Starting Nutri-System

Scotts73

I just placed my NS order today! yay! Have friends who have done very well on the program and they are telling me the food is a lot better than it used to be! ( I remember it from back in the 70's..BARF!)

Anyway, my order should arrive this week and I am pumped to get started! I have 4 months to lose before I cruise! I want to try for at least 20 pounds, but more would be great too! :D

Anyone joining me with Nutri-System?

I was on NS more than 10 years ago now and the food was not too bad....I went on it about two months ago and the food was horrid. They have something in it that caused it to go right through me. My doctor took me off the program right away and now I am on Jenny Craig. Loving JC and their food is fantastic. 6 pounds already gone in 2 weeks on the program. :D

• 2 months later...

I did NS a couple of years ago, but the food was nasty.

Now, they have NS Select, that includes some frozen food, so when my current promotion with Jenny is over, I might switch to NS.

I'm on the 'Lose 20 lbs for $20' 10 week promo which will take me to Nov 13. At that point, if they're not running another promotion, I'll quit their plan. Costs too much, and the food, while delicious, is very expensive. I figure, between their food, and the dairy/fruit/vegies I add, it's costing me about $23 per day. IMO, if you're not eating out, that seems like a lot.

There is no specific goal for me, I'm just tired of looking this way, and having to buy clothes at places like Lane Bryant and Woman Within. I don't care about my heart, I don't care about my 'core', it's pure vanity for me.

I am changing my relationship with food. I'm off to a slow start because I had a knee arthroscopy a couple of weeks ago, so my ability to exercise is limited, for now. Can't wait until I get the go ahead to get on the ellipitical again. Doing the bike now, but it doesn't burn calories nearly as quickly as the elliptical does.

My goal is to lose another 17 pounds by December 31. That's not my ultimate goal, just the piece I'm working on now.

Jenny is a lot more expensive than NS, that's for sure! Plus I like the idea of adding my own dairy/protein servings because I can customize the food to suit my own tastes much more effectively.

Trevoli- send me an email if you decide to do NS and I can hook you up with a promo code I've got. It will save you over $100 + 2 free weeks of food. When I started out someone saved me a bunch of money so I try to pay it forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey SusieV. I'm getting ready to start NS in November. Gotta lose alot of weight by August 2011 for my cruise. I went on one in 2007 disgusted with myself and another one this past August again disgusted with myself. I vow never again will I go on another cruise looking and feeling this way. My goal is 100 lbs so thats 10 lbs a month. I hope I can do it. Pretty sure I'm going to have join a gym. I sure would love to save some money on NS. Right now their doing 3 weeks free until the end of the year, I think.

I've been on NS since 7/15 and have lost 36 lbs. We're cruising in January and I should be close to my goal. I absolutely love this plan. I never knew that it could be so easy to lose weight. Be sure to stick to the plan exactly and drink lots of water. The water thing is very important, i don't get it.

Hey SusieV. I'm getting ready to start NS in November. Gotta lose alot of weight by August 2011 for my cruise. I went on one in 2007 disgusted with myself and another one this past August again disgusted with myself. I vow never again will I go on another cruise looking and feeling this way. My goal is 100 lbs so thats 10 lbs a month. I hope I can do it. Pretty sure I'm going to have join a gym. I sure would love to save some money on NS. Right now their doing 3 weeks free until the end of the year, I think.

Lanee, can you send me an email at susiev_18@hotmail.com? I can give you my promos then if you like.

Honestly... 10lbs a month is a little steep so I wouldn't set your sights that high only to be disappointed. I've lost 75lbs since February.

Since this is the most recent post about NS I chose this thread to post on.

I had great success in 2007 on NS, then I decided to sell my house and buy and the stresssss killed me.

I am back on NS, but not as successfu as last time. I find I dont crave any bad food, I can walk by the halloween bucket of chocolate. I do miss martinis on the weekend but find if I have one I am still ok.

Some of the foods for some strange reason, make me itch! Does anyone else have this situation?

When Im hungrier than usual I add quickly stir fried in pam spray veggies! Like, zucchini, red pepppers, onions..

Anyone have any tricks or ideas? The NS boards have some good ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
Since this is the most recent post about NS I chose this thread to post on.

I had great success in 2007 on NS, then I decided to sell my house and buy and the stresssss killed me.

I am back on NS, but not as successfu as last time. I find I dont crave any bad food, I can walk by the halloween bucket of chocolate. I do miss martinis on the weekend but find if I have one I am still ok.

Some of the foods for some strange reason, make me itch! Does anyone else have this situation?

