Greetings From Maasdam

mariner

It's 19 degrees. Fleece has replaced T's. And the shorts are going away for a long winter's nap.

Some final thoughts as we think about the sun and fun SailonH2O are having.

For us, Maasdam is a Dutch town with a Filipino neighborhood, an Indonesian neighborhood, a Canadian neighborhood, an eastern European neighborhood and a British neighborhood.

As tourists, we like to get to know a little something about these residents in their home. It really makes a vacation special when people know your names.

On the last night, we shared cocktails with the F&B and head pastry chef (who is French, but lives in Australia, where he was flying to the next day). Mariner is blaming him for a trip to the tailor.

Such talks with them and others does help break up the monotony of their lives at sea. For us it's HMC. For them, it's day three of a yearlong contract.

When I extend an envelope on the last night, shake a crew member's hand and receive a hug in return I always say ``thank you and wish you a short contract.''

We've already mentioned some of the changes that we've noticed. Lower prices for most items, longer half-priced drinks, less variety in the menus. We loved the staggered dining hour and shorter bathroom lines. Missed hearing the music in the lounges earlier.

The program now is chock-full of ways for HAL to make money.

We noticed some slight changes in service in the wake of the new tipping policy and that's why we stuck mainly with our newly cultivated band of buddies in the Crow's.

They offered the ``old time HAL'' service the minute we met them. They'd take some time to chat, were willing to keep a tab open and weren't pushing drinks at us. Remember ``last call'' ?

Elsewhere, we found other crew members more interested in our order than ``how was your day.'' They wouldn't keep a tab open, fearing someone else would ring out and they'd lose the tip. There were also instances of indifference that we'd never seen before.

And for the first time, Mariner heard from more than a handful of employees that they're planning to look at other lines because they don't like the new pay policy involving uniforms, flights home etc.

I make it a practice to probe these issues (and not with my usual servers so they won't get in trouble for spilling company secrets). I was shocked to learn a wine steward only gets 10 percent of the 15 percent gratuity. It's becoming the toughest job to fill. Bartenders are the happiest. They keep 14.6 percent. Why not give them all of it?

But the cruising experience has changed and HAL is trying to keep pace with those trends. We passengers shoulder much of the blame.

On a cab in St. Thomas, all anyone talked about were the deals Princess, RCI and Carnival were offering. No one mentioned the quality of food or service.

And looking at the Maasdam dwarfed at the pier by Megaliners, we wonder how much longer HAL will keep the S-class ships. They're odd ducks that look so tiny when they (rarely) sail out of Lauderdale.

It's a shame HAL has her on the Norfolk run. She faces bleak on-time odds in the winter and it is a disservice to her reputation, which is a very well run ship.

I'll be glad to answer any questions once I sort through the mound of mail.

Mariner, I thank you for your observations though it saddens me to see much of what I observed on our November cruise seems to have been true on yours as well. But I'm so glad that overall you obviously were able to carve out a wonderful time for yourselves by finding just the right nook and crannies.

I loved the Maasdam when we sailed on her out of FLL 2 years ago. I love her size. Of course, I loved the ships even smaller than her with 700 or so passengers and you almost felt you met everyone on the cruise. I remember the passenger list when you could check to see if you knew anyone onboard. I can't believe the day has come when I think of the "good old days". Ah, well....

You're right. The changes basically come about as a response to what the passengers are looking for ... not this passenger, but the majority. And so we accept it or we don't or we just keep seeking out that little corner that affords us what we want.

Welcome home.

Mariner-

Thanks for sharing your cruise, thoughts and observations with us. We look forward to our upcoming cruise in about 30 days as the weather here leaves much to be desired at times too.

We always appreciate the barstaff who are willing to keep the bar tab open - most of the bartenders we get to know indicate they do have a gratuity sharing policy amongst themselves and I hope HAL will not take that from them too. We still like to give extra - for us, the crew is one of the main reasons we choose HAL.

We have also heard complaints from many over the pay structure, vacation pay, uniforms and flights home... it is a shame, imo, but times are changing and hopefully there are still enough passengers willing and able to help make a difference for them where it counts. I'm always dismayed to hear about someone removing the auto-tip because they feel it is "too much".

