A First-Time Princess Cruiser's Review of the Emerald Princess

Debbierpof

Time to get moving. As soon as we got back on the ship we headed for the International Café (of course). I enjoyed a small prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich – just enough to satisfy and leave me hungry for the big night!

The rendezvous point was International Café where Nicola Furlan (the Maitre’D) met us. He explained the Chef’s Table, gave us some information, facts and figures on the Emerald and then asked us to don the white lab coats.

4865297524_e11c81ba26.jpg

I know that they ask that you wear closed-toed shoes, but I didn’t (the only ones I had were sneakers). It was not an issue. So we got in our coats and followed Nicola to the galley.

4867288362_2845e5fd26.jpg

There we met the Executive Chef, Christophe Belin. Both he and Nicola were very warm, friendly and funny.

4867288254_6a9acaaafe.jpg

They led us to the back where we would be out of the way of the servers. It was Italian Night and the servers were dressed for the occasion.

4866682001_5900d542a8.jpg

First things first… we were served champagne and made a toast. A great way to begin our evening! And then came the wonderful appetizers, served by Nicola and explained/introduced by Chef Christophe!

The first was my favorite. Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado & Mango. (Sidenote: The recipe for this dish is not in the Princess cookbook. I mentioned this to the head waiter a couple of nights later, and he went and got me the recipe in writing! Again, the best service ever!)

4865297270_47149a4424.jpg

And then there was the Salmon Tartare with Traditional Condiments.

4864679137_ddacd25b86.jpg

*** Going out to dinner... I'll post more on the Chef's Table after dinner! ***

The first was my favorite. Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado & Mango. (Sidenote: The recipe for this dish is not in the Princess cookbook. I mentioned this to the head waiter a couple of nights later, and he went and got me the recipe in writing! Again, the best service ever!)

4865297270_47149a4424.jpg

And then there was the Salmon Tartare with Traditional Condiments.

4864679137_ddacd25b86.jpg

*** Going out to dinner... I'll post more on the Chef's Table after dinner! ***

Look so yummy!! please share the Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado & Mango recipe. Thanks

I have really enjoyed your review and can't wait for the next installment! I am on the Emerald mid-September...now I can't wait!

I just read a thread about a treasure hunt on embarkation.....did they have this on your cruise?

Oh, yes. The treasure hunt. We actually did the treasure hunt. It's a good way to quickly explore the ship and learn where the main areas are. Basically, you get a card that almost looks like a bingo card with different locations on the ship where you are to go and get stamped. It's all good. But beware of The Lotus Spa stamp. They kind of link it to a tour of the spa. We took it because, well, why not. This is the one time I did get a hard sell of services and passes. It may have taken 20-30 minutes. At a certain time, you turn in your completed card at the Neptune Pool party at sail away that I mentioned at the beginning of my review. Have a blast!!!

Great review so far :) It's making me want to take the same cruise as you did. Aren't the spa people just wonderful? ;) I was on the Sapphire heading to Alaska on July 18th, and my mom and I got stuck at the spa too in order to get the stamp. Luckily for us, my mom snuck out as soon as the leader of the tour gave us our stamp.

Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

*** Back from dinner and the bookstore ***

Chef's Table - The Culinary Adventure Continues

Next we were served a creamy, rich and delicious Bistro Mini Cheese Quiche with Truffle & Cherry Tomatoes.

4867805518_d70cf7178a.jpg

Ah, and what’s a special night out without caviar… Roasted New Potatoes with Sour Cream & Caviar, to be exact. Chef Belin also detailed the history of caviar for us.

4867188955_a90f7760e8.jpg

By the way, they never allowed a champagne glass to be empty. Happy, happy! And then, it was time to exit the kitchen and head to the Chef’s Table!!

So we removed our coats and headed into the dining room. The table was set beautifully. Very elegant.

4864679033_5c417160fe.jpg

4865296790_df6c3703a1.jpg

Our new friends and fellow CCers, Jim & Teri (escape97), were also selected for the Chef's Table:

4865296612_6c9725d32a.jpg

We took our seats and waited to be amazed. Of course, the red and white wine began to flow. And then the food parade continued…

Great review so far :) It's making me want to take the same cruise as you did. Aren't the spa people just wonderful? ;) I was on the Sapphire heading to Alaska on July 18th, and my mom and I got stuck at the spa too in order to get the stamp. Luckily for us, my mom snuck out as soon as the leader of the tour gave us our stamp.

Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

LOL... no teeth whitening or ionicwhatchamacallit for me... But I know a couple of friends that did enjoy their massages and my SIL & BIL enjoyed the thermal spa (I think that was $199 per couple for the week). I'd rather spend that money on the Chef's Table!!! :D Just saying...

Asparagus Risotto with Lobster Tail & Claws -- this was even better than it looks... YUM!

4865296456_856c809e7c.jpg

Strawberry & Cracked Pepper Sorbet – with vodka

Once the sorbet was served, Chef Christophe introduced us to Grey Goose and then went around the table serving vodka over the sorbet. Mmmm....

4867246901_b5afbb53b3.jpg

4867863364_8e99fb661e.jpg

This is the sorbet... with a chocolate plume...

4865296324_aba88ffb13.jpg

Then Chef Christophe began the fire works!

4865296238_1b38121fdc.jpg

Roast Veal Shank & Veal Tenderloin Carved Table Side with Cepes & Jus, Market Vegetables and Chateau Potatoes -- this picture was taken by escape97. The head waiter (can't believe I can't remember his name) helped to serve. He was sooooo nice!

4867916492_cbdc42f356.jpg

4867916426_a021170e57.jpg

Baked Camembert with Pine Nuts, Port Wine Reduction & Walnut Bread -- it also included a fig and a date torte-like bite (LOVED THIS STUFF) -- picture by escape97.

4867805414_095660deea.jpg

Am loving this thread :) We were supposed to be on this cruise but chickened out at the last moment. Our son is in the Grand Cayman working this summer and the thought of not getting into see him (apperently it is a port missed alot in the summer months due to bad weather) and the price stopped us for booking it :(

We went to Puerto Vallarta for 10 days instead and had a great time but now I am seeing what I missed :D

Thank you for posting and looking forward (not sure really...;)) about your great day in GC!!!!

Passion Fruit Dome Cake in a Whiskey Soaked Raspberry Loft Center Mango Glaze in a sugar bowl... Yummy art work!!!

4867351549_4a445051df.jpg

All gone!

4867351429_d0e2e3dd22.jpg

Chef Christophe’s Homemade Bonbons... Beautiful presentation, and the taste??? Take a guess... Fellow CCer (TNittany10) is presented with the bonbons...

4867351515_c8e2721f9c.jpg

4867966702_0d65e51144.jpg

Am loving this thread :) We were supposed to be on this cruise but chickened out at the last moment. Our son is in the Grand Cayman working this summer and the thought of not getting into see him (apperently it is a port missed alot in the summer months due to bad weather) and the price stopped us for booking it :(

We went to Puerto Vallarta for 10 days instead and had a great time but now I am seeing what I missed :D

Thank you for posting and looking forward (not sure really...;)) about your great day in GC!!!!

Fortunately, we did make it to GC. I can understand the price issue (plus airfare!). But Puerto Vallarta sounds heavenly too! You'll just need to board the Emerald sometime in the near future -- a wonderful ship and crew!

And so this three-hour experience had come to an end... we took some photos and said farewell. The other participants of the Chef's Table actually got together for dinner the last evening on the ship -- instead we spent it with our family and friends. I would highly recommend the Chef's Table to anyone!!! How does the Maitre'D select the participants? He wouldn't reveal, but three of the six couples there were on the Cruise Critic Roll Call. Interesting... The next day, they delivered our photos and the Princess Cookbook signed by Nicola and Chef Christophe. We did it and it was worth it!!!

4867300783_28ff715523.jpg

4867351591_691836da3c.jpg

4867301407_e856fdb494.jpg

4867916782_bca476c445.jpg

I've enjoyed your reviews immensely and look forward to them on an hour to hour basis. I'll be on the Emerald the first two weeks of September and it can't come soon enough. Chef's Table has been on my Bucket List for three years when I first heard of the event. I know being chosen is like winning a lottery but being a solo traveler, I may have a better than average chance of attending this 3 hour extravagaza.

The photos you've been taking have also whetted my appetite to be on board . I did this same itinerary on the Caribbean Princess in '07 and I'm hoping for the same if not a greater experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time with your review, Debbierpof. It is a joy to read.

Just call the dine number the moment you get to your cabin--the last trip on the Emerald said that they were already full--next day the invitation in the mail box for the next night--we've done this at least 4 times--still believe it's first come first serve--another good way to spend your money is on the UST--great fun and a bit educational--give it a try.

Nancy:D

Archived