Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

Have they not already eliminated formal nights on the seven day Med and Caribbean cruises? I bet "up to 13 nights" means between seven and thirteen. Imo, this is just a step on the way to eliminating formal nights on most cruises. If they can advertise themselves as less formal they can attract the younger demographic which is so important to them now. I don't think there are enough formal diehards out there to fill six ships all year long.

Yes Henry,which is why I suggested that the smaller yachts be more formal than the larger ships which are attracting a younger crowd,that way it would keep a lot of guests happy,but not all.

I am reading Marthas post as one formal evening on any cruise with a length of thirteen days or shorter.

The Seabourn website has been updated under the Frequently Asked Questions re:attire.......

doesn't say when it starts...but, I think I'll jump the gun and pack for my 2 week back-to-back in September formal compris.

MM

According to my Travel Agent, "Formal Optional evenings are: cruises up to 13 nights: 1 formal" ~etc. (read my orginal posting) I would think this means 0 to 13 nights, 1 formal night

The revised dress code is scheduled to begin in Oct. 2010.

Martita B

According to my Travel Agent, "Formal Optional evenings are: cruises up to 13 nights: 1 formal" ~etc. (read my orginal posting) I would think this means 0 to 13 nights, 1 formal night

The revised dress code is scheduled to begin in Oct. 2010.

Martita B

Call me confused! Martita, your first post used the term "formal" -- now it is "formal optional" -- which is it? In other words, is formal wear required on formal optional nights, or is it optional?

My head is hurting.

I hope I don’t offend too many people with my comment, but I have to say that the one thing that kept me from cruising with Seaborn for so long was the thought of the formal nights.

Let me explain myself, I am a late thirties, fairly comfortable kind of chap who likes nothing better than rewarding all my hard work with ultra luxury holidays, I love fine dining and have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world on several continents. However, I (like quite a lot of people of my age) find formality a bore, I have no problem with others who like to dress up and in fact I find it quite nostalgic to see people dressed formally but it is not for me.

Here‘s the rub, what I, and a lot of friend dislike intensely, is being told what to wear when we have paid a lot of our hard earned money for something. Why, having spent quite a large sum of money, should you be frowned upon for not conforming to a certain dress code. Why, after spending $200 (equivalent) on a pair of designer jeans should I be barred from entering a restaurant, although so far it’s never happened to me and I’ve dined in a 3 star Michelin restaurant in Paris wearing jeans.

So to my point, Seabourn is ever expanding and therefore needs to expand its clientele base to meet the ever increasing number of berths available. If it wants to attract the thirty and forty something’s with money to spend they will have to lighten up somewhat and relax the dress code, I’m not saying they ban formal wear just don’t ban informal wear.

There, it’s said, it probably won’t go down too well but I think the writing has been on the wall ever since Seabourn signed the contract to build 3, 450 passenger ships with a current fan base that only barely fills 3 200 berth yachts at present.

Please do not shoot the messenger!

I hope I don’t offend too many people with my comment, but I have to say that the one thing that kept me from cruising with Seaborn for so long was the thought of the formal nights.

Let me explain myself, I am a late thirties, fairly comfortable kind of chap who likes nothing better than rewarding all my hard work with ultra luxury holidays, I love fine dining and have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world on several continents. However, I (like quite a lot of people of my age) find formality a bore, I have no problem with others who like to dress up and in fact I find it quite nostalgic to see people dressed formally but it is not for me.

Here‘s the rub, what I, and a lot of friend dislike intensely, is being told what to wear when we have paid a lot of our hard earned money for something. Why, having spent quite a large sum of money, should you be frowned upon for not conforming to a certain dress code. Why, after spending $200 (equivalent) on a pair of designer jeans should I be barred from entering a restaurant, although so far it’s never happened to me and I’ve dined in a 3 star Michelin restaurant in Paris wearing jeans.

So to my point, Seabourn is ever expanding and therefore needs to expand its clientele base to meet the ever increasing number of berths available. If it wants to attract the thirty and forty something’s with money to spend they will have to lighten up somewhat and relax the dress code, I’m not saying they ban formal wear just don’t ban informal wear.

There, it’s said, it probably won’t go down too well but I think the writing has been on the wall ever since Seabourn signed the contract to build 3, 450 passenger ships with a current fan base that only barely fills 3 200 berth yachts at present.

I think you would love the SEA DREAM YACHT CLUB..it has 100 guests as a max load..casual dress...and..great food and service. We used to enjoy it when it was the Seagoddess...and formal.

jrmuk:

LaPaloma makes a good suggestion. SeaDream is, for us, perfect in the Caribbean as it is "Yacht Casual" dress. Daytime is very casual and usually spent on deck in various venues (or ashore). The evening is usually elegantly casual. But, alas, as you mention, the times, they are a changin'. SeaDream recently promoted "Family Cruising" on their website, riling quite a few die hard SeaDreamers, us included. That is one of the reasons we are to be aboard the Spirit this September. It seems that, whenever you find something you really like, they go and "improve" it.:eek: Change is truly a major constant in life. Sometimes it changes your way, sometimes not. I see your point and mostly agree as baggage issues, etc. have made it more of a chore. I do like formal on Cunard Transatlantic crossings but then, that is part of the entertainment with no port calls to work around. :D

Jim.

