beyond and enhanced our cruise experience.

To the poster who said "staff knows you have tipped in advance"........that is only the case with my time dining and not with traditional.

We generally do prepaid gratuities with RCI but there are a couple of things to consider.

First, the prepaid gratuities give you paper vouchers that you still must place in an envelope and give to your waiter, stateroom attendant, etc. on the last night. I find this a bit awkward having to carry them around that night. The envelopes are a size that just doesn't fit well in my pocket. I kind of wish they would just include it on the crew member's paycheck.

Second, we have had two instances where we prepaid gratuities and then received poor service - both times with our stateroom attendant. On our last cruise, we even talked with the hotel director and the behavior was still not corrected by the end of the 14 night cruise. We considered asking for our gratuity back, but eventually decided not to pursue it. However, you should consider what will happen when you prepay your gratuity and then do not receive service commensurate with what you prepaid.

We generally do prepaid gratuities with RCI but there are a couple of things to consider.

First, the prepaid gratuities give you paper vouchers that you still must place in an envelope and give to your waiter, stateroom attendant, etc. on the last night. I find this a bit awkward having to carry them around that night. The envelopes are a size that just doesn't fit well in my pocket. I kind of wish they would just include it on the crew member's paycheck.

Second, we have had two instances where we prepaid gratuities and then received poor service - both times with our stateroom attendant. On our last cruise, we even talked with the hotel director and the behavior was still not corrected by the end of the 14 night cruise. We considered asking for our gratuity back, but eventually decided not to pursue it. However, you should consider what will happen when you prepay your gratuity and then do not receive service commensurate with what you prepaid.

We do not "prepay" but rather opt to have the gratuities added to our seapass account, usually a couple of days prior to the end of the cruise. This way, you don't have to worry about rewarding poor service (have never had to do it, but if it was that bad would have tipped everyone else in cash and not put the gratuities on our account at all) or, in the event you need to cancel the cruise I'm not sure if prepaid gratuities are recoverable or not.

BTW, even though you receive vouchers and envelopes in your cabin, you do NOT have to give them out - the staff in question will automatically receive their tips. We usually like to put extra into the envelopes and hand them out personally, but that's just a thing we like and certainly not required.

To the OP, if you opt for MTD you must pay the gratuities with your final payment. They are not added to your onboard account. If you decide, once on board, that you want the gratuities added to your account you will have the opportunity to do so. If you do not do either of these, then you tip in cash at the end.

If you choose either MTD or to put your tips on your account you are still free to add cash to those envelopes!

I can relate to your experince.

I prepaid my gratuities for our 2008 cruise and ended up with a horrible stateroom attendant. The first day she told us that she didn't leave ice or clean towels unless requested. She was right - if we forgot to leave a note for her, she didn't bring towels or ice. Even when we did leave a note, she didn't bring always them. Several days she didn't even come by our cabin - bed never made, trash not dumped. I complained to the purser's desk and head of housekeeping mulitple times (I have never complained about anyone onboard before) but problem was not resolved. It actually got worse. I even requested a new cabin steward but told no. I was upset enough about the lack of service to request the gratuity for the cabin steward backbecause the service was unacceptable. I was told no. On RC, the gratuities are non-refundable even if service is not up to expectations. :mad: I suspect the steward knew we had prepaid and she would get her money whether she did anything or not.

I now put my gratuities on my seapass but wait until the last day to turn in the form. If I experience service like on Legend again, I won't bother to turn in the form. I'll give those who did an acceptable job cash and those who did nothing will get just that - nothing.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.:D

I do have traditional seating for the dining room and I think that I will have my tips put on my shipboard account.

Yes, this is a good decision. It makes it a whole lot simpler.

Archived