Need help with day in London

Pearl64

We will be in London for one day plus a little of the next morning before taking the train to Southampton for our cruise. (Aug. 18-19) We are staying near Waterloo station. My husband wants to see Buckingham Palace. Tickets are still available (at least last night they were). Our flight gets in at 6:45 am and we are going to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and from there we are not sure whether it will be cab or tube to Waterloo. We will need to have some sort of breakfast at some point plus dropping off our luggage at our hotel. We were looking at a 12:15 tour of Buckingham which is supposedly 2.5 hours in length. From there we want to head to the Tower Bridge Museum and then walk our way back to our hotel in Waterloo--the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. Is this doable?

Questions: 1. We can walk to Buckingham but what would be the best way to get to Tower Bridge? 2. How long timewise is the walk from Tower Bridge back to Waterloo? There have been several walks mentioned on this forum that sound interesting. Are there places along the way to get something reasonable (I know it is London) for dinner? Any place for sticky toffee pudding? 3. We would like to do something in the morning before our train departs. We have not gotten those tickets as we were advised against this. We would like to leave Waterloo between 11 and 12 to get to Southampton in time to buy some wine and head to the ship by 3. We do not want the train that leaves at 20 after the hour as that one involves a change and with luggage that would not be good. Is going to the Globe for the backstage tour out of the question? We could walk there to be there when it opens and then if necessary take the tube back to our hotel to retrieve luggage and head to the train. 4. How long before the train that we want departs do we need to be there to purchase tickets and to be ready to board? 5. If the Globe is out of the question, what else could we do for an hour or two in the morning?

Thanks all you Londoners who have helped me so much on this trip already.

Pearl

First time in London, after an overnite multi-time-zone flight, with luggage, hotel mid-way between stations.:eek:

Take a cab from Paddington.:)

Get the driver to take a very slightly convoluted route via Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Constitution Hill, Buck House, The Mall, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall (4 miles instead of 3.8) - this will give you a good overview of the western half of central London.

Tower Bridge & the Tower of London are a little bit out on a limb to the east. From Buck House, take either Circle or District underground from St James's Park to Tower Hill (no changes). The walk back to your hotel is about 3 miles if you walk along the south bank of the river, but takes in a number of sights including HMS Belfast, London Bridge & The London Bridge Experience, Southwark cathedral, Tate Modern, The Globe, the Millenium Bridge (super views across to St Paul's cathedral), the modern Queen Elizabeth Hall & National Theatre. There are plenty of places to eat, esp around The Globe if you're hungry by then, but for a pukka dinner mebbe cross to the north side over Waterloo Bridge for stax of restaurants, pubs, etc in Covent Garden, or on the Strand, or the side-streets around. From there, either walk down the lively Strand to Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall past HorseGuards Parade, Downing St & other sights. Or leave that bit til the morning, & continue along the river, but now on the Embankment on the north bank.

- in both cases, return to your hotel over Westminster Bridge. No convenient underground stations on the south bank other than at London Bridge, but wherever you want to cut the walk short or cheat on a section or two, cabs are plentiful for a short hop.

Theoretically that walk will take somewhere between 1 & 2 hours depending on which route & your pace, but you'll keep stopping at various places so your walk could last a week :D

But its near-as-dammit all flat ground

Try to fit in Westminster Abbey/Houses of Parliament, they're on your route to Buck House, though you might then find it easier to take a cab the rest of the way.

Your scheduling is pretty hectic, I've suggested in similar spirit but others may well caution you that you won't survive on your feet :)

If anyone suggests making use of a ho-ho bus I won't argue.;)

John Bull

Thanks WWLL and John Bull. The cab idea is a good one. This is our second trip to London and my third. We did see Westminster Abbey on the last trip as well as the Changing of the Guard. We personally liked St. Paul's better and got to sit right up with the choir for evensong. It was quite memorable.

We also have seen the Tower of London but not the museum right at the bridge that will give us those views. We have not seen any of the sights on the south bank other than seeing a play at the Globe.

I know we will be coming off a night flight and five time zones but this is how we conquered the jet lag when we arrived in Edinburgh and there was quite a hill! We want to keep going until about 7 and then crash at the hotel. Hopefully, we will get some sleep on the plane. Fat chance, I know.

I appreciate the mileage as well as the time frame. We will be there next week. Can't wait.

Pearl

Agree with JB on most of the stuff. If you go to Tower Bridge make sure you go up and over the walkways at the top. If you are going from Waterloo I would just grab a cab to get from hotel to station for what its going to cost. Best deal on the train Waterloo to Southampton is www.megatrain.co.uk where from about 40 days before travel you can get the fare for £1 each. You have to select your train, but there is one available every hour so shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't think you will have much sightseeing time on that morning, so just get up and have a leisurely breakfast (who knows when you are going to eat next going on a cruise!!!!) and wander to Waterloo.

Simon

We had similar concerns prior to our Baltic cruise from Dover in June...luggage, a lost night's sleep on the overnight flight, but still wanted to spend the day touring London. So, we hired Jeff at airport-connect dot com...he picked the eight of us up at Heathrow, with our luggage, in a large and very comfortable van, and we proceeded to visit all the attractions we had planned to see. Jeff simply dropped us off at each location, and when we were done, we called him to pick us up with the prepaid cell phone he provided us...he was usually at the curb within 5 minutes. At the end of the day, and our energy totally spent, he dropped us off at our hotel.

We only had the one day to cram in as much as possible. This way we wasted little time travelling and looking for our destinations, and Jeff got us right to the main entrance of each attraction...it worked out extremely well!

Sam

As was mentioned, you could do one of the two HoHo buses and manage to get to see most of London in the process. You can get on and off at will, spend some time at the places you wish to really see, and then within a few minutes, catch the next bus to your next destination. a private car and driver sound nice, but that should cost a pretty penny, when you can do almost the same thing for about 15 pounds.

Cheers

Len

As was mentioned, you could do one of the two HoHo buses and manage to get to see most of London in the process. You can get on and off at will, spend some time at the places you wish to really see, and then within a few minutes, catch the next bus to your next destination. a private car and driver sound nice, but that should cost a pretty penny, when you can do almost the same thing for about 15 pounds.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

It was actually a lot less expensive than you might think for our private transportation. It all depends on your number of people, and your goals. We were a group of 8, and with all our luggage, it cost us only 30 pounds each, including tip! I don't really know, but for a smaller group, a smaller vehicle would likely be used, and the total cost presumably lower(?). One would have to check with Jeff to get a quote.

I can only say that for us, the additional cost was inconsequential, given the convenience of having our luggage transported with us, having someone who knows the city well pick us from the airport and wisk us directly to each of the places we wanted to visit, even make recommendations, and very little time wasted. Had we had several days to explore London, we probably would have done something different, involving the Ho-Ho buses and tube, but for a one-day whirlwind tour to see as much as possible, with no sleep and lots of cruise luggage, this was the perfect solution!

Sam

I need to go from High Street Kensington to Victoria Coach Station to catch National Express to Dover. There is a Bus 702 run by Greenline (Operated by First-Thames Valley).

Their web site does not give the fare! Apparently they do not take the Oyster Card!

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TTB_REQUEST?language=en&command=direct&net=set&line=04702&sup=A&project=y08&contentFilter=TIMINGPOINTS&outputFormat=0&itdLPxx_displayHeader=true

Do you think I can use this bus with my one big suitcase? What do you think the fare is?

TIA.

The No 52 runs down Kensington Church St to Kensington High St and then goes to Buckingham Palace Rd (where the NE coach station is). You can use your Oyster card on that. Advertised journey time is 34 minutes. If you only have one bag and you can manage it up the 2 or 3 steps into the bus, you should be OK. If you chose to take a black cab, it should be no more than £10.