Thanks again for sharing your cruise with us and welcome home. :)

Thanks, M/M Mariner for sharing your wonderful cruise with us. It was fun traveling along with you.

I cannot ever recall when bar staff would not keep a bar tab running for us. There have been times when they were busy and we were ready to leave for dinner so DH returned later to sign. ;) They knew where to find us!! They certainly know our cabin number! I sure hope things are not changing that much.

You made your cruise sound like such fun that we are actually considering it for next year. We just hate the flights necessary for us to get to Norfolk. We'll have to investigage whether maybe they have added some decent flight that we are not aware of.

Was there a 'future cruise consultant' aboard? Did you book for next year yet?? :)

Hello all!

My name is Kim, and I'm getting married next week. Then on 3/10, my new hubby and I are taking our first cruise on the Maasdam, out of Norfolk for the Eastern Carribean cruise. I've been reading (to my great delight!) everyone's posts (especially M/M Mariner's) of recent cruises. I understand that alot of you here have been on SEVERAL cruises. Since this is my first cruise, I'm sure there's alot of tips I need to learn. Anyone willing to teach a 40 year old newbie the important stuff (i.e.where to go, what to do, what to eat, what to miss. . .)

Thanks in advance,

Kim

S7S: We really hope there is better air. You would love that cruise and might have some company. Boy, I don't know if the crew is ready for that.

Kim, keep reading the boards. You'll get plenty of info and a variety of opinions. Everyone's cruise experience is different and your expectations might be different from mind. Mrs. Mariner and I found we were so exhausted after our wedding, we slept alot on our honeymoon cruise.

I also forgot to mention a classic example of great service. At the Marriott on embarkation day we were having a tough time getting a cab. One of the valet parking staff said, ``I'll walk you to the ship.'' He grabbed our luggage cart and down the block we went. It was the easiest and most enjoyable trip we've ever had to a pier.

It's 19 degrees. Fleece has replaced T's. And the shorts are going away for a long winter's nap.

Some final thoughts as we think about the sun and fun SailonH2O are having.

For us, Maasdam is a Dutch town with a Filipino neighborhood, an Indonesian neighborhood, a Canadian neighborhood, an eastern European neighborhood and a British neighborhood.

As tourists, we like to get to know a little something about these residents in their home. It really makes a vacation special when people know your names.

On the last night, we shared cocktails with the F&B and head pastry chef (who is French, but lives in Australia, where he was flying to the next day). Mariner is blaming him for a trip to the tailor.

Such talks with them and others does help break up the monotony of their lives at sea. For us it's HMC. For them, it's day three of a yearlong contract.

When I extend an envelope on the last night, shake a crew member's hand and receive a hug in return I always say ``thank you and wish you a short contract.''

We've already mentioned some of the changes that we've noticed. Lower prices for most items, longer half-priced drinks, less variety in the menus. We loved the staggered dining hour and shorter bathroom lines. Missed hearing the music in the lounges earlier.

The program now is chock-full of ways for HAL to make money.

We noticed some slight changes in service in the wake of the new tipping policy and that's why we stuck mainly with our newly cultivated band of buddies in the Crow's.

They offered the ``old time HAL'' service the minute we met them. They'd take some time to chat, were willing to keep a tab open and weren't pushing drinks at us. Remember ``last call'' ?

Elsewhere, we found other crew members more interested in our order than ``how was your day.'' They wouldn't keep a tab open, fearing someone else would ring out and they'd lose the tip. There were also instances of indifference that we'd never seen before.

And for the first time, Mariner heard from more than a handful of employees that they're planning to look at other lines because they don't like the new pay policy involving uniforms, flights home etc.

I make it a practice to probe these issues (and not with my usual servers so they won't get in trouble for spilling company secrets). I was shocked to learn a wine steward only gets 10 percent of the 15 percent gratuity. It's becoming the toughest job to fill. Bartenders are the happiest. They keep 14.6 percent. Why not give them all of it?

But the cruising experience has changed and HAL is trying to keep pace with those trends. We passengers shoulder much of the blame.

On a cab in St. Thomas, all anyone talked about were the deals Princess, RCI and Carnival were offering. No one mentioned the quality of food or service.

And looking at the Maasdam dwarfed at the pier by Megaliners, we wonder how much longer HAL will keep the S-class ships. They're odd ducks that look so tiny when they (rarely) sail out of Lauderdale.

