Binoculars with Digital Camera?

Lovincruisin1321

Most of these feature poor quality compact binoculars paired with a suboptimal digital camera. Personally would avoid these

That was my opinion of what I saw a few years ago. Try going to a camera store to see if they even sell them, if so, ask for a demo. Or perhaps you can find a pair at a store where you can return them after trying them (BEFORE your trip.) But don't buy a pair that can't be returned.

I agree - avoid the combo pack, as neither the camera nor the binoculars are the best.

I chose a pair as my 20-year anniversary gift at my company last summer, specifically thinking of Alaska. They're Bushnell, so I was expecting something good. Turns out the binocs are "Ok". The camera is misaligned, has poor resolution, and is very slow (*SECONDS* between pressing the shutter and getting a picture). Other than that, it's "ok" :rolleyes:.

As an example, I was trying this out at my son's baseball games shortly after receiving it. Got some blurry pictures of the treetops when I was trying to get long-distance shots of home plate.

Get a good set of binoculars (I like the Zen-Ray VISTAs I got for Xmas 2009) for when you want to watch, and a good digital camera with zoom & stabilization for when you want to photograph. Enjoy both!

Binoculars are great, the combo ones are mostly junk. Ones that would be good would cost a bunch. I know that is not what you want to hear, but for best long term viewing binoculars, look and enjoy. If you need a picture a good DSLR with 300mm+ lense or a superzoom P&S will yield far better results then the combo you see for sale.

Has anyone used binoculars with a digital camera? I want to capture a picture of what I see but binoculars are much better for viewing than a lens camera.

Any advice? Comments?

This is for cruising Alaska.

Like everyone said, don't get the combo one. We tried a pair a couple of years ago. The binoculars can never get a good focus. The camera is very slow. After pressing the button, the picture we got was no longer what we intended to shoot. The image is also very grainy at the best. Instead, DH went with a modestly priced Canon 300mm telephoto lens and a Zen-Ray Summit binoculars. They are much better than the camera/binoculars combo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived