For all you Epic Wine Drinkers - MUST READ

AnnArbor_707

I just got off the phone w/ NCL and have confirmed that they do NOT allow gallon jugs of Carlo Rossi on board, no matter what you are willing to pay as a corkage fee. A supervisor joined the conversation, but would neither confirm or deny that NCL hates Carlo Rossi.

Turns out you CAN bring the 1.5L bottle on board though, so that's good news!

Anyway, I knew this was a question that most wine drinkers would have so I thought I would start my own thread on the matter.

http://www.carlorossi.com/the-wines/reds/Burgundy.html

I will be requesting this 1993 classic at whatever specialty restaurant is lucky enough to have me unscrew the cap at....

There is a wine list of what you can have delivered to your cabin and it is pretty extensive and I would recommend doing that PRIOR to your trip for additional wine. Once you get there - the room service and bar wines are limited. Better in the restaurants, but do order before if you want decent bottles.

There is a wine list of what you can have delivered to your cabin and it is pretty extensive and I would recommend doing that PRIOR to your trip for additional wine. Once you get there - the room service and bar wines are limited. Better in the restaurants, but do order before if you want decent bottles.

Hey NYAustinGal - Thanks for the tip! So if I just want the cheapest wine possible would you recommend waiting until I board ? Thanks in advance...

Hey NYAustinGal - Thanks for the tip! So if I just want the cheapest wine possible would you recommend waiting until I board ? Thanks in advance...

Yes, I think there were 4 reds and 4 whites, but room service won't deliver until 8 pm the first night and I wanted something to sit on my balcony with. So, I went to one of the bars and bought a bottle - took it and a few glasses to the cabin ... go up to the Garden Cafe, get some of their yummy fresh-baked bread, cheese and fruit and enjoy!

NYAustin Gal -- thanks for the info, I definitely want a couple of nicer bottles so I will pre order them.

Do you know anything about the wine package? It's been posted around that you save 20% if you order 6 - 8 bottles. However, the wine list in the Bon Voyage section doesn't say anything about this. Can you get the package when preordering, or is it only available once you board with the more limited selection?

Yes, I think there were 4 reds and 4 whites, but room service won't deliver until 8 pm the first night and I wanted something to sit on my balcony with. So, I went to one of the bars and bought a bottle - took it and a few glasses to the cabin ... go up to the Garden Cafe, get some of their yummy fresh-baked bread, cheese and fruit and enjoy!

Oh wow, there is a place you can get free cheese and fruit any time of the day ? I might have to bring 2 jugs of the Rossi..... one to impress people at a specialty restaurant and another for a classy wine and cheese night. Can't wait to unscrew a jug, wing it over my shoulder and pour it down the gullet!

NYAustin Gal -- thanks for the info, I definitely want a couple of nicer bottles so I will pre order them.

Do you know anything about the wine package? It's been posted around that you save 20% if you order 6 - 8 bottles. However, the wine list in the Bon Voyage section doesn't say anything about this. Can you get the package when preordering, or is it only available once you board with the more limited selection?

I had heard about the wine savings here on the board, but never saw it on the ship ... but here's the current pre-order list .... http://www.ncl.com/csimages/907/558/NCLWinelist09.pdf

Oh wow, there is a place you can get free cheese and fruit any time of the day ? I might have to bring 2 jugs of the Rossi..... one to impress people at a specialty restaurant and another for a classy wine and cheese night. Can't wait to unscrew a jug, wing it over my shoulder and pour it down the gullet!

Garden Cafe ... big chunks of cheese, fresh fruit and absolutely awesome fresh baked bread ... add the wine and that's heaven.

Where do you send the order form to? or better yet, is there a telephone number to call it in....I really don't like to send Credit card information. I'd rather speak with someone.

I had heard about the wine savings here on the board, but never saw it on the ship ... but here's the current pre-order list .... http://www.ncl.com/csimages/907/558/NCLWinelist09.pdf

NYAustinGal - Thanks for posting the wine list! Did you notice what the typical per glass price was? I've heard that NCL is more expensive with its drinks than RCL for example. ...Anyone else....what's this business about a corkage fee? I was under the impression you couldn't take ANY wine on board period and that NCL is pretty savvy at finding the smuggled wine in luggage...R U Saying that there is the option of taking your own wine on board if you pay a corkage fee?

Where do you send the order form to? or better yet, is there a telephone number to call it in....I really don't like to send Credit card information. I'd rather speak with someone.

I saw that as well....no mention of where to fax/call/e-mail the order form. Seems odd :confused:

How do you even pack a gallon jug of wine??? I don't know what's worse- that it's a gallon or it's Carlo Rossi. This is probably one of the funnier threads I have opened lately....

You pack it in the cardboard box from the last box o'wine you took on the last cruise. Duh.

;)

J/K

Why is this a MUST READ?

Confused.

Wine prices and policy is posted here and on main NCL board every few days. But, I must admit, nobody has mentioned bring a gallon jug.

I think the whole thread was tongue-in-cheek.

If wine corkage is $15, why not bring a Melchizedek (40L) ??? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle

Not sure why anyone would want to pay a $30+ corkage fee on a $5 jug of ripple anyway. :)

I don't know what "ripple" is, but Carlo Rossi is delicious... that's why I'd pay $35. :)

Did you listen to the song ? "Top of the line wine, carlo rossi"... gotta be true!

Also, If you were to buy the 2 cheapest bottles on the ship you'd be $60 deep.... almost half price to swill the Rossi

Why is this a MUST READ?

Confused.

Wine prices and policy is posted here and on main NCL board every few days. But, I must admit, nobody has mentioned bring a gallon jug.

If you don't get it, you might not ever...

Just let it go :)

If you don't get it, you might not ever...

Just let it go :)

"i have recently discovered the carlo rossi and its ability to make a room of people drunk for under $20. it's a beautiful thing."

from; http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2229745819

Another line: "Guaranteed to be on sale at a local drug store ie Longs or safeway near you "

• 2 weeks later...

Archived