molinere point/underwater park?

OC PAT

Can anyone recommend a tour and/or means to get to this park? The champayne tour appears to be the only organized tour. My dh does not like champayne and the cost is a little over our budget. We will be there 12/16 a Thursday. Any advise/ideas are greatly appreciated.

oc pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems no-one wants to comment on this one for you so let me have a go.

There are a number of operators that go to the Underwater Sculpture Park. You can go as you say on the champagne cruise, or you can choose some of the less extravagant catamarans too. You can also go with the scuba operators and finally you can combine it with island ifo if you do a Seafari ecotour.

check http://www.grenadagrenadines.com/island-activities/soft-adventure/boating

for a full listing although not all tell you exactly where they go.

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

FYI - The Champagne and Lobster cruise is more about sailing and lunch than the park or Champagne.

The stop at the park for snorkeling was at most about an hour of a 6 hour tour. Much more time was spent sailing around to the south side of the island and having lunch. There was a glass or two of Champagne at lunch but lots of rum punch and soft drinks offered during the sailing and at lunch as well as a nice white Chilean wine during lunch. The lobster was the highlight though and far exceeded my expectations. Could be the best lobster I've ever had although I might have been a wee bit influenced by the fact that it was on a nice Caribbean beach on a wonderful day.

The statues and snorkeling at Molinere were interesting but not very exceptional as far as snorkeling goes. Also, visibility was not great there unless one was able to dive down 15 feet or so. I got the impression that the snorkeling in the area has deteriorated a bit after past storms and will take a good while to recover.

Photos at: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Caribbean-March-15-2010/Grenada-Shadowfax-Champagne/11693576_3XE3t#825045906_SAEA8

I appreciate your feedback and for limited visability you have some great pictures.

Thank you. I was able to dive down to get some good pictures and views. Viewing from the surface was a bit more clouded. The water there is 15 or 20 ft deep or more.

• 3 months later...

Sad no one responded to this thread.

I was searching the internet for the best place to snorkel.

Moliniere Point sounds perfect.

Then I stumbled upon this thread and thought it would have a slew of info. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately not!

I like to know how to get there - transportation to and from the pier. :(

Guess most cruise passengers stick with whats known - Grand Anse Beach. :rolleyes:

Before discovering the Shadowfax tour last year we'd spent the day at the Aquarium on Magazine Beach. A very pretty beach that is not very crowded and has some OK snorkeling off shore.

Thanks Larry

I read several sites that say Magazine Beach is the place to go if you're interested in snorkeling.

Has excellent coral reefs.

Thanks Larry

I read several sites that say Magazine Beach is the place to go if you're interested in snorkeling.

Has excellent coral reefs.

I'd call the snorkeling there OK not excellent. One issue is that most of the time we've had decent waves when we've been there, but still try the snorkeling - there is decent snorkeling once you get out just a little bit even with some waves that would make you think conditions would be too poor to bother with. Also - the nicest fish we saw there was the fantastic swordfish sandwiches served at the Aquarium open air restuarant right off the beach.

Sad no one responded to this thread.

I was searching the internet for the best place to snorkel.

Moliniere Point sounds perfect.

Then I stumbled upon this thread and thought it would have a slew of info. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately not!

I like to know how to get there - transportation to and from the pier. :(

Guess most cruise passengers stick with whats known - Grand Anse Beach. :rolleyes:

As A regular I tend to get a slapped wrist for recommending stuff. not allowed as a local you see so hence my pointing folks to the board of tourism website. However if you really want to see the statues but don't want to have a full day doing it go to tripadvisor grenada and go to the Things to Do . No1 thing to do Eco-tour is a good all in one tour to do and you see the statues.

Magazine beach is off the Aquarium and has seen some recent wave activity and not much clarity but it is all beginning to settle down again.

Realistically our west coast snorkeling has suffered over time with storms heven the creation of the Underwater statue park. Grande Anse has some snorkeling at the extreme north and south at the rocky outcrops but nothing in the middle.

I usually suggest folks do a tour to snorkel the statues and then go hang on the beach for the rest of their visit.

Hope you get to see them:cool:

Thanks Larry for sharing your photos.

Beach looks heavenly and has fantastic views.

I can see myself relaxing and my DH enjoying a Cold Carib on that beach.

