Greetings From Maasdam

mariner

Mariner (and Mrs. Mariner, of course) I read recently that on the 10-day cruise there had been 2 informal nights; not just one as the docs have indicated. I'll be on this cruise in a month (yippee!), and hate to underpack when there are no airline limits for me. Please report on the number of informals when you get that far into your cruise. Thanks! Lene

Mariner, a little bird suggested I take a peek at this thread and I'm sure glad she did! What wonderful posts. I can tell how much you're enjoying yourself and I love your humor although I have to admit to times I'm not quite sure when you're serious and when you're not.

I so love the Maasdam ... a perfect size for us. I hope the rest of your journey is wonderful and keep posting so we can "ride along".

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

I have to laugh when you quoted the Capt. as saying that he did not make an announcement on the big "thud wave", as he would have had to make

announcements all evening. There was only one,big ,thud wave; a pitch not a roll..It was only 8:30 PM...We had rolled for over a day. All the staff except for the waiters left the DR immediately-- They must have had special places to check that all was ok. It was alarming to the general public.Poor call on the Captain`s part....The wait staff was wonderful; cleaned up the mess on the tables and floor and continued their great service.

Mariner (and Mrs. Mariner, of course) I read recently that on the 10-day cruise there had been 2 informal nights; not just one as the docs have indicated. I'll be on this cruise in a month (yippee!), and hate to underpack when there are no airline limits for me. Please report on the number of informals when you get that far into your cruise. Thanks! Lene

Ten Day HAL cruises have three Formal Nights and most usually two Informal with the remaining Casual.

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Mariner,

I'm so glad to hear the Captain wouldn't take your bribe, because Thursday can't get here fast enough...hehe

I can only imagine the interesting conversations at the Captain's table. What a treat. Excuse my ignorance, where is the Captain's table :confused: ?

I conclude by wishing you both happy sailing.

Sincerely,

T & S

Ten Day HAL cruises have three Formal Nights and most usually two Informal with the remaining Casual.
Maasdam's current sailing is an 11 day southern Caribbean, not the ten day eastern. On our 10 day eastern Caribbean sailing on Oct. 30 we had 3 formal and 1 informal evenings.

Alongside in San Juan:

Maasdam arrived right on schedule and Immigration soon began. It was A-Z in St. Thomas and Z-A here. Being in a suite, we can go as soon as they call the first letters regardless of surnames.

Because of the early arrival, the Crow's was fairly quiet last night. That will change this evening when the Red and White Ball takes place for Valentine's Day.

The Crow's now has a copy of Bob Marley's greatest hits, which Mariner bought for $20 in Barbados. HAL, if your reading this, a shipboard credit would be nice.

I saw they loaded a ton of roses in Barbados so I suspect Mrs. Mariner et. al will be receiving some.

Walked through Old San Juan and the castle. Today is the castle's ``birthday'' so they had cake and did not charge admission.

The North Atlantic looked at bit rough (or as the captain would say, rrrooofff). We're hoping. We're hoping.

S7S is correct. There are two informal nights on the ten-day. Tonight is informal. And the Captain's Table (beef wellington sail) is on the lower level about midway in the dining room.

Heading up to the pool. Navigation Deck will not have hot water from 10 until 1 today. It's been turned off for ``maintenance.'' Saw many tools, but no workers in the hallway.

And Heather, I bet I know who that bird was.

Most Unusual Cabin Arrangement Mariner Has Ever Heard: an employee, his boss and the boss' girlfriend. I think I will offer this idea in my compan's tip box.

Outward Bound for Norfolk (dratz)

Where to begin? We'll start with Valentine's Day.

The dining room and lounges were decked out in red and white. Arrived at the Crow's for the Red and White Ball.

Then the captain shows up and tells Mariner he will give him $20 for the Bob Marley disc _ if Mariner has a receipt. Mariner explained to the captain that he has many receipts (mainly HAL receipts). But perhaps a bargain could be struck.

Mariner said the captain could keep his $20 dollars (afterall, the poor man has too much responsibilities than to submit an expense voucher). But for $120, could he not turn the ship south.

``Nay!''

So Mariner turned on his charm to the chief engineer. He refused to toss a wrench in the turbocharger.

Sent Mrs. Mariner on the dance floor to dance with young navigators. Even they can't be bought.

