diamond status for grown kids

On our last cruise in June my children were all listed as Platinum. Their ages are 23, 20 and 17. They do not yet have 5 credits so they somehow inherited my status. I'm not sure what will happen when they no longer have my address (all are students). It would appear that they do not lose my status when they turn 18 because two are well past that age.

Yes, it is confusing. My son is 18 and he is our level (D). When I signed him up online to view his cruise credits, some were missing. He had been showing our credit level in the sidebar and his own level in "cruise history".

When I emailed them to add 3 missing credits to his cruise history, they removed the credits in the sidebar and left him with his (correct) amount of credits under cruise history.

Since he is D on his own I can't tell you what would have happened otherwise; my understanding was that all people in one's household had the level of the highest member but once they moved out they had to advance to the next level on their own merit. (but they would not lose their current level)

We took our youngest son on his first cruise when he was 17 and living at home. Signed him up for C&A. Two more cruises during his college years (with us). He was finishing up school and living at home the year we became diamond and his status was changed to diamond. Several years later we took son and fiance on cruise, he was still listed as diamond. Another cruise after they married, he was still listed as diamond and new wife became diamond also. Two older brothers very jealous. His cruise history has correct number of cruises but status is still diamond, same for wife.

Sherri:)

Perhaps I just caught the system off guard but my 2 sons, both over 18, and my NEW husband who has only cruised once were all granted platinum status based upon my cruise credits. We are sailing again in August. I wonder if this is a "fluid" perk dependant on who at the C&A desk you speak with!

Did the kid pay for it? Probably not....So No the kid did NOT earn it.

So by this logic a stay at home spouse who does not "pay" for the cruise should also not get a cruise credit? :D

I think RCI has at least" grandfathered in" adult children who earned a C&A status based on parents cruise status. Regardless of how they are handling the issue as of 2010 rules. My daughters lived at home when DH and I became diamond and they were diamond because of us. When they moved out and married they stayed diamond and their spouses became diamond after their first cruise with RCI. That status did not change with "new" rules. They and spouses are all still diamond - it was NOT taken away......

But I do agree that the above is one of the reasons there are so many D and D+ members. Of course the girls will not become D+ with DH and myself. They will have to earn the credits on their own to move up any levels beyond Diamond. :)

So by this logic a stay at home spouse who does not "pay" for the cruise should also not get a cruise credit? :D

I think RCI has at least" grandfathered in" adult children who earned a C&A status based on parents cruise status. Regardless of how they are handling the issue as of 2010 rules. My daughters lived at home when DH and I became diamond and they were diamond because of us. When they moved out and married they stayed diamond and their spouses became diamond after their first cruise with RCI. That status did not change with "new" rules. They and spouses are all still diamond - it was NOT taken away......

But I do agree that the above is one of the reasons there are so many D and D+ members. Of course the girls will not become D+ with DH and myself. They will have to earn the credits on their own to move up any levels beyond Diamond. :)

Ah, but the "stay at home mom" reaps the benefit of cruising with a paying spouse who lives at the same address....and that IS the difference. Too many FREEbie handouts these days. Whatever happened to "earning their own way"?

If you've cruised, you should get the cruise credit, regardless of who paid.

I agree, these are completed cruises.

I do have a problem with new spouses getting the same status as someone that has completed credits (and only cruised once). I think that is part of what the new rules are changing moving forward. (those that were grandfathered in prior to that ok.)

right or wrong the reality is...if you child sailed with you as a child and you became diamond they did too...as in the case of our dd...she sailed for the first time at 16 and joined C&A right after...she sailed again at 21 with us and a friend, still living at home and was platium with us...she sailed with me Feb 09 and I had just achieved Diamond and she was Diamond...now she moved out and on her own and is still Diamond...her status will stay diamond but her cruises toward d+ will not be based on what we sailed but what she sails.......I hope this helps!

unfortunately I believe the husband gets the same benefits as the wife...

And this is why there are an OVER-abundance od D and D+ members, hence a cut in benefits. When a kid turns 21, they should start at at ZERO cruises, and earn the points themselves.

Are we some what bitter. I take it you don't have any children and you personally pay for all your cruises yourself.

Did the kid pay for it? Probably not....So No the kid did NOT earn it.

I don't see how it would ever be possible to confirm who actually paid for a cruise. My daughter has funded some of her own and some we have paid for.

They also earn frequent flier miles when we purchase their airline tickets.

Archived