Athens Veterans

gebo

You've been there; tell me. I spend 3 days in Athens solo before boarding my ship. Should I take extra precautions, and where should I not go alone? Let me know if this should be posted on the solo board. thanks.

I've visited Athens before but only for a day on a port stop. However, I'll be staying in Athens for 4 nights (solo) after my cruise ends. I'm not particularly worried about anything other than taking the usual, careful precautions against pickpockets -- same as in Italy or Spain.

Is there something that particularly concerns you?

As with any place full of tourists, pickpocket/purse snatching is a problem. It is a safe place for tourist as far as violent crime is concerned.

Do watch out for taxi rip-offs. Even the local complain about this.

You've been there; tell me. I spend 3 days in Athens solo before boarding my ship. Should I take extra precautions, and where should I not go alone? Let me know if this should be posted on the solo board. thanks.

Hey Gebo....I lived in MGM until about three years ago. Great town. Still come down and play golf with the old crowd when I can. In fact I'll be there net week-end.

The warnings about pick pockets should be taken very seriously! We saw 2 people get picked within about a 30 min time frame last fall wehen we were there. Both entering or exiting the metro....be very careful.

What specific precautions do you suggest against pickpockets?

Nothing specific to worry about Greece. I've been to France, Italy, and Asia alone. Just never want to stumble into the wrong area etc.

Hey Seabees, yes Montgomery is a nice little town; it is getting better all the time. Have you been downtown to the new riverfront/ alley area? Joe Dimagios' nephew has a pizza place and there's acouple of other good places (barbeque, and seafood). It's been really hot lately; heat advisories.

When I'm traveling and staying in a hotel in a large city (rather than visiting for a day on a ship), these are the precautions I usually take:

1) I leave my passport and at least one credit card in the hotel safe. The passport isn't needed, and the credit card is a hedge against someone taking (or me losing) whatever I'm carrying with me.

2) If I have a lot of cash, I leave some of that in the safe as well. Only carry what you will need for the day.

3) I carry a purse, but I keep my cash, credit cards, etc in a money belt. There are various kinds -- some go around your waist or neck, others attach to your belt (but go inside your pants), etc. Just find something that works for you.

4) I don't wear a lot of jewelry anyway, but it's worth mentioning that if you have jewelry that is expensive or irreplaceable, you might want to also leave it in the safe (or leave it at home, unless you want it for the cruise portion of your trip).

5) Be aware of your surroundings. Don't look clueless and don't be inattentive. I see travelers all the time who do things like put their purse on the chair behind them, put their bag on the ground while they stop to take a picture or study a map, etc.

In the areas of Athens where most tourist sites are, I don't think there is much to worry about from a violent crime perspective. In general, you've got a much greater risk of running into violent crime in an American city. (I live in Atlanta, btw, not exactly one of the world's safest cities in some areas!)

As with any place full of tourists, pickpocket/purse snatching is a problem. It is a safe place for tourist as far as violent crime is concerned. Do watch out for taxi rip-offs. Even the local complain about this.

Excellent suggestions and comment above, plus Cynthia has some offered great items/factors to consider.

My strong view is that the closer you can stay to, in or around the Plaka, then the better off you will be. We stayed at the AVA Hotel that deservedly gets very high ratings from TravelAdvisors. As you get more in the "regular" or other areas of Athens, then the risks go up. As the below pictures show, there are crowds in Athens, but I would not consider them as "bad". It is at points when getting on and off of subway cars, buses, etc., where there are "pressures and movements" that the pickpockets like to do and use. It is at these "points of change" and/or in big crowds where they are better at trying to get your stuff.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

One sample from the very historic and wonderful National Archaeological Museum in Athens:

NatArch.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

As noted, you should always be careful in any city you are not familiar with. This includes not wearing expensive jewelry and safe-guarding your valuables. I also say be street smart when you walk around meaning to be aware of your surriounding and those around you.

With that said my wife and I have been visiting Athens for years and most recently this past April and in general feel very safe there. We also believe it has improved quite a bit over the years particularly since the city was cleaned up in preparing for hosting the Olympics a few years ago.

Keith

Watch for what they did to my husband on the subway. A group of young men got on when we did and arranged to surround my husband. One asked him for the time and another tried to get his hand into my husband's pocket when my husband started to remove his hand to look at his watch. If you keep your money hidden in a money belt or pocket you will be fine.

Other than that we saw nothing alarming at all. I can recommend the Hotel Attalos, great rooftop views from the bar and handy to everything and very reasonable.

I felt no less safe, and no safer, in Athens than in any major tourist city. I always carry my passport around my neck under my shirt, my credit card and cash in a money belt around my waist under my shirt, and only a minimum amount of pocket cash. I try to avoid major crowds and am alert when I am in one. I keep my eyes open, stay in major well lighted tourist areas, and don't wander off into dark side streets. Rome, Venice, Athens, London, Boston, Paris, Sydney, DC, Cairo, Casablanca, Rio -- all pretty much the same.

The Antiquities Promenade in Athens is a beautiful spacious walk for tourists. The new museum of the Acropolis is stunning. The Flea Market at Kerameikos is a lot of fun and open, well lit and reasonably safe. The Metro is well lit, efficient, and probably safer than the Subway in NYC.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html and at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

I strongly recommend Nick of GreekTaxi if you need a driver.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived