Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

I know the policy of formal/business casual/casual dress has been a controversy for many cruisers regardless of whether they cruise with Seabourn or any other cruise line. I also believe that whether or not Seabourn will have a "formal" night will also depend on the ship's itinerary that particular week. I have found that on past cruises as well as our upcoming (late Sept. to early Oct.) 3 week cruise, we will have NO formal nights. Just because there will be no formal nights won't stop me or Mom from dressing up at all! I don't get to dress up much here at home so dressing up on my cruises is a welcome pleasure!

Lisa :)

Could someone please give me a straight answer here and not wax lyrical about what they want or wish.

On my upcoming Odyssey cruise every night in the restauarant is elegant casual with no formal options.

According to Seabourns literature

Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

I interpret this as a shirt without tie or jacket is acceptable, I have also viewed quite a few online videos taken in the main restaurant that showed virtually nobody wearing a jacket, most of the gentlemen were wearing trousers and open necked dress shirts.

Is this normal? I'm quite prepared to take a jacket and wear it every night if need be, however, if I'm going to be in the minority, I'd rather not bother.

Again, can I stress I want to know the reality of life aboard Seabourn (specifically Odyssey) not what you wish it were or how it was in days gone by.

Thanks.

Yes, we're from Indiana, the Hoosier State, and 74 is unfortunately the year I graduated from IU, not my year of birth.

Is it too early to start a roll call? I read through a roll call for a similar cruise last year and it was quite active. I think perhaps you were also on that cruise? Or are we the 2.whatever CC participants who will be on this cruise? This will be our first Seabourn cruise but I really don't have many questions as this board has been very helpful. :)

That is also true for both my wife and I. IU class of 74 and current Hoosier residents.

On my upcoming Odyssey cruise every night in the restauarant is elegant casual with no formal options. According to Seabourns literature: Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

I interpret this as a shirt without tie or jacket is acceptable, I have also viewed quite a few online videos taken in the main restaurant that showed virtually nobody wearing a jacket, most of the gentlemen were wearing trousers and open necked dress shirts.

Is this normal? I'm quite prepared to take a jacket and wear it every night if need be, however, if I'm going to be in the minority, I'd rather not bother.

Again, can I stress I want to know the reality of life aboard Seabourn (specifically Odyssey) not what you wish it were or how it was in days gone by.

Thanks.

Your interpretation is almost correct. Your only options for Elegant Casual dress in The Restaurant are 1) slacks with jacket over sweater (no necktie) or 2) slacks with jacket over shirt (no necktie). You will not be in the minority if you dress this way on Elegant Casual evenings in The Restaurant.

However, slacks with collared shirt without jacket is defined in Seabourn's literature as Casual not Elegant Casual. Typically, casual nights are the first and last nights of the cruise. There might be other casual nights on your cruise depending on the itinerary, such as: an overnight port call or a late evening departure (after the dining venues are closed) and this will be decided by the Cruise Director most likely after you embark.

I so agree!!!!! Most women wonder WHY any man, assured to the hilt by every woman around him that he is incredibly handsome in formal wear, would shun wearing a tuxedo or similar formal attire?

It defeats all reason!

Answer- for SOME men, they are simply not comfortable dressed in Formal attire. OK- flame me. Vacations mean different things to different people. Aloha

I so agree!!!!! Most women wonder WHY any man, assured to the hilt by every woman around him that he is incredibly handsome in formal wear, would shun wearing a tuxedo or similar formal attire?

It defeats all reason!

Everyone is different.

Actually, this truism is untrue. At least in the context of "to tux" or " not to tux". There seem to be three camps - " in support", " against" or " don't care".

Vive la difference! So long as I can exercise choice. Which, unless I am mistaken, is the "new" Seabourn policy. And I choose to wear a tux whenever the opportunity arises. But I respect any decision by others to go without

At last we do not disagree.

I am pleased that you agree with what I said. It would be wonderful, if somewhat unlikely, that a precedent had been set.

" Miracles do not happen"

Preface to 1883 edition of Literature and Dogma by Matthew Arnold ( 1834 - 1888)

Archived