Wine Selection & Stemware

quivet c

I know that house wine is included with dinner and lunch but outside of that I was wondering what the wine prices and selection is like on Azamara?

Also what type of wine glasses do they use? I know Oceania uses good sized Stölzle in the MDR and at the bars and Riedel in specialty restaurants does Azamara use similar? I think nice wine glasses (that allow you to smell and swirl the wine) are very important to the wine drinking experience and I am expecting that Azamara has nice glasses in the MDR and at the bars, is this the case?

It's pretty much the same with regards to the stemware. We were pleased as we use Riedel at home and it makes a difference (not a snob). Every night there were 2 red and 2 white wines listed at 50% discount running around $20 or less in addition to the free wines. The regular wine list was very good but a little pricey. Many better California and French wines were available but we were generally pleased with the free offerings. I will tell you that the inclusive nature of Azamara really left me quite pleased. Our on board account was around $300 which is a first for us on a 10 day cruise. This included 4 specialty restaurant dinners with one being a special wine pairing. We did all of our own excursions. We were very impressed with Azamara.

Another small question that I've been curious about, but too afraid to ask. We still don't have an answer though. Do they use Riedel (or equivalent)? And yes, it does make a difference! I really get ticked off in an up scale restaurant, where I know I'm being ripped off with an overpriced $50-60-70 bottle of wine, that is then served in the standard, restaurant dishwasher proof, clunky, lipped, heavy blob of glass. :mad: Anyway, plans call for carrying a couple of Riedel O series for in cabin use, if only for the scotch.

They used Riedel and Spiegelau last time I was on.

I have been using Riedel for many years and agree that it improves the experience, however, I am comfortable enough to drink my wine out of the bottle with a straw if I have to. :p ;)

They used Riedel and Spiegelau last time I was on.

I have been using Riedel for many years and agree that it improves the experience, however, I am comfortable enough to drink my wine out of the bottle with a straw if I have to. :p ;)

Love your answer!

We should have a special cruise for those of us that love our wine without pretensions!!!

We should call it the "Not Such Connoisseurs of Wine Cruise"

STRAWS ALL AROUND!!!

BTW - Does anyone ever take a "camelback" with you when you travel? You can put your favourite cocktail or just water in it - it looks like a backback and has a long drinking tube.....I got mine for Costa Rica when I go ziplining. I freeze the water in "bladder" and pop it in to the pack and then I stay cool and hydrated all day. Amazing invention. I LOVE it!!

Cindi, The bladder idea sounds good. It'd feel good to have some ice in your pack.

Do the little fridges on the ship have freezers? We generally carry a little insulated folding cooler and freeze a water bottle to keep things cold.

Now, back to the stem ware. Yes, I appreciate fine stem ware and it does enhance the drinking experience but as Robert mentioned, a jelly glass is quite nice too.;)

Cindi, The bladder idea sounds good. It'd feel good to have some ice in your pack.

Do the little fridges on the ship have freezers? We generally carry a little insulated folding cooler and freeze a water bottle to keep things cold.

Now, back to the stem ware. Yes, I appreciate fine stem ware and it does enhance the drinking experience but as Robert mentioned, a jelly glass is quite nice too.;)

I don't recall if there was a freezer on AZ.......I usually just ask the "butler" to freeze it for me! ;)

Unfortunately, there are no freezers in the refrigerators in the common Veranda rooms, oceanview rooms or inside cabins. :eek::eek:

However, your cabin attendants will be more than happy to fill your ice bucket or bring in a champagne bucket filled with ice. I know they did it for me when I wanted my Boone's farm well chilled so I could enjoy it whilst listening to the calming musical rendition of inagada davida baby by iron butterfly:D OOPs my Bad wrong decade

:cool:

I'm smiling and really enjoying the light hearted bantering going on here.

I do always get the ice bucket filled but hadn't thought to ask to freeze a water bottle or blue ice paks. Good idea! (oh great, now i have in a goda davida going through my head for the rest of the day):D

Smiles,

Nancy

Good is always better than plonk, and life is too short to waste on bad wine. That said, I have a lovely cellar in my basement, and have learned that it is just as easy to spill a glass from a $100 bottle as it is from a $5 bottle. My life lesson has been that wine is wonderful with food, but should not induce heartburn. Heartburn can come from drinking turpentine quality wine (excuse me, to all of the Greeks out there who love your retsina, yes it is interesting, but not my cup of tea) just as easily as it can be induced from sipping on a very tasty, $100/glass, where it is the price rather than the quality that induces chest pains. Wine should be enjoyed. If you like a straw, well, again, not my cup of tea, but l'chaim! I would strongly recommend the Riedel rather than the straw if you are drinking champagne.