It's a shame HAL has her on the Norfolk run. She faces bleak on-time odds in the winter and it is a disservice to her reputation, which is a very well run ship.

I'll be glad to answer any questions once I sort through the mound of mail.

Mariner, what a wonderful sharing of your time aboard the Maasdam.

We're just off the Statendam, and can confirm the disparity on tips for the wine stewards and bartenders. Also, we wonder why.

And for those of us who enjoy the S class ships, some good news from Fritz Gehner, the Statendam's HM. He says that the SOE enhancements will keep the S class ships in the fleet for another ten years.

Hope he's right.

Thanks again for sharing your cruise.

And for those of us who enjoy the S class ships, some good news from Fritz Gehner, the Statendam's HM. He says that the SOE enhancements will keep the S class ships in the fleet for another ten years.

Hope he's right.

Me too! Me too!:D

During the Mariner's Party, the captain announced the SOE was coming to the Maasdam by 2006/07. Mariner doesn't quite remember because Mrs. Mariner and the Bar Manager insist that he attend. He'd rather be in the pool.

What I don't understand is why they want to turn that wonderful bar will be turned into the circular type on Volendam/Zaandam. If they want to sell more drinks, I'm not sure a smaller bar makes sense.

And the Java will become an Internet cafe, with charges similar to Zuierdam.

So glad you talked to Fritz. We love his wife, whom I consider a co-conspirator with Hans von Biljouw's wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Mariner,

Thank you so much for your posts. I leave on 3/10 on the Maasdam, for my first cruise. I know alot of you that cruise alot have noticed that it's not as great as it used to be, but for someone like me who doesn't know an S class ship from. . . well, from anything else, will I still be stunned, amazed, thrilled?

(tell me the truth, but, Oh God, I hope I haven't wasted alot of money!}

Also, I'm in B205, which is in the back, but, is supposed to have a tub and shower both. I wonder how it will be all the way back there. And, also, there's a deck there as well. Any thoughts?

Kim

Kim,

Time to start packing!

Those of us who have been crusing a while (in my case, since 1969) have noticed many changes. As a new cruiser, this will be the benchmark which you'll (and I'm sure you will have more to come) measure.

By S-dam class ships, I mean they are smaller then the megaships you'll encounter elsewhere in the Caribeean. The first ship I ever sailed on was half the size of Maasdam (and didn't have a bathroom in the cabin) and I actually find Maasdam a little big for my liking. The smaller the ship, the better the service.

You should be congratulated for booking a B. They are a great bargain. HAL learned the error of its ways after the S-dam class ships and on Volendam/Zaandam, those cabins are A's.

In fact, all cabins other than suites are the same size. Location determines the price. And B's on S-dam ships are midships (smoother ride). Granted, you're aft, so you might feel the props. But I think you'll be most pleased.

Board with a spirit of adventure, roll with the unexpected, and if you have a problem, tell the appropriate officer. When we were aboard Maasdam, we had (as you could tell from my posts) the good fortune of having cocktails with many officers. They really care about the product and if something isn't right, they want to know.

Don't go to the front office. Go to the guest relations manager. Tell Kees, the food and beverage manager, or inform the hotel manager if you feel you're being short-changed.

But I think, by and large, you'll have an excellent time. And if you see Danny, Heydey, Cesar or Candiice, tell them Mariner sent you!

Bon Voyage!

Mariner,

Thanks so much, and I will be SURE to tell your friends hello for you. I just got married, which is the reason for the cruise. I'm 41, he's 57, and while we've both traveled some, neither had done a cruise. The reason for the B cabin, was a}hubby was afraid if I was farther down and in an interior cabin with no window I might freak out seeing as how it's my first cruise, and b} when the TA said, "well, if you like to get up early in the morning and have coffee on the balcony. . . .}! That sold him right there as that is exactly what he likes to do. We had to get 205 because we only booked this like 4 weeks ago and it was the last one. What is a Dutch High Tea? And, please tell me that the finger sandwiches aren't pickled herring!

Kim

Mariner,

Thank you so much for your posts. I leave on 3/10 on the Maasdam, for my first cruise. I know alot of you that cruise alot have noticed that it's not as great as it used to be, but for someone like me who doesn't know an S class ship from. . . well, from anything else, will I still be stunned, amazed, thrilled?