When Im hungrier than usual I add quickly stir fried in pam spray veggies! Like, zucchini, red pepppers, onions..

Anyone have any tricks or ideas? The NS boards have some good ideas.

I haven't had any trouble with itching. Are you perhaps allergic to something in the meals?

I post all my tips in my weight loss blog, http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com I really love Nutrisystem- I have lost 79lbs so far and I don't feel deprived in the slightest. The program works and I feel great.

• 2 weeks later...

I am comaring diet plans. Can someone tell me (in a nutshell) what Nutrisystem's basic theory is? From what very limited info I have seen read and heard about it...it looks like they want you to eat their prepackaged food so you can't possibly cheat on either what foods you are eating or serving sizes. Am I close?

• 4 weeks later...
I am comaring diet plans. Can someone tell me (in a nutshell) what Nutrisystem's basic theory is? From what very limited info I have seen read and heard about it...it looks like they want you to eat their prepackaged food so you can't possibly cheat on either what foods you are eating or serving sizes. Am I close?

You don't just eat prepackaged food so it's not quite like that. Jenny Craig, I believe, is basically that since you only add fruits and veggies.

Nutrisystem is a low glycemic program that teaches you about healthy portion sizes and a balanced diet. I find the packaged food useful for convenience purposes, not so that I don't cheat on the portions. After all, if I really wanted to, I could always eat two, right?

Have you visited my blog, http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com/ It details my experience so far with Nutrisystem. I've lost nearly 80lbs in less than a year.

• 3 weeks later...

I started Nutrisystem in November (I know - what kind of nut starts a diet right before the holidays :p) and have been losing a steady 1-2 lbs. A week. The food isn't too bad, there are a lot of foods that I like and I really don't feel deprived at all. I'm doing the Select plan and find the frozen meals comparable to Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones. I have about 27 more lbs. To

lose and am hoping I can keep it off this time.

Susie, I'm off to read your blog right now.

Susan

• 2 months later...

Satchiesmom, how is it going for you? I'm now down over 119lbs and only 3lbs away from my original goal (I've since said 28lbs more).

Nutrisystem was a great choice for me- I feel great and look awesome.

I haven't had any trouble with itching. Are you perhaps allergic to something in the meals?

I post all my tips in my weight loss blog, http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com I really love Nutrisystem- I have lost 79lbs so far and I don't feel deprived in the slightest. The program works and I feel great.

I am going to go back and look at your blog. I need the inspiration and maybe we can share tips (or I can pick some up from you!!) I havent been able to go back on NS and be true and dedicated :( ....I find it tough being such a great cook for my family. Tasting is a b*tch!

Glad to see this thread pop back on my CP! Thanks.

cruisedivanj

I am going to go back and look at your blog. I need the inspiration and maybe we can share tips (or I can pick some up from you!!) I havent been able to go back on NS and be true and dedicated :( ....I find it tough being such a great cook for my family. Tasting is a b*tch!

Glad to see this thread pop back on my CP! Thanks.

cruisedivanj

I'd be happy to help if I can! My best tip is to try to make your meal similar to what you are serving your family. If they're having takeout pizza, make your NS pizza. Stuff like that. I also have some great flex meals that meet NS requirements that you could serve to your whole family (they'd just eat more than you would I assume).

You can do it!

I'd be happy to help if I can! My best tip is to try to make your meal similar to what you are serving your family. If they're having takeout pizza, make your NS pizza. Stuff like that. I also have some great flex meals that meet NS requirements that you could serve to your whole family (they'd just eat more than you would I assume).

You can do it!

Hi Susie:

I have been following along with your NS blog since you started. Way to go! You must be feeling fabulous.

I started NS last week, and I have to say that your blog influenced me to give it a try. I did NS in the 80's and the food wasn't even edible. I have a 4-month programme of 20 days NS per month...5 days on NS, 2 days "on your own" per week. Tomorrow is my first actual weigh in, but I was down 3.5 lb. yesterday. I'm definitely feeling better, and feeling positive that I can do this.

So far, so good. I am having no problems following the programme. I don't have too many choices on this programme, but so far I haven't run across anything I've hated. I like adding my own protein and fats, and the two days on my own give me some flexibility when I have to go out, which we do quite a bit.

I tried Jenny Craig last summer, for two months, and it worked great, the food was really good, but it was too expensive...it ended up being about $700 per month, although they initially told me it would be $350 per month. I did keep off the 20 lb. I lost on Jenny Craig, and am now trying to lose the rest of it on NS. Our next cruise is in September, so I hope to be a different person by then.

