On Deck for the Cure

odd man out

Is there any way to run this, e.g., on the treadmill?

I participated last March on Eurodam with 50-75 folks. It's a great event.

You could go to the sign up, and then go to the fitness area and dedicate your work out that day to On Deck for the Cure. You just wouldn't have a bunch of people doing the same thing.

Are these done on the 7-night cruises (i.e. Rotterdam next week in Alaska)? My mom is a survivor and will be sailing...she would love to do this!

Yes, they're done on every cruise.

Probably the 1-night, and possibly the 3-night cruises are excluded from that. :confused:

Just to clarify: Susan Komen was NOT on the NA last week--it was her sister, Nancy (?) Brickner, who accepted the large check from HAL. Years ago, I was on a flight from DC to PDX via Dallas, and I sat next to a woman, from Texas, who told me she'd been in DC "agitating" to get more recognition/funding for Breast Cancer research and trying to get a foundation started in memory of her sister. Her name was Nancy--and I have a feeling that she might be the same person. If so, her dreams were realized many times over.

We were on the Zandaam in March, and Cancer survivors were asked to be at the head of the line for the race. I was one of them--as any one who was any kind of cancer survivor, was invited to be there. It was great to be part of that group and of the race! Ciao hmh:)

Ambassador Nancy Brinker

Susan G. Komen for the Cure

In 1982, Brinker established Susan G. Komen for the Cure, after a promise to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. Since its inception, the nonprofit has raised over $1.5 billion[9] for research, education and health services,[10] making it the largest breast cancer charity in the world.[11] Komen has more than 75,000 volunteers nationwide, 122 affiliates in the United States (47 of 50 states), and 3 affiliates in other countries. The organization has resulted in the development of many new treatment options and a higher quality of life overall for breast cancer patients and long-term survivors.[12][13] Brinker served as founding chairman of the organization, supervising all aspects of initial growth,[14]. On December 2, 2009, Brinker was appointed CEO.[1] She also pioneered cause marketing, allowing millions to participate in the fight against breast cancer through businesses that share Komen's commitment to end the disease.[15] Susan G. Komen for the Cure received Charity Navigator's highest rating, four stars.[16]

from Wikipedia

DH and I walked on the Noordam and the Zuiderdam in honor of my cousin Shelba who has been fighting breast cancer for 3 years now. We took pictures and when we returned home sent them to her. The second time I ordered a T-shirt in her size and gave it to her....she was excited and told me she would wear it to her chemo treatments. I am so very glad that Holland America has this walk on all of their ships.

I am thrilled to read about this! What a wonderful effort on HAL's part and I will not miss it on our October cruise.

Hi Terry!

We did a similar charity walk on Mariner of the Seas back in February. Over 300 participated @ $10 each for a tee shirt to help the Make A Wish Foundation. At the time, it was a fleet record, raising over $3000.

Best to Woody!

Rick and Deirdra

Hot tip: If you are out of shape like me you can keep up with the faster types by ducking into a side door on one side and out the other. Best 5 K time I ever had.

Thanks for the tip Les! This may be just what I needed to drag DH over to the walker side!:p

cheers,

Lemur

Over the last 9 months I've had an overian cancer, cervical cancer and breast cancer scare. Had my ultrasound and mammo earlier this week and I'm fine (thank the good lord). I'm going to do this in December when we go on the Niew Am.

Does anyone know if I can take my 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son on the walk? I will donate for 3 people. Thanks.

When we were on the Eurodam last December we did the walk for the cure. My wife has been fighting Cancer for the past 5 years. Although she does not have breast cancer one of the chemos she gets was developed for breast cancer and they found it works for her cancer too. She was not able to walk the long distance so we had rented a wheel chair and put her in it and my DD and myself took turns pushing her. She walked the last 100 feet. They really made it nice, they had all the survivors lead the walk. We met many friends and my wife got lots of encouragement from everyone there. We are planning another cruise this December as long as my wife is off chemo and we will walk again.

Archived