I hope that no one will put you down for what you have said. Everyone should be able to express their views.

I just would note a couple of points.

I am a big believer in diversity. By that I mean that there are several luxury cruise lines out there and I don't think they need to mimic on another.

As such for those who do prefer getting dressed in formal attire there are luxury cruise lines that offer this option.

And for those who prefer alternatives some luxury crusie lines who also offer formal also offer alternatves and there are some luxury lines that don't have formal.

So you do have a choice out there. But if you select a luxury line that say has formal nights and no other option then IMHO folks should go with those recommendations, stay in their cabins or not book the cruise. I say this because I think it's important to be respectful of others.

At the same time, in the long run demand will dictate change as it has alway done so.

It is no different than being on land. There are some restaurant that still require a jacket for dinner while many don't. If one requires a jacket and I don't want to wear one (this would not be the case as I would be happy to wear one) then I'll go to one that does not require the jacket.

Each business has rules so I abide by them. For example, forgetting what one wears each cruise line has other rules and I do what they request or if I don't care to follow those rules I find another cruise line that operates under other rules.

Again, it is my hope that there will be differences between the luxury lines so folks like myself who desire a line wit formality will have that option and others who desire one that is more casual will have that option.

Now many years from now if there is very little demand for the formality then companies will have to change and completely eliminate formals and the like.

But I don't think we are there yet.

Keith

Jim

We are so very happy you will join our Seabourn family in Sept.

The Spirit Sister is certainly a special ship and a favorite among Seabournites. Do you know if Capt. "Dag" will be at the helm of your sailing? (he'll join Seabourn in Sept) If Captain Ian Mcnaught masters, he's grrrreat ~one of my very favorites!:p

We loyal Seabourn 'oldtimers possibly made the "new builds" a reality ~~ a few years ago all three small ships were sell outs on most sailings ~and yes, 2, 3, and 4 formal evenings were enjoyed.

I believe for those who like to dress up, the formal night tradition should be upheld ~~those that prefer a more casual dress are offered other dining options.

Martita B.

I hope that no one will put you down for what you have said. Everyone should be able to express their views.

I just would note a couple of points.

I am a big believer in diversity. By that I mean that there are several luxury cruise lines out there and I don't think they need to mimic on another.

As such for those who do prefer getting dressed in formal attire there are luxury cruise lines that offer this option.

And for those who prefer alternatives some luxury crusie lines who also offer formal also offer alternatves and there are some luxury lines that don't have formal.

So you do have a choice out there. But if you select a luxury line that say has formal nights and no other option then IMHO folks should go with those recommendations, stay in their cabins or not book the cruise. I say this because I think it's important to be respectful of others.

At the same time, in the long run demand will dictate change as it has alway done so.

It is no different than being on land. There are some restaurant that still require a jacket for dinner while many don't. If one requires a jacket and I don't want to wear one (this would not be the case as I would be happy to wear one) then I'll go to one that does not require the jacket.

Each business has rules so I abide by them. For example, forgetting what one wears each cruise line has other rules and I do what they request or if I don't care to follow those rules I find another cruise line that operates under other rules.

Again, it is my hope that there will be differences between the luxury lines so folks like myself who desire a line wit formality will have that option and others who desire one that is more casual will have that option.

Now many years from now if there is very little demand for the formality then companies will have to change and completely eliminate formals and the like.

But I don't think we are there yet.

Keith

Keith1010

Thanks for your response. I completely agree with your comment that if there is a formal night listed then people should follow that dress code, I for one would either not book that cruise, or eat in the less formal restaurant on said formal nights. However; that said, why can't the restaurant have optional formal nights, then people could dress formally, or not, as they please, does it really spoil your night if when you are dressed in all you finery that someone else is not? It seems a little authoritarian to me and I can't see the reasoning behind it but I remain open to be convinced otherwise.

jrmuk

As your first Seabourn cruise is aboard the Odyssey you'll be able to enjoy options as to 'formal night' ~you can dine in the Colonade, Restaurant 2, Patio Grill or order In-suite dining (served course/by course)

MB

Even if one chose to dine elsewhere on formal nights and dress casually, don't you think they look a little out of place in the public areas after dinner when everyone else is in formal wear and they are in jeans?

Dear MB,Actually, I chose this cruise because it doesn’t have any formal nights at all as it is 2 week long cruises not a single 2 week cruise – I can feel the emotion in your posts, I can tell you dearly love the formal evenings and I respect that, however, I still can’t quite understand why non-formal wearing guests have to dine in other restaurants, can’t we share a restaurant with different levels of attire, admittedly not in bathing trunks or cap sleeved T shirts but me in a shirt with jacket but maybe wearing denim trousers.

Even if one chose to dine elsewhere on formal nights and dress casually, don't you think they look a little out of place in the public areas after dinner when everyone else is in formal wear and they are in jeans?

Jeans after 6:00 ???? Oh Lordy, never. :eek: Please, not on Seabourn.

