On Deck for the Cure

odd man out

I recently saw reference to this fund raising effort on HAL cruises. Is this still going on? Will it be done on my Ryndam Alaska Cruise starting this week?

Wife is a breast cancer survivor (9 years) so it will be a big deal for us.

Oh yes, there will be a day for On Deck for the Cure. It's every ship and every trip.

Do you ever check out the Holland America Blog? There are some wonderful pictures of participants on the Maasdam. Very festive, very meaningful.

Best wishes to your wife:)

It's been my experience that this event happens on one of the last sea days, at mid-morning.

You'll get lots and lots of notice about it:) throughout the cruise. A flyer with details will be delivered to your cabin early in the cruise so that you may sign up. Signing up at the front desk works too.

Your contribution earns you a T-shirt, pink On Deck for the Cure bracelet, and a pink lemonade party.

It's an enjoyable, rewarding group happening!

As a guy who just missed the bullet (yes, it's not just a gal thing), I very much support it. And if you have trouble walking, make a donation, wave to the participants then grab a cookie and pink lemonade in your special t-shirt.

But not just your t-shirt, ok?

On Ryndam two weeks ago and participated in the Walk. I figure about 100-125 participated which is a good percentage of passengers. Did my 5K around the beautiful deck. I always participate on the HAL Walk for the Cure program. It's $15 well spent.

I recently saw reference to this fund raising effort on HAL cruises. Is this still going on? Will it be done on my Ryndam Alaska Cruise starting this week?

Wife is a breast cancer survivor (9 years) so it will be a big deal for us.

By all means, go out and participate in this wonderful event!!

One of co-worker is also a breast cancer survivor. I did the walk in her honor on my last HAL sailing.

You can walk at your own pace, no need to rush!

There was upbeat music and cheering staff and other passengers on the promenade. At the end, we all had pink lemonade and talked.

If you want a larger t-shirt, head to the front desk early in the cruise. They were out of the larger sizes closer to the walk date.

It's a great cause and walking help in goal!!

Just returned from Bermuda (Veendam) and there was a Walk for the Cure that was attended by at least 100 people. It was @ 2PM (a little warm out!!) After there was a Champagne / cake / lemonade party that the Captain attented. The survivors in attendance cut the cake and the Captain mentioned that HAL had just reached the $2 Million dollar mark in contributions. It was very nice (and the Captain stayed after and spoke to myself and a few friends for 15 minutes!) The nicest Captain we have ever met on any of our cruises.

By all means, go out and participate in this wonderful event!!

One of co-worker is also a breast cancer survivor. I did the walk in her honor on my last HAL sailing.

You can walk at your own pace, no need to rush!

There was upbeat music and cheering staff and other passengers on the promenade. At the end, we all had pink lemonade and talked.

If you want a larger t-shirt, head to the front desk early in the cruise. They were out of the larger sizes closer to the walk date.

It's a great cause and walking help in goal!!

We walked in the cure on the Eurodam last Feb. just before my wife had her surgery and just prior to her chemo for breast cancer. The support she got from others walking was nothing less than fantastic. Makes you feel good to see folks ban together, sweat a little, drink some pink lemonade and support a good cause. We signed up late and they were all out of T-shirts so get there early. (Guest Relations desk)

Hot tip: If you are out of shape like me you can keep up with the faster types by ducking into a side door on one side and out the other. Best 5 K time I ever had.

I just returned from the Amsterdam's Alaska Adventure cruise yesterday. I participated in the "On Deck for the Cure" walk. On our trip is was held on the last sea day at 2:00 in the afternoon. The walk was held in conjuction with one on the Niew Amsterdam where Susan B Kolman herself was present to accept HAL's going over the $2,000,000 mark in donations from passengers and HAL.

To see a few pictures check out my blog and click on day 13. They make a nice celebration out of the event and honor survivors too.

HAL is very involved with Susan G. Komen Foundation and has raised a great deal of money from these walks. Headquarters has walks as do crew on the ships sometimes. There is no pressure for anyone to walk beyond what they are comfortable doing. There are always folks who stand on the side cheering the walkers and it's a wonderful event. It is held on every HAL ship, every cruise.

Though the 'sign up slip' says $15, that is a minimum and for that you receive the t-shirt, bracelet and are enrolled to walk if you wish. Anyone who wishes is more than welcome to contribute more. Whatever sum you donate will be charged to your onboard account.

Though the 'sign up slip' says $15, that is a minimum and for that you receive the t-shirt, bracelet and are enrolled to walk if you wish. Anyone who wishes is more than welcome to contribute more. Whatever sum you donate will be charged to your onboard account.

Thank You too!

Archived