Best forward viewing area?

lilacbirman

Looking at the deck plans I am unable to see an area that our family of six can sit indoors to get a great forward view while cruising the inside passage.

Fifteen years ago we were on the original Crown Princess which had a lounge in the forward part of the ship. We would sit, have a drink and had a fabulous panaramic view out the front and both sides of the ship. Looks like the Sapphire's only indoor area with great views is the fitness center. :(

Am I missing something?

Looking at the deck plans I am unable to see an area that our family of six can sit indoors to get a great forward view while cruising the inside passage.

Fifteen years ago we were on the original Crown Princess which had a lounge in the forward part of the ship. We would sit, have a drink and had a fabulous panaramic view out the front and both sides of the ship. Looks like the Sapphire's only indoor area with great views is the fitness center. :(

Am I missing something?

No indoor forward viewing area unless you are with the Captain on the Bridge.

This is IMHO one of the biggest design errors that Princess makes on their ships. To me there should always be a top deck forward lounge where you can sit inside and watch the world go by. I also like the buffet to be on the top deck aft with a seating area outside also.

I'm not sure why they don't like this design that most other lines have on their ships. I also want a promenade deck wide enough to fit loungers on.

I'm not sure why they don't like this design that most other lines have on their ships. I also want a promenade deck wide enough to fit loungers on.

The Sapphire/Diamond/Island/Coral all have a wider Promanade deck with full teak loungers.

Skywalkers would be a great alternative.

Close but you really don't get the full forward view. On the Grand class ships it is the best place to watch the world go by and usually very quiet.

Am I missing something?

This is IMHO one of the biggest design errors that Princess makes on their ships. To me there should always be a top deck forward lounge where you can sit inside and watch the world go by. I also like the buffet to be on the top deck aft with a seating area outside also.

I'd agree that there should be a forward viewing lounge on the Grand-class ships. Luckily the Sun-class and the Island/Coral's Horizon Court is forward and not aft and has great panoramic views.

And yeah, Skywalker's would be a great vantage point from the Sapphire although you'd have a limited view forward.

The forward Horizon Court is one of the things I love about the Coral. We'll head up for coffee at the first light and enjoy the passing scene - particularly wonderful in Alaska!

Problem with that is the table hogs all day long who don't eat and are too lazy to get up and go outside. :rolleyes:

seems to me back in the 1990's the Sky Princess had a forward lounge u could sit in and watch the entire forward movement of the ship.It was indoors and always empty when i saw it.:)

The bow area, nothing on the Sapphire. I did find the bow viewing pretty empty during even during the Tracy Arm senic, surprising but I guess everyone wanted to use their balcony to get the premium they paid for it, including me :o

The skywalkers lounge has a nice birdseye view, but I suspect you'd have to be a hog or get there early to get your 6 prime seats. There you can get about a 180+ view.

You on a roundtrip? I thought the Sapphire is only doing outside, I don't count all the straight/fjord sailings as "inside" as they are west of Vancouver Island etc.

Enjoy the cruise it is AWESOME

Am I missing something?

58300566_120SeaDay.jpg.9696d81fb0dc0c4bd759e05819a2b709.jpg

The absence of a forward indoor lounge, such as the Crow's Nest on HAL ships, for sightseeing while under way is a major drawback. Skywalker Lounge located aft on all of the Princess ships on which we've sailed is a very poor alternative. It is a much more enjoyable experience to see where you're going rather than where you've been.

Or they sit there all day and play cards.

As long as the person is actually sitting there in the seat I don't have a problem with them using the space since they paid their money to be there. What annoys me is when ppl leave item like towels, books, games, etc to save a spot and are somewhere else on the ship.

I too found this odd last year when we did a NB Alaskan cruise on the Diamond. A couple of outdoor alternatives that I can suggest:

1) covered promenade area at the bow. a really great area for viewing scenery and wildlife. BUT it's very cold and windy so come prepared. With the appropriate clothing (hats and gloves included!) we were able to stay for a long while and it was hardly ever crowded. Also, nowhere to sit here.

2) I think it's the Sun or Sports deck, all the way forward. There is a small observation area there. It's the deck with the tennis courts. This also has good views but can be cold and windy, but not as bad as the 1st alternative.

Archived