MM

Jim

We are so very happy you will join our Seabourn family in Sept.

The Spirit Sister is certainly a special ship and a favorite among Seabournites. Do you know if Capt. "Dag" will be at the helm of your sailing? (he'll join Seabourn in Sept) If Captain Ian Mcnaught masters, he's grrrreat ~one of my very favorites!:p

We loyal Seabourn 'oldtimers possibly made the "new builds" a reality ~~ a few years ago all three small ships were sell outs on most sailings ~and yes, 2, 3, and 4 formal evenings were enjoyed.

I believe for those who like to dress up, the formal night tradition should be upheld ~~those that prefer a more casual dress are offered other dining options.

Martita B.

Hi Martita:

Yes, Capt. Dag is what we were told. Really looking forward to it. Should get the final travel docs soon, then the trip really begins.

J.

Dear MB,Actually, I chose this cruise because it doesn’t have any formal nights at all as it is 2 week long cruises not a single 2 week cruise – I can feel the emotion in your posts, I can tell you dearly love the formal evenings and I respect that, however, I still can’t quite understand why non-formal wearing guests have to dine in other restaurants, can’t we share a restaurant with different levels of attire, admittedly not in bathing trunks or cap sleeved T shirts but me in a shirt with jacket but maybe wearing denim trousers.

I envy you! We are booked on 2 week long cruises, on the Legend, but after the October dress code changeover. We booked with the understanding that 7 day Med cruises did not include any formal nights. Final payment was made several weeks ago, and I must admit I find it a bit disingenuous of Seabourn to make the switch inside a 90 day window. Oh well, I count myself lucky that we did not sign up for a similar Caribbean cruise as we had planned.

BTW, we are nearly twice your age.

jrmuk. We live in music city usa.....Nashville....and it is common to see many elegant denin jeans with jackets mixed into black tie environments. I don't love it, but I have grown to accept it because I can only imagine the cost of some of those outfits. I think when used appropriately dress jeans can be very elegant BUT we are still the older conservative crowd and my husband only dresses that way when we are with the younger crowd. I really think he looks good with his white hair and spiffy younger look. However, on Seabourn I'm not sure it would fit.

I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of Seabourn's dress code. Is the quote below from the current FAQ's the existing dress code or the one that applies from October 2010?

Many thanks.

Each day in the ship’s program, a suggested dress advisory designates appropriate attire for lounges and dining venues on board after 6:00 pm. It will be specified as one of the following:

Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days.

Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

The itinerary in the “Already Booked” section of Seabourn’s website, or in the preliminary document booklet, will inform you of the number of Formal Optional evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal Optional evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal Optional evening

Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal Optional evenings

Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal Optional evenings

(Note: World Cruises, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.)

:confused:I agree they did this within the 90 day final payment which is not right.I have been on SB and enjoy dressing up but I would be very angry if I booked a cruise with no formal and now has it.We will be on for 2 weeks in Oct so it does not make a difference to us.

If it is Formal Optional than there is no need for those wishing to leave the tux ashore to eat elsewhere... that would be the "optional" part.

As for me, I am 37, and really like getting dressed up for dinner. That being said, for most of my life I am extremely casual, so "dressed up" does not mean formal, rather a simple dress or pants and some mascara. :)

Keith1010

Thanks for your response. I completely agree with your comment that if there is a formal night listed then people should follow that dress code, I for one would either not book that cruise, or eat in the less formal restaurant on said formal nights. However; that said, why can't the restaurant have optional formal nights, then people could dress formally, or not, as they please, does it really spoil your night if when you are dressed in all you finery that someone else is not? It seems a little authoritarian to me and I can't see the reasoning behind it but I remain open to be convinced otherwise.

IMHO I am one of those who believe either the restaurant should either be all formal or not formal at all. I just don't think a hybrid dress code in the same venue works.

To me the analogy is do you have all the tables set with table cloths and candles and flowers, none at all, or a hybrid. IMHO I would go with the first two options because I think the hybrid situation is strange.

There is no question in my mind how people dress adds to the event.

When we have people over for a dinner party, how they dress and how the table is set makes a difference in the ambience of the evening.

Again, if I want to be casual if the cruise line has another venue I would go there.

In my case I do look forward to the formal nights, as I do the nice table cloths and a nicely set table.

Keith

... however, I still can’t quite understand why non-formal wearing guests have to dine in other restaurants, can’t we share a restaurant with different levels of attire, admittedly not in bathing trunks or cap sleeved T shirts but me in a shirt with jacket but maybe wearing denim trousers.

jrmuk,

I do not know if the winds of time will allow a dual dress designation of black tie optional / elegant casual after 6:00 pm on Seabourn ships. But I agree with Keith, change is inevitable — we just don't know when.

I would hate to have you not book with Seabourn because of 1 night out of 14 where elegant casual was not an alternate to black tie. Seabourn offers a wonderful cruise vacation experience; no matter what your suite number is the food and service on Seabourn is great.

However, in the final analysis, you have wants, needs and desires for your cruise experience and you will have to weigh that with your perception (and help from this board, friends, your TA) that Seabourn can meet those expectations with a level of confidence that you are comfortable with.

Archived