Digital Workshops

Jackiealu

I have read that HAL offers digital computer workshops on many of the cruises. I am wondering if there is an extra charge for this. I can't locate any fee information. Also, do the workshops fill up fast. How early should someone go that wants to make sure to get in. Any information appreciated on this.

Jackie

HAL offers their Digital Workshops for no extra fee ("free") and they are on a first-come, first-seated basis. They will be advertised in the HAL Newsletter as to day, time, and location on board.

Get there at least 30 minutes early if you expect a seat for that day's class, as they do fill up very quickly.

• 5 weeks later...

I have taken part in the Digital Workshops on our last 3 or 4 cruses. The last cruise had 3 or 4 classes each day, at different times. Also they offer 1 or 2 sessions of 'techspert' tech help each day. The classes are based on the Windows Live (free) programs. They even show you how to make your own web page. Watch the daily program for classes. There are about 13 different classes being taught.

Have done them on 2 cruises. Information presented and the handouts are excellent. Novices to advanced uses will find value in the classes. The "Tech Time" one on one sessions are great to work on projects or get extra help.

Go early, go often!

Like others have said, get there early if you want a seat at one of the computers. If you are late getting there though, there are usually vacant seats where you can sit and follow the presentation from the video screen that the instructor is using.

In any event, the sessions are very worthwhile and you can't beat the price.

On our cruise, I went to just one, the intro to Windows 7, because I was about to buy a new computer. I got there too late to get a computer to practice on, but it didn't matter. I could follow everything she said just by looking at the big screen. Her descriptions and instructions were very clear.

When she took questions, I asked a few and got good answers--since I've had Win 7, I have not discovered anything that contradicts what she told me. I did ask about one small detail and she admitted she didn't know about that. It was a VERY picky question (something I was curious about, not inteded to trip her up), so I didn't mind that she didn't know. In fact, I respect her honesty. I've come across a lot of computer "experts" on ships, and a lot of them knew less than I know (and I'm not an expert), but make stuff up to avoid saying "I don't know."

I will travel with my new Win7 laptop this fall. Does anyone know if I can do the lessons using my own computer? On Veendam, the lessons used laptops, but I didn't check to see if they were hardwired on connected via wireless. Or not connected to each other at all.

HAL currently has Digital Workshops in fourteen of its fifteen ships. The only ship that doesn't have one is Prinsendam due to her longer, world-wide itineraries. On the four "S" and four "R" class ships, the workshop is located inside the former Queens (private) dining room, while on the Vistas and Signatures, it is located in the Stuyvesant room. Great programs for folks who want to learn more about the capabilities of their computer and/or expand their own knowledge and, it's free!

I will travel with my new Win7 laptop this fall. Does anyone know if I can do the lessons using my own computer? On Veendam, the lessons used laptops, but I didn't check to see if they were hardwired on connected via wireless. Or not connected to each other at all.

I believe the ship's laptops are a wireless network thru a router and no you can't use your own computer. The don't want to infect the network and available bandwith were the reasons I was given.

HAL currently has Digital Workshops in fourteen of its fifteen ships. The only ship that doesn't have one is Prinsendam due to her longer, world-wide itineraries.
Gosh - they told us on the Prinsendam it was because they didn't have space. We were also that the area that had been used for the Art Gallery was going to be converted for the Digital Workshop. But what do they know. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I believe the ship's laptops are a wireless network thru a router and no you can't use your own computer. They don't want to infect the network and available bandwith were the reasons I was given.

I've been hearing this for years. Th inability to use any sort of media to download the product of a workshop is why I stopped going to computer workshops on cruises. the HAL presentation on Win 7 was probably the first computer class I've been to in 5 or 6 years.

No matter how good the instruction is, I find that I don't learn anything. They take the group through a process and you make a product--powerpoint, collection of photos, etc. But they won't let me save my "product" on removeable media. By the time I get home to my own computer, I won't remember how I made the "product" in the workshop, and I won't even have the "product" to look at to help me remember. If I could use my own computer, I'd have something to practice with during a little free time on board and I might actually retain some useful info.

Gosh - they told us on the Prinsendam it was because they didn't have space. We were also that the area that had been used for the Art Gallery was going to be converted for the Digital Workshop. But what do they know. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Do you mean the gallery for the art in the auction? They were going to replace something so important and esssential to the cruise just for some silly little computers?? :rolleyes:

Hey thanks Mary Ellen!:) You know, there's nothing like getting updated info from the horsey's mouth! Any trays in the Lido of that fabulous ship or did you do As You Wish dining?

