Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

We will be on a back to back in October, which will probably mean one formal night each week. So, we will probably bring the dinner jacket along. This is because we would not feel comfortable going into the restaurant on formal nights in non-formal clothes, but feel that we would be missing out if it was the Chef's dinner on formal night, which we would not be able to have elsewhere apart from in our suite, which we do not enjoy. Like other retired people, my DH has a dinner jacket but no longer any 'suits', just sports jackets.

I am also a first timer, departing Rome Sept 25th on The Spirit for 7 days only, so I think I'm right in saying we will miss the new regime. This is not a problem for us, my husband hates wearing ties, but always wears an Aramani/Boss etc suit with round necked tops under to dinner every night & would not dream of entering the main dining room without a jacket. We both would never consider even top designer demin at night.

I must say though I'm a little confused now - is it ok to dress smartly every night for dinner on Seabourn even if you decide to eat in another venue? I would hope that's ok as it is with other luxury lines we travel on. I even like to 'smarten' up if I have lunch in the dining room - is this ok or do people go casual in these circumstances - if so, I'd better re-organise my intended wardrobe!

Dressing "smartly" for dinner is always acceptable in any venue on Seabourn. I prefer to luncheon in the dining room as many other guests ~Lunch is casual, but rarely we see shorts or casual wear that is worn in the Sky Bar area. Your wardrobe sounds perfect!

I believe Capt. Dag (new Master to Seabourn-from Regent) will be at the helm of the Spirit during your sailing ~~ I know you'll enjoy him ~I've not met him but have heard marvelous "raves" about him.

Also I believe Armand will be the Maitre'D ~~He's THE best!

Enjoy your cruise!

Martita B.

Just thought I would look up our 'already booked' on the internet. The itinerary, in October, is still showing no formal nights. Perhaps it will change. My main complaint is that Seabourn keep changing their minds, presumably having looked at how many bookings from what age group, etc. of people they are getting. They have really got to make their minds up soon on a permanent (or at least no more than one change per year) for their evening dress code.

It does seem to apply also to Regent and Silversea, who are also changing dress codes and various other rules and what they include.

Optional actually means "preferred" ~~if one does not prefer formal they are invited to dine in the alternative venue's. ~there is a choice. You may dress as you please ~

MB

Not at all. "Optional" means left to your choice. Explicitly there is no preference implied. As to frequency of formal nights, Seabourn Guest Services says "no formal nights on 7 night cruises on the Caribbean." The one "formal night" on longer than 7-day cruises --at least in the Caribbean--is an optional night. Explicitly, a jacket and tie is the alternative, and wholly acceptable form of dress. So, for example, on the Sojourn sailing of December 10th, the one-night formal option code is fully satisfied by blazer and tie. So, black tie optional as a matter of practicality means those lugging a tux will be in the minority.

Not at all. "Optional" means left to your choice. Explicitly there is no preference implied. As to frequency of formal nights, Seabourn Guest Services says "no formal nights on 7 night cruises on the Caribbean." The one "formal night" on longer than 7-day cruises --at least in the Caribbean--is an optional night. Explicitly, a jacket and tie is the alternative, and wholly acceptable form of dress. So, for example, on the Sojourn sailing of December 10th, the one-night formal option code is fully satisfied by blazer and tie. So, black tie optional as a matter of practicality means those lugging a tux will be in the minority.

How do you feel about "white jacket"??

How do you feel about "white jacket"??

rhn, I feel fine about a white jacket. (Dare I admit to having one?) I think this is a Solomonesque judgment by SB, trying to accommodate all its customers. And certainly with an eye to the future. It does seem that if you want to wear formal clothes you can. And others that do not wish to do so can opt for blazer cum tie. Packing formal clothes for a maximum of one (optional) evening during a 10-night cruise seems, um, surrendering to the fashion police, perhaps. But why not, if that pleases you? And not, if it does not.

rhn, I feel fine about a white jacket. (Dare I admit to having one?) I think this is a Solomonesque judgment by SB, trying to accommodate all its customers. And certainly with an eye to the future. It does seem that if you want to wear formal clothes you can. And others that do not wish to do so can opt for blazer cum tie. Packing formal clothes for a maximum of one (optional) evening during a 10-night cruise seems, um, surrendering to the fashion police, perhaps. But why not, if that pleases you? And not, if it does not.

Being in the South, we love the look of white jacket an it seems a nice formal compromise to lugging that tux...also nice on the Caribbean cruises that are longer...like the holiday Legend one we are going on.. I think a man looks great in them. Since we tend to spend more and more time in warmer climates, it works great!

