who here carries thier passport with them

csoud

This is the case that was recommended to us by our local dive shop. They take a group annually to Coco View in Roatan and they said this is what they use.

http://www.witzsportcases.com/id-badge-holders/passport-locker.html

Also with regard to the passport card you might as well just carry a copy of your passport instead of the passport card. You cannot fly anywhere using the passport card. The only use it would be is to help the embassy identify you and provide your passport number so they can generate a replacement passport more efficiently. and a copy of your passport would do the same thing.

Hi: Can you tell us how to get a "passport card". We have regular passports, which we prefer to leave in the cabin's safe and keep cc's of each with us. (We each carry the others as well).

A small 'passport card' sounds great.

Thanks in advance for your help. We live in NJ if that matters.

You just apply for a Passport Card, just like a regular passport.

However, they're not much good for cruising. I'm not sure that a PP card is accepted to return to the US by sea. I know it is not acceptable for return by air, so taking a PP card ashore is the same as taking no passport at all. It won't do you any good if you have to fly home.

PP cards were designed for people who live along the Canadian or Mexican borders and need to drive across frequently.

BTW, when a cruise line collects passports, it is usually required by the laws of one or more of the ports of call. It is NOT a cruise line requirement. So, for those of you who think you should refuse to surrender your passports, make sure you get a good spot on the pier to photograph your ship sailing away without you.

I really don't understand the reluctance to take a passport ashore. That is its entire reason for existence: to facilitate travel in foreign countries. IMHO, leaving it in the cabin safe is equivalent to leaving it on your kitchen table at home. In either case, it will do you no good if you ever find yourself in a situation that requires one. A photocopy MAY help the US Embassy of Consulate expidate a replacement passport, but it is no good in and of itself.

Sure, it can be lost or stolen, but so can you S & S card, your DL, cash, cameras, credit cards, purses or wallets. Most of us take some, if not all, of those things ashore.

As long as a certified birth certificate will get me back in the US, I will take my passport ashore, and leave a BC in the cabin safe. If I miss the ship, I can fly home or to the next port without worrying about that. If it is lost or stolen, I can still get back in the US with my BC.

To each his/her own. YMMV.

Paul

I have not read the entire thread so this may have already been addressed but if not, I wanted to offer a different perspective. As a citizen of a country other than the US we had our passports taken by the cruiseline on the first 9 cruises we took. This was with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Passports were taken at check in and were returned either very early on disembarkation day or on later voyages, the day before. We had no choice but to go into port without our passports. I've been told on these boards that others would never agree to hand over their passports and we should have refused. We could indeed have done that but we would not have been permitted to sail. Not much to think about.

For whatever reason, since 2008 we have not been required to hand over our passports on the three lines we've sailed. For twenty years we travelled to ports with our passports in the cruiseline's possession. Our personal choice is to still leave them on board. My niece had her passport pickpocketed in Paris two years ago. Big hassle. I'd rather know where it is. JMO

I have a friend who works on a cruise ship, as an employee her passport was taken at the start of her contract and held with security until the end of her contract. She told me this was for 2 reasons, so employees don't "jump" ship, and so they don't lose them and cause issues. No matter the reason she wasn't in possesion of her passport for 2 months and she often visited many of the ports, sure she had cruise employee ID.

I really don't understand the reluctance to take a passport ashore.

What's most interesting, is that half of you never leave the ship without it, and half of us never leave the ship with it. :) This has to be one of the most slippery questions to get a simple answer to. But the way we tour... our passports wouldn't last the entire week if we took them with us.

5RubyPrincess099o.jpg

5RubyPrincess250.jpg

What's most interesting, is that half of you never leave the ship without it, and half of us never leave the ship with it. :) This has to be one of the most slippery questions to get a simple answer to. But the way we tour... our passports wouldn't last the entire week if we took them with us.