Do you mean the gallery for the art in the auction? They were going to replace something so important and esssential to the cruise just for some silly little computers?? :rolleyes:
It was completely empty - NO 'art', no auctions. It was WONDERFUL!

Here is some info on the digital workshops that you may not have seen:

http://haldigitalworkshop.spaces.live.com/

You can access the handouts too. This link can be changed by substituting the name of the ship you are sailing on:

http://mseurodam.spaces.live.com/

I took my own laptop and was able to follow most of the stuff on it. On the Westerdam there was enough seats that one could share a computer with someone.

Hope this will help...

• 4 weeks later...
HAL currently has Digital Workshops in fourteen of its fifteen ships. The only ship that doesn't have one is Prinsendam due to her longer, world-wide itineraries. On the four "S" and four "R" class ships, the workshop is located inside the former Queens (private) dining room, while on the Vistas and Signatures, it is located in the Stuyvesant room. Great programs for folks who want to learn more about the capabilities of their computer and/or expand their own knowledge and, it's free!

If this is off the HAL website, it's not right. I just got off the Noordam and the DW was in the old "smoking room" on deck 2 aft, starboard side next just outside the dining room.

For the poster that was all upset about not being able to connect their own laptop - it's because Microsoft actually has to pay the internet provider on board (on most lines it's MTN) for each of the lines that it uses. The internet connection requires logging in as a user. If you were to connect your computer to the ethernet cords there, the system would not recognize you as a user unless you had the password. I don't know why you just couldn't use their computers and then save everything that you had worked on to 1. a flash drive/USB stick (which is allowed), 2. your camera memory card (which is allowed) or 3. a Window's sky drive which the Techspert can show you how to set up. It doesn't sound to me like you really have a valid excuse other than most people who just want free internet. Our Techspert, Brent, explained on board just last week that that's the reason most people want to use their own, considering that they can save everything and easily transfer it over to their own computer.

We bought a flash drive in Juneau to save our project on for this very reason.

The techspert tries to make sure you go thru the process--hands on, and gives you handouts so you can know just how to do it at home. Plus, he had us make a personal DVD to bring home of our trip, so we would actually have a finished product. Billy burned ours & had it delivered to our room in the middle of the night before disembarkation!

Upon return home, I was able to follow his handout directions and actually make my own DVD and "erase" people from photos, which he showed us how to do.

I was almost glad it was foggy outside so we didn't feel so guilty spending so much time in the Digital Workshop!

Have done them on 2 cruises. Information presented and the handouts are excellent. Novices to advanced uses will find value in the classes. The "Tech Time" one on one sessions are great to work on projects or get extra help.

Go early, go often!

Handouts are no longer being done in the Digital Workshops! If you want the material, you have to download it yourself, (of course, at your own cost)! Much like the printing of your e-docs and luggage tags!:mad:

If this is off the HAL website' date=' it's not right. I just got off the Noordam and the DW was in the old "smoking room" on deck 2 aft, starboard side next just outside the dining room.

.[/quote']

You are correct in the location of the Digital Workshop on the Noordam -- the old smoking room.

And I am trying to think back -- I think on the Zuiderdam that it is also located in the old smoking room.

Okay -- I went and pulled out my old Daily Programs.

The Digitial Workshop is located on Deck 2 Aft - Portside -- on the Noordam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam.

Haven't been on the Oosterdam in years.

In 2008 when we were on the Eurodam the Digital Workshop was located in the Stuyvesant Room. I do not know if it has been moved.

Handouts are no longer being done in the Digital Workshops! If you want the material, you have to download it yourself, (of course, at your own cost)! Much like the printing of your e-docs and luggage tags!:mad:

Untrue. I have mine sitting right in front of me from the Noordam last week. Maybe they were having a printing problem on your cruise - but you are wrong.

• 4 months later...

On a previous HAL cruise the Windows Digital Workshop instructor allowed us to use the large computer monitors to share photos of the adventure with a dozen-or-so ship mates in an exclusive ‘after-hours’ gathering. For a couple hours we had a fabulous time, each of us taking turns showing pictures. (We brought a bottle of wine also for the instructor who of course stayed to monitor use of the equipment. He enjoyed the party.) It was such a good experience we recommended it be available to all passengers to use when display equipment is idle, PERHAPS even the side screens in Franz Halls Lounge (Now wouldn't THAT be fun. ;)) A new Digital Workshop instructor has a different take on allowing passengers to share images of their travels ashore using Workshop monitors. Has anyone else had luck sharing travel images using equipment aboard their HAL ship? :confused:

Archived