Star - spinnaker lounge

Bubba54

Just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Star. Went with some friends and asked them to meet in the Spinnaker lounge on deck 12 forward. Got up there and found it had been replaced with cabins and moved aft on a loweer deck. Very dissapointing. I think this was a mistake.:(

Has anyone else experinced this yet?

Just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Star. Went with some friends and asked them to meet in the Spinnaker lounge on deck 12 forward. Got up there and found it had been replaced with cabins and moved aft on a loweer deck. Very dissapointing. I think this was a mistake.:(

Has anyone else experinced this yet?

You're a bit late to the party on this one. Happened waaayyyy back in February.

The Spinaker Lounge on Deck 12 was my favorite place on the Star. It was a great place to watch as the ship was sailing. Was on the Star twice.. once to Hawaii and once to Alaska.... what great venues to use Spinaker for viewing.

Now they have shoved it down as an interior lounge and don't really have a place like it used to be for relaxing and viewing.

Probably money talking... they can kill two birds with one change... add in more high end suites and move the Spinaker to an inside lounge where people are more likely to buy more drinks instead of just sitting there watching the ship sail.

I'm with you... it was a huge mistake.

I'm with you, too. Huge mistake.

I have no desire to sail a ship without a forward observation lounge, even a ship that was previously one of my favorites. I sailed her before and after the change and although it was still a wonderful all-around cruise experience afterward, the missing forward lounge was a big disappointment. The forward Spinnaker was the heart of the ship for me, socially and for communing with the sea while enjoying the company of fellow passengers.

Who wants to book a suite without a balcony?

Me. I've been to Alaska enough times that the lack of a balcony is more than made up for by the suite amenities and the floor to ceiling glass along the entire outboard wall. If I want to go outside, I will just step outside the door to the immediately adjacent deck. To each their own, I always say.

Me. I've been to Alaska enough times that the lack of a balcony is more than made up for by the suite amenities and the floor to ceiling glass along the entire outboard wall. If I want to go outside, I will just step outside the door to the immediately adjacent deck. To each their own, I always say.

Couldn't agree more as I have one booked for February.

I think I'll have to pass on the suite experience and maybe book two or three more balcony cruises instead. But they won't be on the Star again with the Spinnaker gone. We liked it that much.

You might be surprised about that.....I got this suite cheaper than I could have gotten a mini on the same sailing, by a significant amount of dollars per person.

You might be surprised about that.....I got this suite cheaper than I could have gotten a mini on the same sailing, by a significant amount of dollars per person.

I suspect now that they are complete the rates will go up quite a bit.

To each there own. I also just got off the Star. Had a balcony. Loved the balcony hated the new Spinnaker cave and wished they would not have moved it but I do understand it from an economic perspective. Was informed by the crew that this is just one of the several ships that will see the same retrofit. As for the new cabins I got a tour of one and they are nice just not my cup of tea. I won't cruise without a balcony. Regardless of the cost difference. After speaking with the crew my guess and there's is that these changes will not be deal breakers but NCL is already getting an earful from Latitude memebers.

You could always book one of the new suites and still have the view.

That's exactly what we've chosen to do. We've been on the Star twice before and after booking the 3rd time I discovered that they were renovating and had done away with the Spinnaker on 12. BIG disappointment. But then we got a call with an upgrade offer for a great price. Having spent a lot of time in the Spinnaker as well as the game and lifestyles rooms, we knew what those windows were like and we wanted them!

Truthfully, I will miss the balcony but a deck is one minute away, so no big deal. We leave in 33 days so I'll let you know when we get back whether we liked the suites or not, and how it was to be without the Spinnaker on 12.

Having said all that, I do feel sorry for those with the inside cabins and no forward observation lounge. Time will tell whether this was a good move for NCL or not.

Archived