Seriously, it is nice to know that they are using decent glassware, just as I would for a guest in my home. Oh, Cindi, re: the mini refrigerators in Veranda. Are they large enough to hold an upright bottle of champagne? I'm packing several mini-bottles, but am transiting through Paris on my way into Rome, and was thinking of picking up a few full sized bottles, if they can be stored properly once opened. (Yes, I'm bringing a champagne stopper with me). Thanx in advance.

David

Good is always better than plonk, and life is too short to waste on bad wine. That said, I have a lovely cellar in my basement, and have learned that it is just as easy to spill a glass from a $100 bottle as it is from a $5 bottle. My life lesson has been that wine is wonderful with food, but should not induce heartburn. Heartburn can come from drinking turpentine quality wine (excuse me, to all of the Greeks out there who love your retsina, yes it is interesting, but not my cup of tea) just as easily as it can be induced from sipping on a very tasty, $100/glass, where it is the price rather than the quality that induces chest pains. Wine should be enjoyed. If you like a straw, well, again, not my cup of tea, but l'chaim! I would strongly recommend the Riedel rather than the straw if you are drinking champagne.

Seriously, it is nice to know that they are using decent glassware, just as I would for a guest in my home. Oh, Cindi, re: the mini refrigerators in Veranda. Are they large enough to hold an upright bottle of champagne? I'm packing several mini-bottles, but am transiting through Paris on my way into Rome, and was thinking of picking up a few full sized bottles, if they can be stored properly once opened. (Yes, I'm bringing a champagne stopper with me). Thanx in advance.

David

I do love my wine but I have found bottles of excellent wine at between 10 and 15 dollars. I have also found 50 - 100 bottles that are not to my liking. I love a good wine and if it's reasonable what a bonus!

With regards to the fridge in the Veranda rooms....I have never been in one. I had the Sky suite and there was enough room once they emptied the pay bar...which I always request. I dont drink soda and enjoy only the very occasional beer when it's boiling hot out. I still will request the fridge be emptied so I can shove some goodies in there...like the truffles from the bed (and everyone elses if I can sneak into the rooms while the staff turndown others LOL :D )

BTW I have found a lovely sparkling White (like champagne) from Hungary that is amazing .... $19 and is excellent for sangria and mimosas! L'Chiam right back atcha!

Oh, Cindi, re: the mini refrigerators in Veranda. Are they large enough to hold an upright bottle of champagne? I'm packing several mini-bottles, but am transiting through Paris on my way into Rome, and was thinking of picking up a few full sized bottles, if they can be stored properly once opened. (Yes, I'm bringing a champagne stopper with me). Thanx in advance.

David

A short answer for you, I do not think so. The frig's are small upright rectangles and barely hold the free soda, water etc. I do not think they are tall enough for a full bottle of bubbly. But, if you contact AZ customer service you may be lucky enough to get an answer:rolleyes:

Cindi - your $19 find is one of the great reasons to be travelling. I'm with you 100% regarding prices. Have you tried Gloria Ferrer (California) sparkling Blanc de Noirs? It runs about $15. here in the States. Absolutely wonderful stuff, wonderful flavor, beautiful off pink color, and, trust me, won't induce heartburn.

L'chaim

Champagne stoppers: every wine store carries them: they are hinged, springed devices. You place the cap on top of the bottle opening, push down, and press the 2 flanges against the lip of the bottle and lock. The bubbly stays bubbly for 3-4 days. If you love your bubbles, you should invest. OBTW: 2nd recommendation: Cristallino Spanish Cava. Runs about $6 a bottle (yes, it is damned good, too!). Bubbles without a shred of guilt. It isn't champagne, but it isn't anywhere near Boone's Farm either. Lovely dry white wine with a spicy edge. We've poached sole in it and converted it into a cream sauce, the rose is amazing with grilled salmon, it's just a great. great wine. Dom it ain't, but it is light years ahead of New York Shampaine. Give it a try. It's brewed in huge quantities, so save the really good stuff for a really good time, and kick off your shoes, and enjoy! Again, I am a snobby mayvin, with 5 different Riedels in the cabinate (let's not discuss the Waterford), and my personal cellar. We have spilled the Lafite in the past, and I love my Cristallino, any color.

A votre sante!

Well, I'm probably going to shock all of you connoisseurs..

but the absolute best champagne we have ever tasted and this includes France was in Cappadocia, Turkey after our balloon ride sailing across the valleys viewing the fairy chimneys at 7am in the morning.

It was from Turkey (so I know technically it can't be called Champagne)

It was absolutely, phenomenal.

If we didn't have a full day of hiking ahead of us and had already had breakfast we would have snagged the entire bottle!

Archived