(tell me the truth, but, Oh God, I hope I haven't wasted alot of money!} . . .Kim

DH and I took our first cruise on the Maasdam this past Dec./Jan for the Holiday Cruise. As first timers, we didn't know exactly what to expect - although we did spend six months reading this board to gain as much knowledge as we could. THIS IS OUR OPINION: We can not imagine anything being better than the cruise we took. (And we pulled out of Norfolk 7 hours late - so we weren't exactly off to a good start.) Was everything perfect - of course not. But our cruise was much more than we expected in terms of condition of the ship, staff & crew, size of the cabin, food, and entertainment. The couple of minor cabin problems we had were taken care of immediately. So, as another poster said, if you have a problem make sure you are telling the right person about it. Be sure to read the Daily Program each day from front to back so you can see everything that is happening all around the ship. And get your hands on a Port Program each port day to read up on the ports (if you haven't visited the islands previously). Probably the only thing we will do differently on our next cruise (:p oh yes, there will be a next cruise) is study the port information more closely. We booked all our excursions in advance - just general overview tours of each island. We may have done some different excursions had we studied more carefully. But then, as we had not been to any of the islands, maybe a general overview tour was the right thing for the first visit. HAVE A GREAT, FUN, RELAXING TIME ON YOUR CRUISE!:D

Kim,

I'm 45. Mrs M is, well, never mind.

Dutch High Tea is more about pastries then little finger sandwiches. Haven't been to one in years because Mariner is usually back by the pool most days, or taking a nap.

As Linda&Vern said, review the daily program before going to bed each night. There is so much to do. But don't try to do it all. After all, it's a vacation, not boot camp.

The port info comes in handy. However, unlike the old days where they really gave you info about the ports (i.e. cab fares, beach admission etc), nowadays they're infomercials for the merchants who have paid the port shopping ambassador's concession to promote their stores.

The Caribbean ports are, by and large, the same. Each has a fort of dubious historical distinction, the shopping is okay (not great) and the beaches are lovely (if you can get away from the major tourist hangouts).

You're already on the best port, Maasdam.

We'll be thinking of you having breakfast on your balcony. And the folks in the Lido can't see you on Veranda Deck.

Congrats on your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon cruise.

.....The port info comes in handy. However, unlike the old days where they really gave you info about the ports (i.e. cab fares, beach admission etc), nowadays they're infomercials for the merchants who have paid the port shopping ambassador's concession to promote their stores. The Caribbean ports are, by and large, the same. Each has a fort of dubious historical distinction, the shopping is okay (not great) and the beaches are lovely (if you can get away from the major tourist hangouts). You're already on the best port, Maasdam...... /QUOTE]

Mariner - Thanks for making the above comments! Our thoughts exactly. As everyone knows by now, we LOVED our Maasdam cruise. However, we did make several comments on our passenger survey about lack of info about ports (especially lacking was info on public transportation available at each port; i.e., trips to the beach, etc.) And I actually nicknamed the ship's "port shopping ambassador" title to The Jewelry Ambassador. That's why in my previous posted I commented that next time we will go armed with much more port information. Also Mariner - we never thanked you for your wonderful posts from the Maadam. THANK YOU!:D

The port info concession is the pits. And we love your description ``jewelry ambassador.'' In addition to plugging the shops that have paid them, we suspect the reason they're so tight with info is so people will take tours instead of going it alone. That's a shame because it's easy to get around in most ports.

We've done the ports so many times that we know what cab fare should cost etc. However, if we've forgotten or are in a new port, we do some online research and head straight to the tourism booth when we get off the ship. Nothing makes a cabbie do a double take than when we ask how much to X beach and after he gives us a quote we say, ``but the tourism officer just told us it should cost this.''

Linda and Vern, Mariner, and Mrs.,

I cannot thank you all enough! I came home today from buying a digital camera and found these posts and was so happy. Also, Mariner, as with Linda, thank you for your posts from the Maasdam! And now, I'll know who to go to if anything should go wrong. If I can figure out how to send pictures and to where, I'll be sending you pics along the way. It costs like a dollar a minute even with your own laptap?

Thanks all,

Kim

Archived