The NS plan is more about a continuing lifestyle for me, rather than a diet. It's just handy to have those prepackaged meals in place for days when I'm feeling "vulnerable" to the munchies.

What I'm trying to teach myself is the appropriate "internal dialogue"...what i have to say to myself when I'm tempted.

I do like the community over at NS....they're all really helpful and supportive. It feels kind of like CC over there!!!

Have a great week, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Susie:

I have been following along with your NS blog since you started. Way to go! You must be feeling fabulous.

I started NS last week, and I have to say that your blog influenced me to give it a try. I did NS in the 80's and the food wasn't even edible. I have a 4-month programme of 20 days NS per month...5 days on NS, 2 days "on your own" per week. Tomorrow is my first actual weigh in, but I was down 3.5 lb. yesterday. I'm definitely feeling better, and feeling positive that I can do this.

So far, so good. I am having no problems following the programme. I don't have too many choices on this programme, but so far I haven't run across anything I've hated. I like adding my own protein and fats, and the two days on my own give me some flexibility when I have to go out, which we do quite a bit.

I tried Jenny Craig last summer, for two months, and it worked great, the food was really good, but it was too expensive...it ended up being about $700 per month, although they initially told me it would be $350 per month. I did keep off the 20 lb. I lost on Jenny Craig, and am now trying to lose the rest of it on NS. Our next cruise is in September, so I hope to be a different person by then.

The NS plan is more about a continuing lifestyle for me, rather than a diet. It's just handy to have those prepackaged meals in place for days when I'm feeling "vulnerable" to the munchies.

What I'm trying to teach myself is the appropriate "internal dialogue"...what i have to say to myself when I'm tempted.

I do like the community over at NS....they're all really helpful and supportive. It feels kind of like CC over there!!!

Have a great week, everyone!

Yes, the community over there is great (well, with a few exceptions, but they're everywhere I guess!).

I agree with you about the convenience factor. I flex a lot of my meals as well but I do love the breakfasts especially and when I'm hungry there's no need to get takeout when a "takeout" meal is right there!

My girlfriend does JC and she spends at least 30% more than I do. I think she's crazy but as long as she's happy, that's what matters.

How is NS working for you? I'm happy to share any ideas/advice if I can!

• 2 months later...

No. I thought about it on my last cruise but then I decided that it's a vacation and I was okay with gaining a few pounds because I'll just get right back on track when I get home and lose them, and I did.

I didn't want to go to the hassle and I love cruise food, so I decided to go with it.

When are you going on your next trip? Have fun :)

No. I thought about it on my last cruise but then I decided that it's a vacation and I was okay with gaining a few pounds because I'll just get right back on track when I get home and lose them, and I did.

I didn't want to go to the hassle and I love cruise food, so I decided to go with it.

When are you going on your next trip? Have fun :)

................in 5 days!!!

I will gain 5 and loose it within 10 days when I return. most will be alcohol wt gain! haha It is only a 7 night cruise.

Im just concerned about keeping up with good fiber intake. I eat lots of salad on board and limit carbs....b/c I really have to.

Oh have a great time! I'm not going until January and hoping to be at goal by then. I also find that cruise weight tends to come off pretty quickly. I drink a lot onboard so I think I gained 11lbs on my last 12 night cruise but one week after getting home I had lost over 6 of it so I don't really worry. It's not "real" weight gain.

Most lines will have low GI carbs available if that helps you. Whole wheat breads and pastas, and starchy veggies like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and beans. Lots of fibre in those as well!

I'd be more worried about the salad dressings- they're delicious but deadly! I don't think I'v ever seen a low cal dressing on a ship. Hmm. Maybe I'll bring my own dressing next time I cruise!

Oh have a great time! I'm not going until January and hoping to be at goal by then. I also find that cruise weight tends to come off pretty quickly. I drink a lot onboard so I think I gained 11lbs on my last 12 night cruise but one week after getting home I had lost over 6 of it so I don't really worry. It's not "real" weight gain.

Most lines will have low GI carbs available if that helps you. Whole wheat breads and pastas, and starchy veggies like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and beans. Lots of fibre in those as well!

I'd be more worried about the salad dressings- they're delicious but deadly! I don't think I'v ever seen a low cal dressing on a ship. Hmm. Maybe I'll bring my own dressing next time I cruise!

Pasta isnt something I would eat on board and breakfast time, the whole wheat offered on board royal isnt so great. I do like their bran muffins tho..I love beans, but I also try to stay away from any carbs and I havent seen sweet potatoes on any ship either :( Dressings ARE a killer!! Better off with just wine vinegar. FIBER IS KEY............:):)