Need help in Barcelona

islandmandan

Three of us arrive in Barcelona at 7:30a.m. (the morning of our cruise) and are not able to check-in until 1:00 p.m. and our ship doesn't sail until 7:00 p.m.

We purchased transfers from Princess and were told the earliest transfer would be at 9:30 . The problem is we have to stay with our luggage until we are checked in (from 9:30 - 1:00 ). Should we cancel the transfers and hire a cab to take us on a tour for 4 hours ? Will he have room in the cab for 3 large suitcases and 3 duffel bags ? Also, how much do you think a cab driver would charge us ?

You might want to price out a private tour. We did taxis everywhere but the drivers english was poor, but the taxis were easy and convenient.

Most taxis we saw were the smaller european type seats 4 with limited luggage. There were a few van taxis but not as many as I've seen in the US.

Pitty you don't have more time in port, but assuming you are out of the airport you can still likely hit 3 major places and depending on what you do at each maybe squeeze in another sight.

My two favorites were:

La Sagrada

La Pedrera

Las Ramblas didn't seem to come alive till later in the afternoon, maybe to late, but again its only a short drive from there to port.

Enjoy,

Three of us arrive in Barcelona at 7:30a.m. (the morning of our cruise) and are not able to check-in until 1:00 p.m. and our ship doesn't sail until 7:00 p.m.

We purchased transfers from Princess and were told the earliest transfer would be at 9:30 . The problem is we have to stay with our luggage until we are checked in (from 9:30 - 1:00 ). Should we cancel the transfers and hire a cab to take us on a tour for 4 hours ? Will he have room in the cab for 3 large suitcases and 3 duffel bags ? Also, how much do you think a cab driver would charge us ?

They might do not start check-in before 13.00 hrs but mostly baggage is already accepted from around 10.00/10.30 hrs and you can drop-off and return to the city.

if you are three: check your price and then *3... if this price for the transfer exceed the converted value of 40 EUR (varies to time and day of travel and number of bags) you better should cancel and arrange a taxi.

A SEAT Alhambra Van-Taxi would be perfect for you and your bags:

2009NVOTS10106-vi.jpg

No problem to find them at the airport.

Another option if arrive at Terminal 2 and can carry your bags without problem:

Take the train to Barcelona Sants.

There are lockers.

From there there are Ho-Ho-Buses and metro to get you quickly to the sights in the city.

Once you return: from here a taxi to the port would be around 12-15 EUR (depending to time and date of travel and number of bags).

Regards

HeinBloed

I would certainly post on the board for Princess and ask former passengers of your ship what they experienced with respect to baggage drop off time and boarding time. I'd be very surprised if you can't drop your bags off with the baggage staff much earlier in the morning than 1:00pm. But I have not sailed your cruise line, so I don't know for sure.

If you want to tour, contact Barcelona Day Tours. They will meet you at the airport and the driver/guide stays with the van and your luggage while you get out to sightsee at various places (Sagrada Familia, etc.) Our driver/guide spoke English very well so that was not a problem.

The only problems I do envision is that you may be very jet-lagged, or you scheduled will be thrown off if the plane is delayed.

You may touchdown @ BCN @ 7:30am but until plane is at the gate, baggage is unloaded & you clear customs & immigration could be 8:30am. If it is just an hour you could have a coffee @ the airport and then meet the Princess rep for the transfer. Also remember that just because you are on the bus @ 9:30am doesn't mean the bus will leave the airport-they have to fill up the bus-so you might be sitting on the bus for some time. My advice hire a pvt car svc and arrange a tour that ends at the ship.

Have a great time

Carole

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Since 9/11 it's Princess's policy not to hold luggage, so our luggage is our responsibility until check-in (so we were told by a Princess rep). We are still undecided whether to use the ship's transfers and just arrive at the boat early or cancel the transfers and hire a cab when we arrive. Thanks again

Just keep in mind that Barcelona while a wonderful city has a lot of theft. So, when you talk about having the cab hold your items, what about jewelry and valuables.And if you start touring with it, you really run the risk of someone stealing something including a passport.

Remember. You wil be jet lagged. You will be tired. You will be a little wound up.

I would really think this through.

If it was me I would not tour but would wait to check in.

I am sure that the check in will be much earlier than 1:00 PM. Others will be arriving early as well.

Keith

2 times, this year and last, we left the bags at the hotel after debarking the plane last year about 10 a.m. also, taxis charge for every piece of luggage everyone has. We had a taxi (minivan)tour this June, for 6 peep..he took us on a 4 hr.town tour an the van..with the luggage..we had a pre determined price, and we were all dropped off at our respective hotels. I have contacted someone for the name of the company..the price was about 33E's, each, I think. For those going to the ship ..do not order a pickup cab befor 11 a.m., as you will encounter delivery trucks. and that eats up your meter. The good news...they HAVE to be off the streets at 11 a.m. Our small hotel this June kept our bags til chk in. We arrived off a 13 day TA, and then back for 3 more days after a Med cruise. For a tiny hotel, they were verrry accommodating. They even stowed some bags while we were on the second cruise. The driver stays with the vehicle, and all things are safe. If you fell better about your $, and pricey things, carry them with you while you walk around. We stopped at a huge square, a supermercado, Parc Guell, Segrada. The driver, of course ran into many friends of his, doing the same thing. Their livlihood is very important to them, and they play by the rules

Personally, I'd come in a minimum of one day early for a pre-cruise stay to catch up on jetlag and have a chance to see the city. But if you can't do that I'd recommend one of two options.

I would do one of two things:

1. Hire a private tour company to pick you up at the airport and take you on a tour that ends at the cruise dock early to mid afternoon. Just make sure they understand the # of people and luggage.

2. Take a cab directly to the cruise port. It will likely cost less than the Princess transfer anyways. I'd wait until I could check in the luggage and and check-in then take a cab back into town and wonder around Ramblas and Gothic Quarter for a while, have lunch at a Tapas Bar and head back to ship no later than 3PM or so. It might be earlier than you think. I know for Celebrity you could probably be all checked in by 11 or 11:30 - don't know about Princess. On most lines the check-in starts well before the published check-in time and customer service will not provide this info.

For either option be very sure of the latest time you must be at port to check in and latest of when to be back to the ship and leave pleanty of leeway. Get this info direct from princess and confirm with the Princess board on Cruise Critic. You can not get there 1/2 hour before scheduled departure time and still expect to board - you'd probably miss your cruise.

Archived