Will I need to go through customs & immigration?

martinimadam

Going round trip from Vancouver (inland passage), then staying on board for the next leg to San Diego. Will I have to go through customs and immigration in Vancouver? I should know this, but I don't! I'm a US citizen. If I don't get off the ship in Vancouver would that make a difference?

Thanks.

If you leave the United States, you (and your luggage) have to go through customs in order to re-enter the United States, at whatever your first point of entry is. So if your trip is Vancouver to Alaska and back, you would go through customs when you arrive in Vancouver (Customs entry into Canada), when you arrive in Alaska (customs entry into US) and when you get back to Vancouver (customs entry back into Canada) and then when you get to San Diego (customs entry back into US from Canada). Fortunately, going through customs is pretty painless if you are a U.S. citizen and on a cruise ship. It's much easier than if you come in from an airport.

We did this same routine a couple years ago and had a problem. The concierge said no problem getting off in Vancouver to walk around the city and that we would only need our ship ID. Wrong-US ICE required our passports to reboard the ship. Compromise was they kept my wife there while I was allowed to board the ship, retrieve our passports and go back down to be processed.

Gary

We did this same routine a couple years ago and had a problem. The concierge said no problem getting off in Vancouver to walk around the city and that we would only need our ship ID. Wrong-US ICE required our passports to reboard the ship. Compromise was they kept my wife there while I was allowed to board the ship, retrieve our passports and go back down to be processed.

Gary

Thanks for the heads-up. We're doing the last Zuiderdam and staying on to San Francisco. We do intend to get off on the return stop in Vancouver and do some sightseeing.

It had to be passports, not just photo ID, like a driver license?

If you leave the United States, you (and your luggage) have to go through customs in order to re-enter the United States, at whatever your first point of entry is. So if your trip is Vancouver to Alaska and back, you would go through customs when you arrive in Vancouver (Customs entry into Canada), when you arrive in Alaska (customs entry into US) and when you get back to Vancouver (customs entry back into Canada) and then when you get to San Diego (customs entry back into US from Canada). Fortunately, going through customs is pretty painless if you are a U.S. citizen and on a cruise ship. It's much easier than if you come in from an airport.

I'm pretty sure most of this is Immigration. Customs isn't an issue on port stops because your luggage stays on the ship while you're in transit. Customs gets involved when you disembark and re-enter the country with your purchases.

Going round trip from Vancouver (inland passage), then staying on board for the next leg to San Diego. Will I have to go through customs and immigration in Vancouver? I should know this, but I don't! I'm a US citizen. If I don't get off the ship in Vancouver would that make a difference?

Thanks.

Yes, we have to get off the ship and zero out the ship for Customs and Immigration both in the US and Canada.

You will get a letter (at least 1 day before getting back to Vancouver) telling you what to do and where to meet the morning of turn around.

All who are staying for another week will meet at the designated spot and time, with paperwork (Passports and Stateroom Key Card) and get off the ship as a group. You will then have to wait until all the passengers who are disembarking get off and the crew and Customs makes sure the ship is empty of passengers.

Once they have made sure the ship is zeroed out, you will be allowed back on to go where ever you wanna go on the ship.

Took us about 45 minutes. And the only reason it took that long was one couple were waiting in their stateroom for "THE PORTERS" to come and get their luggage:(

Joanie

Yes, we have to get off the ship and zero out the ship for Customs and Immigration both in the US and Canada.

You will get a letter (at least 1 day before getting back to Vancouver) telling you what to do and where to meet the morning of turn around.

All who are staying for another week will meet at the designated spot and time, with paperwork (Passports and Stateroom Key Card) and get off the ship as a group. You will then have to wait until all the passengers who are disembarking get off and the crew and Customs makes sure the ship is empty of passengers.

Once they have made sure the ship is zeroed out, you will be allowed back on to go where ever you wanna go on the ship.

Took us about 45 minutes. And the only reason it took that long was one couple were waiting in their stateroom for "THE PORTERS" to come and get their luggage:(

Joanie

How early does this happen? Do you have to stay there with the group until everyone shows up, or can you take off for a day in port?

The couple waiting for "the porters" must have seen too many old movies!

How early does this happen? Do you have to stay there with the group until everyone shows up, or can you take off for a day in port?

The couple waiting for "the porters" must have seen too many old movies!

If you are not planning to go ashore, you wait in a designated area until all debarking passengers are off, then they walk you off, through immigration, and back onto the ship. However, if you want to see Vancouver, you can leave anytime, making sure you get a transit pass (it will probably be in your envelope the night before) so that you can bypass the lines when returning to the ship. EM

If you are not planning to go ashore, you wait in a designated area until all debarking passengers are off, then they walk you off, through immigration, and back onto the ship. However, if you want to see Vancouver, you can leave anytime, making sure you get a transit pass (it will probably be in your envelope the night before) so that you can bypass the lines when returning to the ship. EM

Ooh, letters of transit, just like in Casablanca!!

Thanks for the info! We definitely want to spend the day in Vancouver.

Do not neglect to get your transit pass!!! The lines to board in Vancouver are horrendous! You do not want to be caught in that mess.

I kind of thought this would be the case.

I am wondering, like 3rdGenCunarder, how early in the morning we will have to leave. I was soooo hoping for a lazy, sleeping-in day. Though, with all the cleaning that has to go on to prepare for the next batch of cruisers, I imagine that the noise level would probably prevent that, anyway.

Just thought of some other questions, since this is the first time I'll be staying on board for the next leg of a cruise:

Will the Explorations coffee bar be open the morning we come back to Vancouver? I do so love their lattes and pastries. :)

Are the breakfast hours shortened because of disembarkation, or will the Lido stay open as usual?

Will my bill be closed out and another one started?

Should I plan on giving any extra tips to the staff the night before Vancouver?

Martinimadam, the process sounds similar to what DH and I did on our B2B from Tampa. They took us off the ship at 9:30 a.m. IIRC -- others who had plans on shore had left earlier and done the Customs/Immigration/BP thing on their own.

We ordered room service on our turnaround day, so can't help you with the Lido hours.

If you want to tip specific people, IMHO the night before Vancouver would be a good idea -- you just never seem to know when the staff will be moved around, or when some will leave.

Our account was not closed out.

Archived