Automatic gratuities?

Keeper420

Okay so I know that NCL charges you $12/person/day for gratuities and it is on the bill at the end of your cruise. I have also heard that you can have it taken off your bill and give the money to your steward, concierge, butler, etc. individually. After having read some posts I have determined that giving money by hand is not a good idea because there is numerous people that get a piece of that pie that I will never see. But I have a different question:

What if we are unhappy or overly happy with our service? Can we go to guest services and reduce/increase the per person, per day rate by 1 or 2 bucks. Say that we were very unhappy with the service could we pay only 11 bucks per day per person? say we were overly happy with the service, could we pay 13 bucks per person per day? By doing this people would still get some money but NCL would also be aware of ways to make things better. And vice-versa!

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is this just an off-the-wall suggestion, or does it make sense?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I do not know if you can do that.

I do know my steward went through hell because of some problems I had with my room. I tipped him handsomely the night before I left the ship. There were a couple bartenders that were fun attentive and special to us so they got extra tips as well.

My wife asked our favorite bartender if cash or an tip on the bill was better for him and he told us cash was way better. He gets it right away. It goes to who you want it to and not split up. He does not have to wait up to 30 days to get it from the ship.

Okay so I know that NCL charges you $12/person/day for gratuities and it is on the bill at the end of your cruise. I have also heard that you can have it taken off your bill and give the money to your steward, concierge, butler, etc. individually. After having read some posts I have determined that giving money by hand is not a good idea because there is numerous people that get a piece of that pie that I will never see. But I have a different question:

What if we are unhappy or overly happy with our service? Can we go to guest services and reduce/increase the per person, per day rate by 1 or 2 bucks. Say that we were very unhappy with the service could we pay only 11 bucks per day per person? say we were overly happy with the service, could we pay 13 bucks per person per day? By doing this people would still get some money but NCL would also be aware of ways to make things better. And vice-versa!

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is this just an off-the-wall suggestion, or does it make sense?

Thanks in advance for your input.

........and we're off to the races. :D

I am actually not trying to be cheap. I have already decided to pay the 12/person/day charge. But I keep seeing that some people were unhappy with their service so other than just coming on here and posting their gripes I was wondering if they lowered there gratuities by a dollar or two if that would help rectify future cruisers gripes and point NCL in the direction of improvement. Just trying to be helpful actually.

I am actually not trying to be cheap. I have already decided to pay the 12/person/day charge. But I keep seeing that some people were unhappy with their service so other than just coming on here and posting their gripes I was wondering if they lowered there gratuities by a dollar or two if that would help rectify future cruisers gripes and point NCL in the direction of improvement. Just trying to be helpful actually.

NCL have the idea of STYLE cards

(Service, Teamwork and Yes Lead to Excellence)

These are used to recognize strong performers. Promotions are influenced by the Style cards....if you want to recognize a good teammember, fill in a card.

If you're concerned about one, mention them to the Supervisor, Manager, or if its egregious, to the Hotel Director.

Then leave the tips as-is... you can't have the $1 lower per day removed from a specific individual.

Besides, you'll have a great time...they are a phenomenal crew.

Service on NCL ships is terrific. No reason to reduce the service charge. Some people are just cheap and want to find reasons to avoid tipping the crew. Some people are unhappy with life. Does that make you want to stop living? Griping is a way of life with some people. Unfortunately, too many of them are regulars on Cruise Critic.

Stop worrying about something that is a non-issue.

Service on NCL ships is terrific. No reason to reduce the service charge. Some people are just cheap and want to find reasons to avoid tipping the crew. Some people are unhappy with life. Does that make you want to stop living? Griping is a way of life with some people. Unfortunately, too many of them are regulars on Cruise Critic.

Stop worrying about something that is a non-issue.

my dh and i always pay our gratuities before our cruise with our final payment. when we meet our room steward, we always give him or her a 5.00 tip and let them know we appreciate them up front. they work so hard for all of us. i do not mind giving a little extra in the beginning.

my dh and i always pay our gratuities before our cruise with our final payment. when we meet our room steward' date=' we always give him or her a 5.00 tip and let them know we appreciate them up front. they work so hard for all of us. i do not mind giving a little extra in the beginning.[/quote']

then at the end of the cruise, we tip them with a phone card and money. so if you tip upfront boy it goes a long way. they do not expect you to do that.

then at the end of the cruise' date=' we tip them with a phone card and money. so if you tip upfront boy it goes a long way. they do not expect you to do that.[/quote']

Sounds a bit like a bribe to me! :eek:

Personally I would be insulted. :(

I know that is absolutly not your intention and I'm sure no crewmwmber would ever say so but that's how I would feel.

The crew on NCL take great pride in the service the provide and they don't need to be bribed.

Nothing but strong competitors and/or decrease in sales will point this cruise line in the direction of improvement.

Unless something really "outstanding" happens, we'll stay with automatic gratuities and tip our steward extra (as usual).

We know these people are working hard.

Those responsible for the epic mess are getting their $$$$$ regardless the amount of gratuities.

Nothing but strong competitors and/or decrease in sales will point this cruise line in the direction of improvement.

Unless something really "outstanding" happens, we'll stay with automatic gratuities and tip our steward extra (as usual).

We know these people are working hard.

Those responsible for the epic mess are getting their $$$$$ regardless the amount of gratuities.

You're doing better. This time at least 1 of your paragraphs was relevant to the topic. Still 2 of 3 simply intended to bash NCL. An improvement for sure.

You're doing better. This time at least 1 of your paragraphs was relevant to the topic. Still 2 of 3 simply intended to bash NCL. An improvement for sure.

Maybe a week at sea will distract you from criticizing CC posters instead of discussing the cruising matters.

Sincerely good vacation to you and your keyboard. + good weather!:)

I know that is absolutly not your intention and I'm sure no crewmwmber would ever say so but that's how I would feel.

The crew on NCL take great pride in the service the provide and they don't need to be bribed.

Couldn't agree more. Never tipped a dime in advance--would embarrass me to treat a crew member in such a demeaning fashion--and never had anything but excellent service.

Maybe a week at sea will distract you from criticizing CC posters instead of discussing the cruising matters.

Sincerely good vacation to you and your keyboard. + good weather!:)

Thanks for the good wishes. I think you're just happy you don't have to see me post here for a week. :p

Hold the phones---it's a bribe at the beginning of the cruise but expected at the end, so then it's NOT a bribe? I'm confused!

There is a survey you fill out at end of cruise. If your Room Steward was very good mention him/her here. They hear about it and helps with promotions. Same with a waiter. Write their name down then on the survey write their name at the end. If it was poor service this is where you write it too (names of the poor ones eventally end up waving bye on the dock, they do get fired if too many complaints) They have a three strike rule I believe.

Hold the phones---it's a bribe at the beginning of the cruise but expected at the end, so then it's NOT a bribe? I'm confused!

For the vast majority of staff on NCL a tip is never expected or required either before or after service is performed their services being covered by the DSC. (exceptions: Concierge, Butler, Kid's Club staff)

A tip for exceptional service is always appreciated but is NEVER required or expected.

Sorry to disappoint you but I will not be dragged into this discussion. Your attitude to the DSC/tipping is well known and I will not debate it with you.

For the vast majority of staff on NCL a tip is never expected or required either before or after service is performed their services being covered by the DSC. (exceptions: Concierge, Butler, Kid's Club staff)

A tip for exceptional service is always appreciated but is NEVER required or expected.

Sorry to disappoint you but I will not be dragged into this discussion. Your attitude to the DSC/tipping is well known and I will not debate it with you.

point taken. I'm done. Ouch.

Archived