Starting Nutri-System

Scotts73

Pasta isnt something I would eat on board and breakfast time, the whole wheat offered on board royal isnt so great. I do like their bran muffins tho..I love beans, but I also try to stay away from any carbs and I havent seen sweet potatoes on any ship either :( Dressings ARE a killer!! Better off with just wine vinegar. FIBER IS KEY............:):)

Nutrisystem still has carbs, is it just on cruises that you avoid them? Just wondering.

That's too bad they don't have good whole wheat stuff, I am a Celebrity girl and they always have great options for me. I love their bread at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Actually, I just plain love the Aqua Spa Cafe. It's small portions of healthy food that still tastes wonderful.

Susie,

what I meant was...when I am not eating NS, I stay away from bad carbs (pasta, anything white...) and I do loveeeee a real whole wheat bread. We're going on Oasis, so Im hoping their healthier option, Solarium has a good whole wheat bread..Plus, Im excited there is Sushi on board (Izumi).

Another huge killer for me is salt...anything salty I stay away from- or TRY!

:)

You could take things along with you like the cereals, breakfast and lunch bars, dessert and snacks that don't require any heating. Or you could just try and flex your meals.

On the last cruise I took Luna bars with me. But I really didn't try to stay on plan much since I don't cruise that often. I had a temporary gain of 10 pounds but then took it all back off +2 more pounds by the end of the month.

I'll be on the Oasis in February as well and also assume the solarium will offer some better breakfast choices to me if I should want them.

beforeandafter3.jpg

before - 271 pounds / after - 185 (currently at 179)

Edited by sherilyn70

For those that want to try and flex their meals while on the cruise... here is the breakdown of what you should be eating.

Breakfast

1 Dairy/Protein Serving

1 Protein Serving

1 Fruit Serving

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Lunch

1 Fat Serving

2 Protein Servings

2 Vegetable Servings (2 Tbsp. Fat Free Dressing, if desired)

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Afternoon Snack

1 Dairy/Protein Serving

1 Fruit Serving

Dinner

2 Fat Servings

3 Protein Servings

1 Vegetable or Fruit Serving

1 Carbohydrate Serving

2 Vegetable Servings (2 Tbsp. Fat Free Dressing, if desired)

Dessert

1 Dairy/Protein Serving

1 Carbohydrate Serving

dairy/protein=12g carbs, 8g protein, 3g fat, 100 calories

vegetable=5g carbs, 2g protein, 25 caloires

fruit=15g carbs, 60 calories

carb=15g carbs, 3g protein, trace of fat, 80-120 calories

fat=45 calories, 5g fat

free food=anything 20 calories or less (you are allowed 3 of these a day)

**protein amounts are minimums, all other stats are maximums**

This is the women's plan with less than 100 to lose, if you are a man you add in your extra carbs... same with anyone that has over 100 pounds to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined nutrisystem this week and awaiting my food delivery .. tonight from UPS. So I will make day 1 tomorrow. I have 36 days until my cruise. I don't expect to lose my goal (85lbs) but I'd like to lose about 8-10lbs before the cruise.

I am a weight watchers member but its really not working for me right now. I love the idea of weight watchers and the meetings but I need something with structure and already prepared so I can take on the go.

I'm used to eating food such as lean cuisine/smart ones.. I find those easy to take for work and the portions are enough for me. I usually take a snack and have that if I'm still hungry while I'm working.

I told a friend of mine that I'm going to be trying this and she told me that the foods contain a lot of sodium. Do you find that to be true? I do drink a lot of water especially at work.

Thank you Sherilyn for the above post. I will print that out.

Edited by dajulieness

I told a friend of mine that I'm going to be trying this and she told me that the foods contain a lot of sodium. Do you find that to be true? I do drink a lot of water especially at work.

It seems that everyone loves to say that. NS is within the ADA guidelines for sodium intake. The average American is usually way over if they eat any fast food or junk food. What does she eat? :)

8-10 pounds should be very doable by the time of your cruise since you have 85 pounds to lose. My first few months I was losing about 3-4 pounds a week and then it slowly trickled down as I got thinner.

Edited by sherilyn70

It seems that everyone loves to say that. NS is within the ADA guidelines for sodium intake. The average American is usually way over if they eat any fast food or junk food. What does she eat? :)

8-10 pounds should be very doable by the time of your cruise since you have 85 pounds to lose. My first few months I was losing about 3-4 pounds a week and then it slowly trickled down as I got thinner.

