Bikinis for Pregnant Women

I think it's cute when girls wear bikinis when they're pregnant. Maybe because I was longing to be pregnant myself! But now that I am, I'm wondering if that would be ok or would a lot of people be offended by it? I'm thinking on a cruise I would not wear one because I'd get weird looks and comments.

What do you all think?

Nowadays, alot of women show off their pregnant tummies....if you want to, go for it! Things have changed regarding fashion and pregnancy in the last 20 years or so! used to be, you "hid" (or tried to!) your expanding middle...but no more!

I think most people worry far too much about what other people think. I have found most people really worry the most about themselves, and are paying very little attention to others. Wear a bikini if you like, you cannot keep people from being "offended" by everything. If they are, it's really their problem.

Be careful tanning when pregnant.

Princess Diana wore a bikini while pregnant, so I think it's fine. There are certainly much worse things to see on the pool deck.

(I haven't worn one since I was 6, and my white tummy will never see the sun again. :rolleyes:)

there was a pregnant girl in a bikini on my last cruise. Her tummy didn't get near as many stares as her hot pink hair did. :)

It might be unattractive really really late in a pregnancy, but at that point who is going to feel like putting on a bathing suit anyway...

i think it's adorable when pregnant women wear bikinis. it shows they are proud of their bellies! although if you were in no shape to wear a bikini before you were pregnant, then maybe not so much. i dont know if you watch the show "Bethenny getting Married" on bravo, but she wore two really cute bikinis on her honeymoon, here is one of them:

http://www.stellamaternity.com/sp-jessica-pur.html

there was a pregnant girl in a bikini on my last cruise. Her tummy didn't get near as many stares as her hot pink hair did. :)

It might be unattractive really really late in a pregnancy, but at that point who is going to feel like putting on a bathing suit anyway...

LOL!:p You are funny!

i think it's adorable when pregnant women wear bikinis. it shows they are proud of their bellies! although if you were in no shape to wear a bikini before you were pregnant, then maybe not so much. i dont know if you watch the show "Bethenny getting Married" on bravo, but she wore two really cute bikinis on her honeymoon, here is one of them:

http://www.stellamaternity.com/sp-jessica-pur.html

What a cute bikini! I love it! Thanks for the link.

Francie :)

Many years ago I had a girlfriend who liked to get a really dark tan. Her boyfriend built a tanning "box" for her to lie in so she could tan topless without the neighbours seeing. When she was about 6 months pregnant her doctor told her to stop it ... he said she was "cooking" her baby and was risking not just overheating herself, but the baby also. I've never forgotten that >>> and it was enough to get her to quit the tanning while pregnant.

I can't imagine that it'd be healthy for a developing in utero baby to be exposed to a lot of sun as in potential sunburn.. I know it's not the greatest thing to sit in a hot tub if your pregnant too as it can raise the core temperature.

I think it's cute for a pregnatn woman in a bikini, too, but even if the doctor gave the go ahead I still wouldn't want to take a chance of risking any potential harm.

Protect who? The baby? I am very confused by your question.

Thanks again everyone. I'm not planning on tanning but I do like to swim and I can't stand a one piece bathing suit. It's so constricting and such a pain when you have to go to the bathroom! It's good to hear no one has a problem with it. I'll probably mostly stay in shaded areas and I'll double check with my Dr. about this too.

Thanks again,

Francie

Let us know what the doc says..that'd be good information for others

Thanks again everyone. I'm not planning on tanning but I do like to swim and I can't stand a one piece bathing suit. It's so constricting and such a pain when you have to go to the bathroom! It's good to hear no one has a problem with it. I'll probably mostly stay in shaded areas and I'll double check with my Dr. about this too.

Thanks again,

Francie

I appreciate the beauty of the human body in all stages of life..so it would not offend me to see even a very pregnant woman in a bikini. With that said though.. I will tell you that as a child I still remember seeing for the first time a pregnant womans tummy 'revealed'. It (then) was such an oddity to me that I almost could not help staring .. Rude - I know.. but kids will be kids.. and I can imagine that you may run into some stares - and not just from children. If that does not bother you ..then do what is most comfortable...

My dear Mother used to tell me .. wear it / do it in public only if it will not embarass you if it happens to show up on film..and todays version of that would be you tube. That is a pretty good barometer!

Have fun on your cruise.

Really, How many chances will you have to be cute and pregnant in a bikini. unless you plan on lots of babies and lots of cruises I say go for it and enjoy! And as I tell myself everytime I travel and look a mess, "I will never see these people again!"

Sigh. When I was pregnant....40 years ago...I had a maternity bathing suit that had so much material in it that I put Omar the Tent Maker out of business for a month. Everytime I stood still, people asked if the circus was in town.... I think the new trend to

"let it all hang out" is great....so much more comfortable and I think a pregnant belly should be classified as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Archived