Being in the South, we love the look of white jacket an it seems a nice formal compromise to lugging that tux...also nice on the Caribbean cruises that are longer...like the holiday Legend one we are going on.. I think a man looks great in them. Since we tend to spend more and more time in warmer climates, it works great!

Yes. My local fashionista notes that simply by changing the bow tie, you can go from Leslie Howard to Johnny Rocker.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's too much sunshine or heaven for bid too much wine, but I am now totally confused. Feeling smug about my knowledge regarding SB dress policy I haven't spent much time reading this new thread on dress codes. Ooops there does see to be changing going on with the policy or at least the interpretation of the wording. The word optional seems to be at the center of the different interpretation. Checking my 1979 "Funk & Wagnalls Standard Desk Dictionary" I find optional = left to one's preference, not required; elective. The confusion on my part is the following: does optional refer to the guest's preference or Seabourn's preference?

Shirley

I have a friend that sails Seabourn frequently ~he always packs a very minimum of clothing. Usually his luggage are 'roll ons' ~how he does it is a mystery to me! His formal wear consists of a plain black jacket paired with black pants ~he has 2 poly-cotton, no pleats Tux shirts (inexpensive) and 2 black bow ties. An extra pair of black shoes.He interchanges the jacket and pants with other clothing items. He always looks chic and well dressed but he doesn't worry about extra luggage for black tie evenings.

Martita B.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's too much sunshine or heaven for bid too much wine' date=' but I am now totally confused. Feeling smug about my knowledge regarding SB dress policy I haven't spent much time reading this new thread on dress codes. Ooops there does see to be changing going on with the policy or at least the interpretation of the wording. The word [b']optional[/b] seems to be at the center of the different interpretation. Checking my 1979 "Funk & Wagnalls Standard Desk Dictionary" I find optional = left to one's preference, not required; elective. The confusion on my part is the following: does optional refer to the guest's preference or Seabourn's preference?

Shirley

Black tie optional on cruise ships has meant that you can wear your tux, or the option is to just wear a dark suit and tie if you prefer not to take and wear a tux.That is the option between the two choices.Most men on Seabourn will take and wear a tux.

Cruise lines are rather grey areas when it comes to dress codes.They cover themselves by saying that the dress code is "Suggested"

There are very few that travel on Seabourn that are way off line with the dress code.

I have a friend that sails Seabourn frequently ~he always packs a very minimum of clothing. Usually his luggage are 'roll ons' ~how he does it is a mystery to me! His formal wear consists of a plain black jacket paired with black pants ~he has 2 poly-cotton, no pleats Tux shirts (inexpensive) and 2 black bow ties. An extra pair of black shoes.He interchanges the jacket and pants with other clothing items. He always looks chic and well dressed but he doesn't worry about extra luggage for black tie evenings.

Martita B.

This is a man that's got his act together, much like my DH. :pMe, not so much. Teaching this old dog new tricks may take longer then my remaining cruising years permit.

Thank you Martita. I am certainly looking forward to the experience & sampling the Seabourn life I have come to know whilst reading this board - I hope it will be the first of many in the years to come!

Dressing "smartly" for dinner is always acceptable in any venue on Seabourn. I prefer to luncheon in the dining room as many other guests ~Lunch is casual, but rarely we see shorts or casual wear that is worn in the Sky Bar area. Your wardrobe sounds perfect!

I believe Capt. Dag (new Master to Seabourn-from Regent) will be at the helm of the Spirit during your sailing ~~ I know you'll enjoy him ~I've not met him but have heard marvelous "raves" about him.

Also I believe Armand will be the Maitre'D ~~He's THE best!

Enjoy your cruise!

Martita B.

jrmuk

If your cruise has No formal evenings you can relax and enjoy 'Country Club' wear ~~but PLEASE, NO denim trousers in the dining room ~~save them for the Deck BBQ.

MB

We are absolutely fine with the evening dress code---whatever it may be for the Dec 10th Sojourn cruise-Tux or coat and tie.

My question, being a first timer on Seabourn is whether T shirts are ok during the day---and yes I mean the ones with Bob Marley on them, BBQ joints ( I AM from Tx), etc., with shorts and sandals. This is the Caribbean and I am there to relax, not impress anyone, but I dare not embarrass my wife Irene---LOL

-Barry

To put an end to the speculation:

There will be one formal optional night in every cruise of seven days up to 13 days. Caribbean and Mediterranean included. All cruises. Holiday cruises may be different.

