A First-Time Princess Cruiser's Review of the Emerald Princess

Debbierpof

Debbierpof,

I am so enjoying this review with great pics. I don't have anything currently booked and I think that's going to change very soon thanks to your great review!

Toddy709 - I loved this ship! I'm hoping we can sail on her again -- so much left to do! Book it!

Great review, great pictures, too! I didn't realize we could leave the Princess area of Princess Cays; that conch salad looks amazing!

Thanks! It was $10 for the bowl -- but it was a huge portion. My DH also bought some beer. The exit it close to the tender waiting area behind the first aid station.

I fell in love with Conch salad in the bahamas. If you went into town (not Lucay but down town Freeport) there is a little stand that makes the best Conch. The salad and fritters were excelent!!! Now I always have to have some. Thanks for the heads up on the stalls outside the property. I saw them last cruise but never went over....

debbierpof, nice review. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your comments and pictures.:D

You may not know the answer to this as it was your 1st time there but others like Colocruiser might know this. Is the property with all the little stalls a new additional to Princess Cays? We were there in 2007 and don't remember seeing that area. Or did we just miss it?:eek: We will be there this December on the Ruby and am now looking forward even more to re-visiting PC.:) One of my favorite ports.

debbierpof, nice review. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your comments and pictures.:D

You may not know the answer to this as it was your 1st time there but others like Colocruiser might know this. Is the property with all the little stalls a new additional to Princess Cays? We were there in 2007 and don't remember seeing that area. Or did we just miss it?:eek: We will be there this December on the Ruby and am now looking forward even more to re-visiting PC.:) One of my favorite ports.

I believe those are outside the main gate area and across that little bridge to the island. ;)

Thank you for sharing.

I can't wait to read more.

We just booked Emerald for October 9.

This is my first post.

Claire

ire;

Great news regarding your booking the cruise. As a previous poster stated, be careful about posting. It can be quite adicting. I didn't start posting till March of 2008 and I'm hooked.....:):):)

Bob

.................has it always been there and I just missed it?:confused:

It has increased in size over the years but there have always been some there.

Nobody really knows about it other then word of mouth and it can't be seen from the main passenger area.

Thank you for sharing.

I can't wait to read more.

We just booked Emerald for October 9.

This is my first post.

Claire

Claire,

Come join our roll call in the roll call section. I'd post a link if someone would tell me how to do it.

Jamaica – It was another overcast day on the cruise. Not a problem – that just means it won’t be hot! So we make it to Ocho Rios, Jamaica – the place that so many love to hate.

4864677671_a928c01436.jpg

4866819442_0e9ca29f5f.jpg

After much research on CC, I organized a tour through Peat Taylor. We had communicated for a couple of months and determined that our day would be spent zip lining and climbing Dunn’s River Falls. The day did not disappoint! There were 15 in our group (all CC Roll Call friends). Finding Peat was not as easy because there are sooo many folks that want your tour business once you’re at the port, so when someone said they were Peat I asked for their id card (that’s what he said in an e-mail to do to ensure it wasn’t an imposter). He then introduced us to his son who would be with us for the day. And so, it was time to go!

Our tour was $95 per person for both DRF and zip lining. The ship’s shore excursions did not include both activities and were much more expensive. They also use Mystic Mountain for their zip lining. Not Peat Taylor! Instead, we went to H’evans Scent.

4865294690_a7d3c312fe.jpg

It was a 30-minute drive (at least) up the mountains into this plantation-like setting. Beautiful and serene (and with guards)! The owner, Derrick Evans, gave a talk about what we were about to experience and served a home-made juice of the fruit cultivated on his land. Delicious.

4866766956_fa73bb8744.jpg

So we sign waivers (HA!), get our gear on (talk about looking dorky) and head for the first zip line. OMG. Whose bright idea was this? Oh, yeah, I put it together.