She told me her grandfather did this and blew up like a balloon but now I'm thinking.. he probably had CHF. I looked at the sodium from a couple of the dinners and they were between 500-600. 20-25% of a daily sodium intake. Not bad for dinner. A smart-ones had about 700mg of sodium. (33%) I have a healthy heart and kidneys and I drink a lot of water(especially at work where I'm always moving) so I'm just letting that go.

The food came and it looks delicious and I might start tonight with dessert. lol.

The main thing to remember is that you are not required to eat salads. Your vegetables can be in any form you like. I love to saute mushrooms, onions and peppers and add them to my dinners at night. Grilled portabellas are great for topping and stuffing as well, same with bell peppers. Cauliflower ran quickly through a food processor can becom "rice" under any sauces or gravies and spaghetti squash and tomato sauce makes a great pasta like side dish and counts as 2 veggies. :D

Also remember that the foods are designed to appeal to the masses, so don't be afraid to add some spice to make them your own personal flavor and spice levels.

The number one rule though is eat everything!! Even if you're full. It's a lot of food if you're eating the right items but all of it is required to get proper nutrition. If you don't eat enough you could end up not losing weight believe it or not.

Edited by sherilyn70

The main thing to remember is that you are not required to eat salads. Your vegetables can be in any form you like. I love to saute mushrooms, onions and peppers and add them to my dinners at night. Grilled portabellas are great for topping and stuffing as well, same with bell peppers. Cauliflower ran quickly through a food processor can becom "rice" under any sauces or gravies and spaghetti squash and tomato sauce makes a great pasta like side dish and counts as 2 veggies. :D

Also remember that the foods are designed to appeal to the masses, so don't be afraid to add some spice to make them your own personal flavor and spice levels.

The number one rule though is eat everything!! Even if you're full. It's a lot of food if you're eating the right items but all of it is required to get proper nutrition. If you don't eat enough you could end up not losing weight believe it or not.

Cauliflower also becomes mashed potatoes.

My co-worker has lost 27 pounds so far on NS and has me motivated. One thing I don't see in this thread is anything about exercise. What type and how much exercise does everyone do?

Exercise isn't necessary if you don't wish to but it's great for your body. I exercise at least 3x a week for a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

If you decide to sign up and want me to send you a coupon to save $30, just send me an email at susiev_18@hotmail.com

My co-worker has lost 27 pounds so far on NS and has me motivated. One thing I don't see in this thread is anything about exercise. What type and how much exercise does everyone do?

I won't lie... I did barely any to lose my 92 pounds. I saw no point in trying to force myself to do something as part of weight loss if I knew I wouldn't be able to commit to it for life. A lot of people do the standard gym stuff, eliptical, treadmill, pilates, etc. I did yoga once a week for about 3-4 months but then I stopped, keep meaning to try and find a class I like again.

• 7 months later...

I am considering Nutrisystem. I did well on WW, but then the program (and leader) changed and I didn't lose much each week.

I would love to hear how people are doing on the program and after the program when you are eating real food again. Did it work? What helped? What didn't work?

Thanks,

Kathy

I am considering Nutrisystem. I did well on WW, but then the program (and leader) changed and I didn't lose much each week.

I would love to hear how people are doing on the program and after the program when you are eating real food again. Did it work? What helped? What didn't work?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I've been eating real food all along- if you visit my blog you'll see some great recipes. I've been stalled for a while due to lack of motivation but I have lost over 90lbs and kept it off. Just need to get motivated to take the rest off!

NS is great for convenience and not having to think about what you're eating, but as long as you learn about how to prepare a balanced diet, you'll be fine.

Susie

Thanks,

Kathy

I've been maintaining my 93 pound loss for over 1 year now. My 2 year anniversary with Nutrisystem was this month. I was only ordering a box every 3 months and this last time I ended with a backlog of food still sitting to be opened... so yesterday I officially canceled my auto shipment program. I have had no problems maintaining eating real food as long as I follow the values I was taught by Nutrisystem while losing the weight. Nutrisystem was very convenient for when I couldn't find the motivation and for all the times I kept making excuses about having nothing healthy to eat in the house and gave me the start I needed and took me all the way to the happy goal I met in just under 12 months.

*note the current program is NOT the same one that Susie and I lost our weight on so I cannot make any real claims for how well you could maintain or eat on your own after you follow their current setup. But I still encourage people to give it a try.