These Dutch. Since they bought Manhattan they drive too hard a bargain. Tonight, the crew will have a party on the bow. I'm hoping for Filipino power.

Speaking of which. Mrs. Mariner, for Valentine's Day, told me to order a shot of Louis XIII. Of course, at the time, Mariner forgot his credit card is on the account. What followed was the Filipino equivalent of tea time at Buckingham Palace.

The bartender turned to the other bartender who turned to the other bartender who turned to the bar supervisor. Then Mariner's old friend, the bar manager, arrived carrying a red box. Out came the bottle, and to the strains of ``Louie, Louie,'' she poured the shot in the glass. It was worth the price just for the show.

Talked to the Hotel Manager. It's very strange speaking with a Dutchman with a Texas accent. Since he was from Texas, I knew I would not even be able to try to bribe him.

Mrs. M hadd the prime rib last night. I had the half chicken. Both were excellent.

I'm preparing for another massage with Chean. I highly recommend her. How an 80-pound Filipina has so much strength is beyond me. Needless to say, it is as if she has six hands and four elbows. I have gained at least an inch after a session with her and the ever expanding Mariner wishes she could do something about his waistline.

The sea condition today is great and the captaintook (too) much delight is announcing that, at this point, we'll ``arrrrrrrive at the pilot station in Norfolk at FOURRRRR (he did that on purpose) a-m.

We got our hot water back around 3 p.m. yesterday. A pax told me they tore her bathroom (009) apart. Also saw them in the last A before the suites and the second to first A on the port side.

There is no water in the Lido Pool, for unknown reasons.

We're also two people short. Two of the strings musicians missed the ship in San Juan. Seems it was their first contract and they thought 1200 was midnight. Explorers now has the piano player only.

Just finished the Mariner's Party and am headed for the pool.

SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR SailonH2O. When you meet the captain at the welcome aboard party, tell him Mariner sent you. You'll be happy you did.

Overheard at the Dolphin Bar: ``Is this the $2.95 Bloody Mary bar? I need a hair of the dog after going through immigration.''

Hi Mr. and Mrs. Mariner,

You have become part of our daily conversation and entertainment. You will be amused to hear our evenings usually involve the question "has Mr. M left an update yet?" It has helped make time go by more quickly. Once again we are glad to hear that you haven't been successful with the bribery:)

We will be sure to say hello to the Captain and mention your name.

Maybe our paths will cross on Thursday, if not, we thank you for your wonderful posts.

Sincerely,

Tom and Susan

We also have looked forward to your postings, Mariner. They've been marvelous. Here's hoping you have another great evening before your arrival home. One question I did have -- how was the water? You mentioned beaches, but did you do any swimming/snorkeling? We go on our cruise 2/27, so your adventures have been very informative. I was a little concerned about the postings late last year, but your experiences have built my hopes up again and I can't wait to go!! :)

At Sea

Force 7, scattered showers and darn right cold com[pared to the last ten days.

But the captain (a little too gleefully IMO) announced at 1 p.m. that we would be on time tomorrow.

He has uniforms, gets to drive the Maasdam and will be back in the Caribbean in a few days. But does his cabin have a balcony? ``NAY!''

Steiner's said to me yesterday that they wished I would stay aboard. Told them I'd be glad to if they'd cover my onboard expenses. They said ``nay.''

Had a wonderful night in the Crow's. That was preceded by the Farewell Dinner. Guess what Mrs. Mariner ate? She and those tails.

We've enjoyed the staggered dining hours. Although, last night was the old early and late seating to syncronize the baked Alaska.

Mrs. Mariner has noticed the new system means fewer lines in the restrooms. The down side is there's no music in the lounge until 7:30.

We've also noticed the prices for photos are lower. HAL dropped the old concession and the snappers aboard are way less intrusive and aggressive.

The prices in the gift shops also are lower and there are plenty of daily drink specials. Although, walking through the Lido Deck the other day I heard a server say ``last call.'' Shades of Royal Caribbean and not a good thing IMO.

Despite the lower prices and specials, Mariner's bill was ceremoniously delivered atop a laundry basket by Augusto this morning. Anyone who gets him will be very lucky. He's meticulous, increbibly fast and has a great sense of humor. He's one of the best stewards I've ever had since I started cruise in 1969.