4866149469_c438d99e67.jpg

So I was sent out in the first batch to jump from the first tower. I can’t recall the last time I had this much adrenaline flowing through my veins… You squat on the side of the deck and then they tell you to “fall”… I just asked them to give me a push. I screamed the first third of the way and then realized I was okay and enjoyed the ride (410 feet). That's my SIL getting ready to go...

4865295968_fbb7a310b5.jpg

This is my friend Dan who obviously was not petrified as I or my SIL were.

4864677529_b5b3cc6faf.jpg

The next zip line, you had to climb a very tall wooden pole (electrical pole) and use the large metal staples on the sides as steps. Ha! It had rained so we were muddy and you’re slick. Makes for an interesting climb. Once up on the 5 foot by 5 foot deck it’s time to jump off again. Not bad.

4866795866_9a10e5d217.jpg

The third ride was called the Screamer – for good reason! Everybody screamed. You go in teams of three. They lift you to almost a 90 degree angle and the person in the middle pulls the rope that releases you into a massive fall/swing. Awesome!!! These guys were still in the lifting stage. Heehee...

4864677233_07c97898fd.jpg

Woohoo!!

4865295144_5a063bba8d.jpg

Then we relaxed a little before heading to the other side of the property for our final zipping. This pole was 10 feet taller than the last… and the ride was 1,200 ft. What a thrill!!! I can do it!!!

4864676979_b1e09e3f64.jpg

Really enjoyed this one the most. For the final zip, the platform wasn’t too high because it was at the top of the hill already. It was another 1,200 feet back to the other side. In this picture, I'm actually taking a video of the ride and not screaming my head off.

4866276761_915b832cbf.jpg

A great way to spend the morning! I would recommend it in a heartbeat! The worst and toughest part was climbing the poles (of course, “falling” off the decks to actually zip was heart pounding).

Our group included CaliPhil and Escape97 (friedshrimp not pictured) -- everybody was muddy.

4864677887_0abd248e1d.jpg

Just had to share this picture...

4866276701_500db7fe8d.jpg

The drive to H’evans Scent was a little treacherous – Peat’s son constantly honked his horn as a warning to incoming traffic around the bend. Yikes!

4866343925_6479d581ab.jpg

More to come!

We arrive in Dunn’s River Falls when it starts pouring rain. Some in the group decide to go shopping (“No problem, man!”) and some of us go for it. We’re getting wet anyhow, right?

4866370867_6b424fc90d.jpg

We all get our water shoes on and are given a guide. We go down to the beach – which is so peaceful. And then we’re off to climb. The water was pretty cool but not uncomfortable. Some areas were a little more difficult to climb but never dangerous. There were a lot of cruisers there (the Liberty of the Seas was also in port).

4866986946_88a8570260.jpg

It was great having just ten people in our group versus the huge groups you saw from the cruise shore excursions. Jim & Teri (escape97):

4867012406_76acb0e5bd.jpg

We made it up with no problem, taking pictures and video along the way.

4865294286_d95d30cc55.jpg

Peat’s son came by and told us it was time to go – so we didn’t make it to the very top. I thought it was great that they kept us on time. We went back to pick up the shoppers and headed back to the ship. We were back with plenty of time left. As a token of appreciation, Jamaica gave us a beautiful rainbow as we sailed away.

4865297602_0352935ec8.jpg

Gotta get ready for the Chef’s Table! Though I can’t believe I went to Jamaica and didn’t eat!!!

I love your review....lots of pictures and not a lot of nonsense...you get to the point and still keep it interesting...like a great book you can't put down. Keep it up...you're making my days pass ever so quick until I am on the Emerald in October!!

I love your review....lots of pictures and not a lot of nonsense...you get to the point and still keep it interesting...like a great book you can't put down. Keep it up...you're making my days pass ever so quick until I am on the Emerald in October!!

Thanks! I've read some other reviews that I thought were just great and jotted down info for my trip. I hope this is helpful and gets future cruisers excited about setting sail. Have a great trip!!!!!!

Archived