Edited by sherilyn70

Hi Kathy,

I've been eating real food all along- if you visit my blog you'll see some great recipes. I've been stalled for a while due to lack of motivation but I have lost over 90lbs and kept it off. Just need to get motivated to take the rest off!

NS is great for convenience and not having to think about what you're eating, but as long as you learn about how to prepare a balanced diet, you'll be fine.

Susie

Thanks, and Congratulations on your 90 pound weight loss. That is awesome. I have looked at your blog and will have to go back and look in more detail! Are you on regular food now? Have you tried the new Chef's meals?

I've been maintaining my 93 pound loss for over 1 year now. My 2 year anniversary with Nutrisystem was this month. I was only ordering a box every 3 months and this last time I ended with a backlog of food still sitting to be opened... so yesterday I officially canceled my auto shipment program. I have had no problems maintaining eating real food as long as I follow the values I was taught by Nutrisystem while losing the weight. Nutrisystem was very convenient for when I couldn't find the motivation and for all the times I kept making excuses about having nothing healthy to eat in the house and gave me the start I needed and took me all the way to the happy goal I met in just under 12 months.

*note the current program is NOT the same one that Susie and I lost our weight on so I cannot make any real claims for how well you could maintain or eat on your own after you follow their current setup. But I still encourage people to give it a try.

Congratulations, Sherilynn. I think it is wonderful that you lost so much weight and are finding it easy to follow the program and now do this on your own. I had seen some of your posts awhile back, and it really seemed to work for you then. I am always interested in seeing how people are doing a year later.

Edited by KCcruisin07

Thanks, and Congratulations on your 90 pound weight loss. That is awesome. I have looked at your blog and will have to go back and look in more detail! Are you on regular food now? Have you tried the new Chef's meals?

Hi Kathy, I still get the occasional order because sometimes I just don't have time to cook, especially when my husband is out of town on business. It's convenient to have a good choice nearby so that I don't just order a pizza because I am tired.

I can't get the new Chef's meals unfortunately or I would have ordered them. I live in Canada so we can't get any frozen entrees.

• 1 month later...

I would like to lose about 50 pounds and have finally come to the conclusion that I need structure and accountability to be able to lose, and keep the weight off. I've narrowed my choices to Nutrisystem and Weight Watchers to help me along this journey.

1. Is there a reason you chose Nutrisystem over Weight Watchers?

2. How easy or difficult is it to remain on the Nutrisystem plan when eating out or at special events?

3. Did or do you like the frozen entrees vs. the boxed items?

Thanks for any answers/comments you can provide.

I just read a comment from another Lose Before You Cruise thread...so let me make a correction. This will not be a journey, but a lifetime commitment as this time I not only want to lose the weight, but also keep it off. icon7.gif

I just read a comment from another Lose Before You Cruise thread...so let me make a correction. This will not be a journey, but a lifetime commitment as this time I not only want to lose the weight, but also keep it off. icon7.gif

I like that frame of mind, for life not just a diet!!!

Sorry I have not been on either so I can not help you there. Seems like they both have success stories and with the above frame of mind you are going to do great things. Sorry I cannot be more help in distinguishing between the two.

I like that frame of mind, for life not just a diet!!!

Sorry I have not been on either so I can not help you there. Seems like they both have success stories and with the above frame of mind you are going to do great things. Sorry I cannot be more help in distinguishing between the two.

Ncovert, thank you for the encouraging words. Looking at your before and after pictures, it looks like you have lost a LOT of weight. Way to go!

I would like to lose about 50 pounds and have finally come to the conclusion that I need structure and accountability to be able to lose, and keep the weight off. I've narrowed my choices to Nutrisystem and Weight Watchers to help me along this journey.

1. Is there a reason you chose Nutrisystem over Weight Watchers?

2. How easy or difficult is it to remain on the Nutrisystem plan when eating out or at special events?

3. Did or do you like the frozen entrees vs. the boxed items?

Thanks for any answers/comments you can provide.

1) Nutrisystem is about learning how to eat properly using nutritional food blocks. Weight Watchers... well my limited view of them is that they focus more on calories than actual nutrition.

2) It is very easy to stay on Nutrisystem when eating out since it's based on real foods.

3) I have never tried the frozen entrees. I used the boxed the entire time.

I have lost another 12 pounds since I stopped receiving their foods and I am now at 105 pounds lost. If you need structure I highly recommend Nutrisystem. If you need support, they have great forums as well. If you need local support and accountability through meetings then you may want to try Weight Watchers instead since they have local meetings/support available.