Book Excursions on shore or in advance???

Canuckdoc

I'd appreciate any and all input (I say this well aware of the fact that I may finish more uncertain than when I started).

I'll be in Alaska Sept 3rd to 10th.

Vancouver to Seyward on the Celebrity Millenium.

I'm eying up a package on line (not associated with celebrity) that gives you Whale watching in Juneau

Misty fiord in ketchikan

and glacier helicopter in Skagway

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Alaska-Shore-Excursions-s/173.htm

My hesitation is the fact that if the weather is not favorable for the activity of the day, then we're stuck.

What if the perfect day for whale watching comes on the day we're in skagway, or Juneau becomes the day that would be perfect for the Helicopter tour.

I know that you can do pretty much any activity at any port (many chances to whale watch for example)

Are we better off playing it by ear and booking on shore, or doing a pre-packaged purchace.

As far as packages go, how does that link above look?

I anxiously wait the sage advice of those who've been there

I would book excursions in advance so that you can carefully research the tour operator and so you can ensure you fnd the tour that you are most interested in. I realize that there are some who just book the tour at the pier but I think you take a chance there knowing absolutely nothing about the tour operator.

Keith

My 2cents

Looks like you have the iconic three tours lined up, with free time to.

Best whale watch are Juneau. I'm not sure in september if it is as good, but they do have a gurantee. I'd add Mendenhall glacier to the do list here.

Helicopter you have options out of Skagway and Juneau, but more operators out of Juneau. If you are in the port full day, might want to do that as well, would make for long day in Juneau and open up options in Skagway. BTW I took Temsco out of Skagway and they are first class operation there! The only thing to be aware of is that if you book independent they DON'T pick you up at the dock, and thus consider the timing your dock and flight as it was a good 30'+ for our walk, very very long.

Whether you do booking prior or not is very personal decision. All the tours operators I saw offered refunds if canceled due to weather or ship missing port, but if its raining or less than perfect they still go. Things like helicopter do sell out often but that depends on dates/# of ships in port. For our trip in Skagway was a perfect clear day and the evening before the docking yet there ere still helicopter / glacier landing and helicopter / dog sledding not sold out. Later at the Temsco office they told us they had many openings due to only 3 ships in port, YMMV. The three private operators I used I find it hard to figure out how you'd decide on port day to book them, would be hectic and uncertain. Why leave such things to chance and book in port except for the simpest of things. Yes there are vendors right at the dock selling every tour, we didn't stop to check prices nor availiability but there were hocking everthing based on the signs I saw and looked like middle men hocking what wasn't already presold out, probably not the best time.

Good luck!

I'd appreciate any and all input (I say this well aware of the fact that I may finish more uncertain than when I started).

I'll be in Alaska Sept 3rd to 10th.

Vancouver to Seyward on the Celebrity Millenium.

I'm eying up a package on line (not associated with celebrity) that gives you Whale watching in Juneau

Misty fiord in ketchikan

and glacier helicopter in Skagway

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Alaska-Shore-Excursions-s/173.htm

My hesitation is the fact that if the weather is not favorable for the activity of the day, then we're stuck.

What if the perfect day for whale watching comes on the day we're in skagway, or Juneau becomes the day that would be perfect for the Helicopter tour.

I know that you can do pretty much any activity at any port (many chances to whale watch for example)

Are we better off playing it by ear and booking on shore, or doing a pre-packaged purchace.

As far as packages go, how does that link above look?

I anxiously wait the sage advice of those who've been there

I never heard of anyone doing whale watching in Skagway.

If the weather makes a tour unsafe, it will be cancelled. The key is to have back-up plans in case your first choice does get cancelled. You want to have a solid Plan B in place.

I like having everything pre-booked. This maximizes your limited port times. If you don't have things in place, you will waste time looking for vendors. JMHO. I like to have my days well planned. In fact, on my recent Hawaii review someone commented that I did more in a day than some do in a week. I know many go on vacation to relax, but I do not. I go to see all I can at my destination. I will relax when I get home.

If you are trying to plan a trip to Alaska around the weather, you are FAR better off to just not go :)

Book in advance, have your ducks in a row when you arrive and maximize your port time. You won't find a "perfect" day anyway. Honestly, you are setting yourself up for failure and disappointment since your expectations are too high. If you set realistic expectations for the weather, you will have a great time.

It rained a bit during a recent Juneau whale watching, Misty Fjords was very cloudy and even a bit rainy when we got out of the plane, but still magnificent, and I almost got caught in a downpour in Skagway during a hike. I just dressed appropriately (layers, with the outer layer being waterproof) and the weather never bothered me.

My BTW I took Temsco out of Skagway and they are first class operation there! The only thing to be aware of is that if you book independent they DON'T pick you up at the dock, and thus consider the timing your dock and flight as it was a good 30'+ for our walk, very very long.

QUOTE]

I also replied elsewhere, all you have to do is take the SMART bus, if you don't want to walk.

I never recommend booking agents, and always book direct. You may be better off looking direct at whale watch operators, and flights operators.

No, it is NOT a good "idea" to wait for any of these tours until you are there. Helicopter flights are many times fully booked. Misty Fiords flight seeing can be available. Whale watches can be available. Problem is, are you willing to waste TIME, trying to arrange this when you get into ports, and have limited selections, and maybe inconvenient time slots open??

You are always way better off, having all your plans and reservations in place before you get there.

IF your "plan" is to wing it, - great, this is fine. And with that, you must be fully accepting of not getting tours.

Archived