14 to 21: Two FO nights. 21 and up: 3 FO nights. Back to Back 7-day cruises: Two. This starts on the first October departure of each Seabourn Yacht. Odyssey, Spirit, Legend October 2 ,Pride October 7, Sojourn October 11

Formal optional means guests can wear either casually elegant (collared shirt, jacket/no tie required) or formal as they prefer after 6PM. That gives guests the option of formal attire if that's what they like without having to "stand out."

Jeans are never considered appropriate in The Restaurant after 6PM.

Each category of suggested attire (Casual, Casually Elegant and Formal Optional) is for all venues on board for that evening. Indoors or out, even the Patio Grill/Sky Grill.

The preliminary documents will include number of formal optional nights in the cruise details grid (Page Two) as soon as practicable--they print well in advance.

I hope this will clarify things regarding the new policy.

Host Dan

There will be one formal optional night in every cruise of seven days up to 13 days. Caribbean and Mediterranean included. All cruises. Holiday cruises may be different.

14 to 21: Two FO nights. 21 and up: 3 FO nights. Back to Back 7-day cruises: Two. This starts on the first October departure of each Seabourn Yacht. Odyssey, Spirit, Legend October 2 ,Pride October 7, Sojourn October 11

Formal optional means guests can wear either casually elegant (collared shirt, jacket/no tie required) or formal as they prefer after 6PM. That gives guests the option of formal attire if that's what they like without having to "stand out."

Each category of suggested attire (Casual, Casually Elegant and Formal Optional) is for all venues on board for that evening. Indoors or out, even the Patio Grill/Sky Grill.

The preliminary documents will include number of formal optional nights in the cruise details grid (Page Two) as soon as practicable--they print well in advance.

Host Dan

Again Dan you are a CC Treasure. Thank you for giving us a clear explanation of what to expect on board SB in relationship to dressing and dinning choices.

Dan,

I just went to the "already booked" section and looked up my itinerary which is Odyssy 10-30. It states and I am coping from the web page- Nights with suggested black tie optional attire: 0. I think that is different from what you stated. Let me know what you think.

Host Dan

Dan,

I just went to the "already booked" section and looked up my itinerary which is Odyssy 10-30. It states and I am coping from the web page- Nights with suggested black tie optional attire: 0. I think that is different from what you stated. Let me know what you think.

The site may not be updated. My information is from the horses mouth, so to speak..

Host Dan

We like the formal nights, however, we echo the previous opinions that it is a lot of kit to pack for just one night. I can see the Seabourn problem. They need to create a customer base which is three times bigger than before. That has to mean attracting a younger clientele. Does it, however, mean that us old codgers have to be cheesed off? How about making the triplets properly formal, as before, and relax things on the new builds?

We went to a local formal event on New Year's Eve. A person sat at the next table wearing a baseball cap all evening. Our psychiatrist friend called it 'attention-seeking behaviour'.

I was enjoying fine dining one night in the Caribbean. At the end of the meal, I commented to the maitre d' about one of the customers at another table..."what kind of person comes to the finest restaurant in Antigua, talks in a very loud voice, wears a baseball cap back to front and washes down superb French food with scotch and coke?" Quick as a flash she responded "He just got out".

Regent has been very succesful with the "Formal Optional" evenings. Again, if you want to dress formally, you wont be alone!

Host Dan (who would dress in formal attire, even though I'm just past 40)

I must wholeheartedly disagree with the statement concerning the Dining room at lunchtime...." but rarely we see shorts"...... it obviously depends on what area of the World, what climate etc you are sailing in......we have spent many many days in hot areas and the people regularly wear shorts in the dining room.....my husband included. The long trousers only go on when the weather cools down. In my opinion, the ships of Seabourn are much more casual than "some" in here want to make out!!

We are absolutely fine with the evening dress code---whatever it may be for the Dec 10th Sojourn cruise-Tux or coat and tie.

My question, being a first timer on Seabourn is whether T shirts are ok during the day---and yes I mean the ones with Bob Marley on them, BBQ joints ( I AM from Tx), etc., with shorts and sandals.

Yes, a t-shirt and shorts during the day are perfectly fine. (Of course, not after 6 pm!! :eek::D )

Paul ;)

jrmuk: you can call them "denim trousers" and you can pay $200 for them -- but...they are jeans. Just noting.

Spouse and I are firmly in the "formal nights are one of the most appealing things about Seabourn" camp... and certainly are sad to see some of these changes.

Archived