nervous about solo-ing

Biffer1997

I am booked ES for Fascination in December. Unless I am able to find someone to come with me, I will be going solo. While I am excited about if for the most part, I am very nervous about dinner. I have YTD, and loved it on my last cruise, but I had people to sit with. Will I have the option to be seated with others with YTD or will I have to sit on my own? How does it work if I come and the others have already started eating? I know if I get assigned a dining time, I will be seated with others. Should I switch, or stick with the YTD that I love?

I just took my first solo cruise and in some ways I liked it and in others it was a bit wierd. Im used to my sister keeping track of time and on my own, I was always busy and forgot to eat lunch the first two days. Id be off trying to see if they drew my name at 2:30 for the slot pull final and then lunch was closed after that or whatever.

It was still fun, but not the same.

I did early dining and asked to be at a large table, so I was at the captain's table which is the biggest one I think.

I am pretty sure with ATD you just ask to be seated with others, like for breakfast or lunch and they seat you with others.

I have only done anytime dining once, it was my nephew and I, we were just sat at a table for two each night. We did meet some great people onboard who were also doing the YTD and we ended up eating with them towards the end of the cruise (only a 4 day)

I'm trying ytd for the first time as a solo next cruise..and I eat out alone or with easily...however I would guess one can ask the usher to seat one with folks and request size of table..similar to walking into main for lunch..some will say do not do it as a solo..but A) I want the freedom; and B) Cruising is such a "group" mix and mingle experience around dining..I can not see where it will not work with a group table; and C) I enjoy solo dining sometimes..a book and a two top may be nice..then off to the music!!! Think you will be ok..whatever you do..and harder to get ytd after the fact..I believe..but not as hard to switch to assigned if you do not like it...my 2 cents..hope it helps.

I have only done anytime dining once, it was my nephew and I, we were just sat at a table for two each night. We did meet some great people onboard who were also doing the YTD and we ended up eating with them towards the end of the cruise (only a 4 day)

Hi Molly..have a good night..sjn.:)

I'm trying ytd for the first time as a solo next cruise..and I eat out alone or with easily...however I would guess one can ask the usher to seat one with folks and request size of table..similar to walking into main for lunch..some will say do not do it as a solo..but A) I want the freedom; and B) Cruising is such a "group" mix and mingle experience around dining..I can not see where it will not work with a group table; and C) I enjoy solo dining sometimes..a book and a two top may be nice..then off to the music!!! Think you will be ok..whatever you do..and harder to get ytd after the fact..I believe..but not as hard to switch to assigned if you do not like it...my 2 cents..hope it helps.

OR...you could take a fellow Montanain (sp?) with you:D

Good to see you, you also have a great night...I am working until 0730:(

I'm not sure I'd do open seating if I was cruising solo. Seems to me that you'd run the risk of being seated at a table for two alone, or as you've stated, joining a table already well ahead of you in the dining process.

I don't think I'd like either of those options.

I sail solo about 50% of the time. I always pick an assigned dining time when sailing solo. I like to dine with others at a large table in order to meet people. I also always pick late seating because I am less likely to be placed at a table with families traveling with younger children. It seems that many families traveling with kiddos tend to eat early seating if choosing traditional dining. With Anytime Dining, you may run the risk of dining by yourself if others are unwilling to share their table, so bring a book to read while dining.

If eating with others is really important to you, I would strongly consider switching to an assigned seating/time.

I think if it were me I would do assigned and ask for a large table with other singles if possible. Also have you checked out your roll call? You might find someone to dine with.

I am booked ES for Fascination in December. Unless I am able to find someone to come with me, I will be going solo. While I am excited about if for the most part, I am very nervous about dinner. I have YTD, and loved it on my last cruise, but I had people to sit with. Will I have the option to be seated with others with YTD or will I have to sit on my own? How does it work if I come and the others have already started eating? I know if I get assigned a dining time, I will be seated with others. Should I switch, or stick with the YTD that I love?

I had a solo cruise forced upon my when my wife and I split the week of one.

I went to the MD to ask to be put at a large table, but he thought it was better just to keep sitting me with other solo cruisers, which was fine, but I really wish he honored my request.

DW and I have been seated with other solo cruisers and it seemed to work out fine for them but it was with an assigned time.

Would think that the best way to make friends with other singles was to sit at same large table each night at assigned dining time.

about half of my 52 cruises have been solo and in all actuality were more fun than the ones i have gone on with other people..mainly because going solo i get to do what i want to do when i want to..if you are a social person you will probably meet folks onboard who also have anytime dining and be able to eat with them..if you are not naturally social go with an assigned time and ask to be at a big table..over the last 10 yrs of cruising i have done that and still keep in touch with people i have met 10 yrs ago..a great way to make new friends...have a great time no matter what!!:cool:

On my first and only (so far) solo cruise I did the traditional early dining and it worked out great. I requested a large table and was assigned to a 4 person table. I sat with a solo gent and a mother and daughter group. We always had lots to talk about. It would be wonderful to have the freedom of anytime dining but I really do prefer the company while dining. The late dining choice may have offered more options, but it is simply too late for me to enjoy a meal. I planned earlier excursions and enjoyed the morning before it got too hot. I also really enjoyed eating in the MDR at breakfast. I was seated with different groups each morning and was very comfortable doing that. Perhaps it was the best of both worlds.

Whatever works for you, please do not cancel your cruise because you are afraid of being uncomfortable in the dining room. GO FOR IT!! You will not regret it.

Please check out the SOLO boards on this website (if you have not done so already). You will find lots of great information that will make sure that you have a great time solo-ing.

Janet

Just checked in and read the reports...

Always with..an on the other hand here....

I really enjoyed the largest table size..early seating last time. However..as mentioned before somewhere else:):o..it was the the multiple choice table anyway with enough spare seats for the maitre' d

to put folkks who did not like where they were and we had new people every night. There were however great core people and it did ceate a group to sort of check in with and sometimes we did something together after dinner.:)

OR...you could take a fellow Montanain (sp?) with you:D

Good to see you, you also have a great night...I am working until 0730:(

Well darlin...from the few chats online...

You would be a fabulous choice.

Odd work hrs here too.:(

Sad about letting the Hawaii one go....but new horizons are sometimes important:).

I am cruising solo for the 3rd time in September, I have opted for ATD for this cruise, my last 2 solo cruises were short 4 days so I only chose to eat in the MDR on formal night, but since this is a 7 day I figured I would eat there a few times during the week,personally I prefer to sit at a smaller table or even alone but I am sure if you ask they will seat you with a group.

Hope you have a fantastic time on your cruise,actually The Facination was what I sailed on both my solo cruises when it sailed out of Miami.

thanks for all the input! If I do end up going alone, I will probably switch to late dining since that is what they will probably have left and would be my 2nd choice. I don't really care too much about dinner and really only go to dinner for the WCMC (I'm not kidding!) I will go only as many nights as I feel the need for chocoate!

Archived