Alaska in early June with a 2yo?

CCH828

Our DD will be ~2 weeks shy of 2 years old if we book a cruise to Alaska. (Carnival Spirit) It leaves on May 31st for 7 days.

I know DH and I can handle the cold, but what about a toddler? (days at sea, plus excursions?) Is it nuts to bring her at this time of year? We are traveling with two sets of grandparents, and these dates work out well, plus it's cheaper than mid summer. But if it is way too cold for a little one, someone please let me know. Thanks!

Its only cold if you don't dress them warm enough.

June is right as things start getting "alaskan" warm. IE I'd expect be prepared for 40's-low 60's best case and lots of overcast and possibly windy/wet during the scenic cruising and in port. As long as they have couple of layers, gloves, hat and stay dry shouldn't be more at risk then the old folks. I've taken my kids skiing / sledding when they were almost that young. Keep them dry and warm is the only thing. Little bodies can loose heat much faster then us big people :D

Our DD will be ~2 weeks shy of 2 years old if we book a cruise to Alaska. (Carnival Spirit) It leaves on May 31st for 7 days.

I know DH and I can handle the cold, but what about a toddler? (days at sea, plus excursions?) Is it nuts to bring her at this time of year? We are traveling with two sets of grandparents, and these dates work out well, plus it's cheaper than mid summer. But if it is way too cold for a little one, someone please let me know. Thanks!

Oh, good! Well, I am encouraged. :D We've been living in Texas and Tennessee for the last couple of years, and lately the heat index has been around 110*...so we don't have much experience with a little one and cold weather. I am imagining a diaper change on a wiggly 2yo out in the Alaskan cold while hiking...yikes. :)

Now if I can only get her to keep hats and sunglasses ON...but that's another forum, LOL

We went on our first Alaska cruise with our 15 month old son eight years ago in late May, so it’s more or less your time frame. As others have said, dress in layers. At the ports, especially in Ketchikan, rain is high possibility. So have rain gear ready. We bought him a yellow/blue rain jacket from Costco that doubled as a regular coat when it wasn’t raining.

Chances are the coldest part of the cruise will be the day you are cruising by the glacier. You can bundle her up and take her outside for a short period to do some Kodak moment shots and bring her back when it becomes too cold.

When the ship is sailing between ports, it can be cold and windy, but I assume you will most likely keep her inside the ship during such time. We didn’t do any fancy excursions other than city tours, but if you want o do something more outdoors, like whale watching or dog sled in the snow, then you need to dress appropriately for those activities.

Archived