Simon

Hi Len,

It was actually a lot less expensive than you might think for our private transportation. It all depends on your number of people, and your goals. We were a group of 8, and with all our luggage, it cost us only 30 pounds each, including tip! I don't really know, but for a smaller group, a smaller vehicle would likely be used, and the total cost presumably lower(?). One would have to check with Jeff to get a quote.

I can only say that for us, the additional cost was inconsequential, given the convenience of having our luggage transported with us, having someone who knows the city well pick us from the airport and wisk us directly to each of the places we wanted to visit, even make recommendations, and very little time wasted. Had we had several days to explore London, we probably would have done something different, involving the Ho-Ho buses and tube, but for a one-day whirlwind tour to see as much as possible, with no sleep and lots of cruise luggage, this was the perfect solution!

Sam

Thanks for the heads up Sam. I wasn't trying to be critical, just many people come here looking for ways to save money. Your idea has merits, and hopefully can help some one.

Cheers

Len

As you are staying near Waterloo a recommendation for a good british meal is Roasts above Borough market. It is open for breakfast lunch and dinner it is not particularly cheap but does all the traditional roast dinners and desserts. We love the walk from tower bridge along the South Bank def. worth doing not sure which hotel you are staying at for distance but we have walked from the London eye to tower bridge on several occasions and can thoroughly recommend.

Thanks to all who have given me tips on our time in London. JB, we will probably take your advice on taking a taxi from Paddington as well as asking to go the other route.

Simon,we did get tickets for the Megatrain to Southampton. That was quite tricky to do since i did not realize that London and Waterloo were one and the same. I kept looking for Waterloo and didn't find it, but it showed up when I went far enough into the reservation. That saved us some pounds doing that. Thanks!

Sammy, we are taking the Heathrow Express in from Heathrow. I appreciate your tip of having the driver take us around but we want to play it by ear and just do a leisurely walk back from Tower Bridge. It is good to know that it is doable. We are staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge which is very convenient to Waterloo station.

Giantfan, I appreciate your suggestions here as well as on other topics. You always have a reasonable approach to things. While I know Europe is more costly than here in the Pittsburgh area if we can save a little so we can do the splurge items we want to do then that is all the better. Since we will be gone almost a month every little bit will help.

We are excited to doing the walk along the South Bank. Many have given positive reviews. Let's hope for a nonrain day. I know we will be in London.

Thanks again!

Pearl

Enjhoy your cruise to Alaska. We went last year at that exact same time. It rained every day on the cruise but we just made the most of it. I do hope you are doing the land portion as well. If you are going to Denali, make certain you take the park's tour of the park. I forget which color of busses they are but we went all the way to the eiselson Center. The ship had us only going into the park 2 miles. We gave that up--no money back unfortunately- and paid about $31 for the 8 hour bus. It was the best part of the trip--saw many bear, moose, caribou, etc. It did not seem that long. Our driver was fantastic. Bus was only about 1/3 full so it made it nice.

It will probably be fall in Alaska. It was gorgeous. We have fall in the East with our trees, but Alaska's ground is spectacular.

Enjoy!

Pearl

I too have heard wonderful things about the restaurant Roast at the Borough Market. I can also recomment Baltic restaurant (on "The Cut" near the Old Vic Theatre) as a very tasty place. You could also just nosh your way through Borough Market's offerings. Also on the South Bank is Shad Row, at the South Bank end of Tower Bridge. This area used to be warehouses for tea and similar imported goods, and the buildings are cool. There are a number of small eateries and shops there. I can't remember the name of the place I ate.

Also on the South Bank is Shad Row, at the South Bank end of Tower Bridge.
The street is actually called Shad Thames. That name is also applied to the entire area on the south side of the river to the east of Tower Bridge, as far as St Saviour's Dock to the east and Tooley Street to the south. Many eateries in this area of all types, from good value chains to fine dining (although that restaurant is, IMHO, rather overrated).

Hi Pearl

If you use the TFL (Transport for London) it will tell you the best way to get From the Palace to Tower Bridge http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

There are also lots of places to eat at Butlers Wharf, right next to the Bridge.

