Digital Workshops

Jackiealu

Should this rank novice who boards the Eurodam in a few days invest in a USB flash drive/memory stick? I will be travelling with my Canon digital camera with a memory card but am not that advanced to tell how many megabites (or whatever) it is.

Yes, I would recommend getting extra memory, of BOTH types, for insurance and for extra memory capacity. Who know how many photo treasures you may want to keep those happing cruising memories fresh. Besides, digital memory becomes cheaper every day! It is cheap insurance. So always set your camera to take pictures at the maximum size. You can always shrink the images later if for some reason (which I think is unlikely) it is necessary. Cheers,

• 9 months later...

After searching for a while I found this thread which appears to be the latest - but looking for up to date info

The question I have is - during the workshops can we download our own stuff into a Flash drive/passport.

I intend to take quite a lot of photos of my cruise and peripheral days - but I also want to take quite a bit of HD video as well - which chews up memory capacity like mad.

I don't really want to buy a multitude of SD cards -or limited flash drives - and I thought I would bring along a small passport hard drive - and keep downloading from the camera to that - but I can't find a drive that will do that - so I have to go thro a computer and the drive uses the computers power.

What do those who have done these workshop RECENTLY think would be best - will I find that this is allowed during the sessions.

After searching for a while I found this thread which appears to be the latest - but looking for up to date info

The question I have is - during the workshops can we download our own stuff into a Flash drive/passport.

I intend to take quite a lot of photos of my cruise and peripheral days - but I also want to take quite a bit of HD video as well - which chews up memory capacity like mad.

I don't really want to buy a multitude of SD cards -or limited flash drives - and I thought I would bring along a small passport hard drive - and keep downloading from the camera to that - but I can't find a drive that will do that - so I have to go thro a computer and the drive uses the computers power.

What do those who have done these workshop RECENTLY think would be best - will I find that this is allowed during the sessions.

We were on the Westerdam in April and the Amsterdam in July and went to many of the classes. Each laptop computer has a SD card reader slot and numerous USB ports that will allow you to transfer from your SD card to to the Passport hard drive with no problems. You can do this during the techspert class time. We saw a number of people with external hard drives and they probably were doing just that. They don't let you use the internet in the class unless it is for class instruction during class.

Do take some of the classes, I always learn something new in them. Frank the tech on the Amsterdam was one of the best we have seen. He even took time to help a passenger who could not read an SD card full of pictures on his camera or on the computer. This indicated that the card was unreadable and he may have lost the pictures. Frank took the SD card went on line with a program that recovered 90% of the pictures. Boy was that passenger happy! Frank went way overboard to help.

I just enjoyed going to a class and listening because he was a wealth of knowledge and could usually answer all questions fired at him.

HAL currently has Digital Workshops in fourteen of its fifteen ships. The only ship that doesn't have one is Prinsendam due to her longer, world-wide itineraries. On the four "S" and four "R" class ships, the workshop is located inside the former Queens (private) dining room, while on the Vistas and Signatures, it is located in the Stuyvesant room. Great programs for folks who want to learn more about the capabilities of their computer and/or expand their own knowledge and, it's free!

That's too bad if Prinsendam has changed since May. We had great classes on the African/Mediterranean cruise this spring. ( A much better use of the Art salesroom).

That's too bad if Prinsendam has changed since May. We had great classes on the African/Mediterranean cruise this spring. ( A much better use of the Art salesroom).

The person you quoted posted that information about 1 1/2 years ago.

If you saw the digital work shop when you sailed on the Prinsendam -- than it was porbably added since that time.

The information quoted was also incorrect (even 1.5 years ago). It wasn't her worldwide itineraries that prevented the Prinsendam from having the Digital Workshop. There are other ships in the fleet that also sail Grand Voyages, and to other ports worldwide, that somehow managed to offer this despite the claimed cause. :rolleyes:

The Prinsendam once lacked the space to offer the Digital Workshop. When HAL ended the art auctions, the 'art gallery' space was converted into the Digital Workshop.

No, it wasn't Prinsendam's world wide itineraries; Hey, what does HAL know;)

Seattle, WA, January 12, 2008 – Holland America Line announced today the roll-out schedule for its popular Microsoft Digital Workshops. The successful program begun last April has already been implemented on five of the ships, ms Amsterdam, ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam, ms Eurodam and ms Noordam. Installation on 12 of the 14 ships will be completed by May 27, 2009. While ms :)Prinsendam:) and ms Rotterdam are not currently scheduled for implementation :eek:due to itinerary lengths:eek:, Holland America Line aims to ultimately apply the program to the entire fleet.

Archived