5RubyPrincess099o.jpg

5RubyPrincess250.jpg

Now I remember your cool photos and adventures..I think photocopies of liscense and passport and leave it in safe..your ship card and whatever in some water proof thing with the photocopies..maybe laminated photocopies:D..thanks for your previous adventure sharing..great photo album I recall...sjn911.

i just read the most horrific story imagineable about someone getting pick pocketted and losing thier id AND passport. the cruis ship wouldnt let them back on the ship and they were in a foriegn country. :eek:

What am i missing here, in this story? I never ever have taken my passport off the ship..i take my sail pass, drivers license, a credit card and some cash. that is all. This guy made it sound liike he needed his passport to get back on the ship. what is that all about?

If i lose everything, i still have my passport, and most of my cash onboard. i then would just have to call my bank. what that guy posted was the nightmare of all nightmares.

If you missed ship, what would you do in foreign port? Wave bye to the safe?:eek:

Well, let me ask this. Did you ever ask what the cruiseline did with those passports while you were in port?

Taking and holding passports in not an uncommon events, especially on the luxury lines and in Europe. No one thinks a thing about it.

5RubyPrincess099o.jpg

5RubyPrincess250.jpg

Let's hope none of us has to "test" our theories....I was thinking the same last week on the insurance thread...buy insurance or just let Coast Guard take care of you??? Guess the best would be to never have to find out!

Here is another vote for having our passports with us whenever we are on foreign soil:) That is the whole idea of having a passport, right??:confused:

Of course, it would take a complete body cavity search :eek: to find it on us, but we always have them on us.

As others have said before, to each his own, and you need to do what makes you comfortable.

You just apply for a Passport Card, just like a regular passport.

However, they're not much good for cruising. I'm not sure that a PP card is accepted to return to the US by sea. I know it is not acceptable for return by air, so taking a PP card ashore is the same as taking no passport at all. It won't do you any good if you have to fly home.

PP cards were designed for people who live along the Canadian or Mexican borders and need to drive across frequently.

BTW, when a cruise line collects passports, it is usually required by the laws of one or more of the ports of call. It is NOT a cruise line requirement. So, for those of you who think you should refuse to surrender your passports, make sure you get a good spot on the pier to photograph your ship sailing away without you.

I really don't understand the reluctance to take a passport ashore. That is its entire reason for existence: to facilitate travel in foreign countries. IMHO, leaving it in the cabin safe is equivalent to leaving it on your kitchen table at home. In either case, it will do you no good if you ever find yourself in a situation that requires one. A photocopy MAY help the US Embassy of Consulate expidate a replacement passport, but it is no good in and of itself.

Sure, it can be lost or stolen, but so can you S & S card, your DL, cash, cameras, credit cards, purses or wallets. Most of us take some, if not all, of those things ashore.

As long as a certified birth certificate will get me back in the US, I will take my passport ashore, and leave a BC in the cabin safe. If I miss the ship, I can fly home or to the next port without worrying about that. If it is lost or stolen, I can still get back in the US with my BC.

To each his/her own. YMMV.

Paul

Thanks for the info about the passport card. Since most of our cruises are Caribbean, we take ccs of the passports, other id's, etc. We'll probably do the same with our next 2 cruises. We'll leave original in the safe as we generally do and hope all will be well.

When we fly, we know we need the Passport Book so that's no problem. If we're in a Hotel, we place in the safe in the room.

Thanks again!

Children under 16 don't normally have a DL or picture ID. What then?

We always leave our passports in the safe and take scanned copies of each on shore.

Check with the Kansas drivers license bureau. Texas issues a "government issued" ID card to minors. I obtained one for our grandson prior to taking him on a cruise.

Ask what document(s) are required. As I recall, we only needed his birth certificate.

If you missed ship, what would you do in foreign port? Wave bye to the safe?:eek:

You have more control over whether you miss the ship, than control over someone pick-pocketing you.

It's about the odds.

Taking and holding passports in not an uncommon events, especially on the luxury lines and in Europe. No one thinks a thing about it.

That's great, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know why, where they keep them, and what they plan to do should I need it while in port.

The following is from Cruise Critic ...

Minimize your loss in the event you are victimized by a thief. Take just one or two credit cards and a minimal amount of cash ashore with you. Unless absolutely unavoidable, never go ashore with your actual passport; bring a photocopy of the data pages. Spread out your valuables among your various pockets and bags, as well as among members of your travel party.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=148

Archived