We'll miss our waiter San-San and Agung. Dining at home just isn't the same.

Eric, our wine steward, has done an excellent job keeping pace with Mariner's taste for the grape. I've asked him to surprise us with a special bottle tonight.

And the bartenders and wait staff in the Crow's is fabulous. Ask Danny or Cesar for a Mariner.

Must get ready for a stone thingy with Chean in the spa. Have to get the muscles ready to haul off those bags. And thanks to my friend the captain, we've got Number One.

Overheard last night that there have been plumbing problems on Nav Deck starboard. We were fine on the port side.

So this wraps up thiese dispatches from the Maasdam. She's still a great ship, staffed by a fun and hard-working crew.

As you can tell, we're not typical cruise passengers. For us, this vacation is about relaxation, not tours and sightseeing.

We'll miss swimming in February in 78 degree water and talking to the hawkers about their islands. We'll miss late-afternoon naps and breakfast on the balcony. We'll miss making new friends with the crew and passengers. We'll miss our pre-dinner cocktails and post dinner dancing.

It short, the Maasdam delivered just what we were looking for.

I'll post some other observations once I collect my thoughts when I get home in a few days. At least we don't have to drive home tomorrow.

Overheard in the Upper Dining Room on Day Nine: ``Is that the lower dining room.''

Gelang salem rama

Tot Ziens

Mariner....

Thank you for so generously sharing your wonderful vacation with us.

I am so happy you and 'Madam' enjoyed yourselves so much. :)

(Please give a special hello for us to our mutual friends aboard.)

While it is sad you are leaving, that makes it all the sooner that we will get to board...once again....:) "My" (do I now have to share her with you??) Maasdam. :cool:

Enjoy your last night aboard and your stay in Norfolk. Have a safe trip home.

(Check you private mailbox :) )

Mariner, really enjoyed all your posts. Thanks ever so much for sharing your journey. Once I just adored our dining room steward and when he told us his contract was over when we arrived back in Fort Lauderdale, I asked him to come home with me (for more reasons than one;) ).... sadly, he declined. He promised us he'd be turning up in one of our fine restaurants, but I haven't found him yet. Wouldn't be the same anyway.

Look forward to anything more you have to tell us about your cruise. Meantime, safe home.

Hi Mariner

All I can say is that I wish I was still on the Maasdam when you were cruising! I used to work on there I returned home a few weeks ago, and it brought a smile to my face when you mentioned many of my dear friends onboard..like Danny and Heidi in the Crows. Cesar in the Piano bar. Jer the Senior Assistant Cruise Director who got promoted to Cruise Director. I was so excited to hear that..I had to email and give him a hard time about finding this exciting news on the internet instead from him. THe memories flooded back and made me feel homesick for the Maasdam! From a staff point of view its passengers like you who make our long days go by so much more smoothly! I'm headed back out in a couple weeks time, but to a new ship and a new adventure. To any of you that are sailing in the next little while please let Danny, Heidi, and Cesar know that "T" in Canada misses them all..and if you run across Jay in one of the lounges, ask him to make you a rose out of a napkin..you may just end up with a bouquet! Thanks Again for your stories!

T

Just found this thread today, Mariner. Loved every minute of your posts. How was your suite? Do the balconies for the suites have actual loungers or just chairs?

Thanks,

Kathy [/Quote]

I'm not Mariner but I know they are not yet home.

The "S" Suite verandahs have two lounge chairs, a round table and four chairs which is suitable for breakfast on your verandah etc and a small cocktail size table between the two lounges. It is VERY spacious and very comfortable.

for a great thread. We sail HAL for the first time, the Maasdam 11-05-05 and am enjoying the Hal boards much more than I ever did the Carnival board! Do I dare say that? Any way, thanks for all the info and looking forward to more thoughts on your cruise when you return.

M/M Mariner are home.

It seemed the captain gave an extra long tooot as he pulled away from Nauticus five minutes early.

I'll post some final thoughts tomorrow.

Ressa, I bet we have sailed together. But what you posted meant so much to us.

We're already answering e-mails from the ship and miss it terribly.

Told to M/M Mariner in the Crows: ``You two are the Norm and Cliff of the Maasdam.'' Badank!

Mariner (sigh)

Archived