A couple of them are owned by D&D. D&D and the Evening Standard have deals during the summer and you can eat quite cheaply, you just have to book and say you are using the Evening Standard deal.

http://www.danddlondon.com/

I have used them and for the price are very good.

While I know Europe is more costly than here in the Pittsburgh area if we can save a little so we can do the splurge items we want to do then that is all the better.

Categorisng 'Europe' as a single place for cost is a very broad generalisation. Personally I find the US more expensive than the UK and that seems to be borne out by an article in the Times travel suplement today I am reading. This says for the UK traveller the US and France are the expensive places to visit for everyday costs, whilst Portugal and Spain are some of the cheaper.

It is quite possible to stay in London quite cheaply, but if you are a stranger, new in town I guess you end up most of the time following what is being marketed at you.

I'm quite sure if I went to Pitssburgh I'd end up in a hotel and eating in places you'd never dream of using as an informed local.

Although Europe looks 'western' like 'home' the underlying culture is different to the US, people do have different values and tastes. As the years drift by this gap seems to be getting wider and wider. Some things are cheaper than the US, some more expensive. In general if you don't adapt to local tastes and culture, things can become expensive.

For example, me and most of my colleagues at work have a problem with the quality of food in the US. To eat healthily and tastily there seems very expensive, based on European standards. You either adapt to the local culture or pay through the nose for something like the comforts of home.

I guess thats why most people find boards such as this so useful.

We have been to London before and only have two days this time. On our arrival day I booked the Buckingham Palace tour. If we're still awake, we'll probably do an early pub walk and then be done. We're staying somewhere near Marble Arch. On the next day, Thursday, I'd like to include some of the following:'

British Museum (been before, but would enjoy a quick peek, perhpas)

War Rooms (but we have been before)

Victoria & Albert

Harrods or Fortnum & Mason...for lunch or tea

St Pauls

Or something else???

We have tickets for Les Mis that evening, at the Queen's theater, I believe. I know this is very ambitious, mostly what I need is a route to see the most of these, plus whatever else...where to start from Marble Arch, so we end up close to the theater.......the advice you've given here to earlier posters has been great....

Been to Tower, Westminster, etc. thanks!!

One thing you might want to bear in mind: It's only about 10-15 minutes easy walk from the V&A to Harrods, so group those two places together.

Lots of great comments, thoughts and options in these various posts. Both V&A and Harrods are super wonderful. Here are a couple of visual samples for what's there, plus a couple of other options to consider in wonderful London.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At the Victoria & Albert Museum in London they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works:

LondVAMus.jpg

Harrods has unqiue interior displays and designs:

LondHarrInterior.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

For food in London, the markets can offer a wide range of fresh items. This is at the Portobello Road Market.:

LondonMarkFood.jpg

Another example of people shopping at Portobello Road Market:

PortobelloRdMk.jpg

London’s Eye is a unique symbol along the river that allow great views around the town of its landmarks:

LondEyeRiver.jpg

We have been to London before and only have two days this time. On our arrival day I booked the Buckingham Palace tour. If we're still awake, we'll probably do an early pub walk and then be done. We're staying somewhere near Marble Arch. On the next day, Thursday, I'd like to include some of the following:'

British Museum (been before, but would enjoy a quick peek, perhpas)

War Rooms (but we have been before)

Victoria & Albert

Harrods or Fortnum & Mason...for lunch or tea

St Pauls

Or something else???

We have tickets for Les Mis that evening, at the Queen's theater, I believe. I know this is very ambitious, mostly what I need is a route to see the most of these, plus whatever else...where to start from Marble Arch, so we end up close to the theater.......the advice you've given here to earlier posters has been great....

Been to Tower, Westminster, etc. thanks!!

London is so big with so many things to see unless you really want to see The War Rooms and The British Museum again I would see something new.

I am constantly amazed with how much you Americans can fit in complete with the jet lag, the V&A would take a whole day of my time on its own, as would the British Museum.

for routes I would suggest the TFL website, just google it, it gives you the option of walking or using public transport.

Archived