As A regular I tend to get a slapped wrist for recommending stuff. not allowed as a local you see so hence my pointing folks to the board of tourism website. However if you really want to see the statues but don't want to have a full day doing it go to tripadvisor grenada and go to the Things to Do . No1 thing to do Eco-tour is a good all in one tour to do and you see the statues.

Magazine beach is off the Aquarium and has seen some recent wave activity and not much clarity but it is all beginning to settle down again.

Realistically our west coast snorkeling has suffered over time with storms heven the creation of the Underwater statue park. Grande Anse has some snorkeling at the extreme north and south at the rocky outcrops but nothing in the middle.

I usually suggest folks do a tour to snorkel the statues and then go hang on the beach for the rest of their visit.

Hope you get to see them:cool:

Thanks for all your advice.

I prefer to go it alone than being packed in a bus like a sardine with 100 other passengers.

I only book excursions as the last resort. ;)

So I am now deciding on either Magazine Beach or Grand Anse. Both offer snorkeling.

I read about Grand Anse since it seems that's the number one place to go for cruise ship passengers who want to hit a beach.

~

Thank you both, your comments and advice have been very helpful in planning my cruise.

Hey Guys , Just got back from doing an eco tour with seafaris . Found them on trip advisor after a great referral from someone Here . We had the greatest time and did have the same experience at the sculpture park as Lsimon as far as having to go deep .

The boat was a blast , like a Zodiac with coaster type seats . They took us all along the coast and basically told us all we could want to know about Grenada .

So much fun ! Can't recommend them enough ! And thank you so much for the referral , you !lol Ted

• 5 weeks later...

We went with Native Spirit Scuba last month...had a great time. Even though they said that first we would go to Grand Anse to get snorkel gear, most of us had our own so they met us near the pier with enough gear to outfit those who needed it. We had 3 stops, with the first one being Molinere. We were all by ourselves at all 3 stops. Last year, we went to Magazine Beach--beautiful beach, but too rough to snorkel that day, and we're not lay on the beach kind of people.

Hey Camof ,

We went with Seafaris on a 3 hour eco tour . Howard was just the best . We paid $65 US pp . We met Howard and Suzanne ( the owners ) and their 1st mate Albert at the water taxi pier on Grand Anse beach . They are the most delightful people and intent on your having the best time possible . Throughout the tour Albert ( who is a born and raised native ) gives you so much first hand information that you feel like an expert by tours end . Howard is just one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the opportunity to meet . Caution , he likes to ride FAST ! lol The biggest thing I can tell you is don't miss this tour ! Hope this helps ! Ted http://www.grenadaseafaris.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Camof ,

We went with Seafaris on a 3 hour eco tour . Howard was just the best . We paid $65 US pp . We met Howard and Suzanne ( the owners ) and their 1st mate Albert at the water taxi pier on Grand Anse beach . They are the most delightful people and intent on your having the best time possible . Throughout the tour Albert ( who is a born and raised native ) gives you so much first hand information that you feel like an expert by tours end . Howard is just one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the opportunity to meet . Caution , he likes to ride FAST ! lol The biggest thing I can tell you is don't miss this tour ! Hope this helps ! Ted www.grenadaseafaris.com

Hi Ted - glad you had an awesome time!!.. An expert hey...may have to give you a test one day :D

Island Star ,

We did have the best time in Grenada ! Thank you for all your help throughout my search for something to do . Such a great island , so little time .

My friend leaves next week for a month at her house in Carriacou and I'm sooo

jealous ! Airfare is really up but who knows , maybe next year . There is so much to learn about the Grenadines and honestly I forget more than I remember from my day with Albert . I have to come down and take a refresher

tour ! lol Thanks again ! See ya ! Ted

Island Star ,

We did have the best time in Grenada ! Thank you for all your help throughout my search for something to do . Such a great island , so little time .

My friend leaves next week for a month at her house in Carriacou and I'm sooo

jealous ! Airfare is really up but who knows , maybe next year . There is so much to learn about the Grenadines and honestly I forget more than I remember from my day with Albert . I have to come down and take a refresher

tour ! lol Thanks again ! See ya ! Ted

Ted, always a pleasure. You friend has just missed Carnival but I guess she coming for the Marroon festival.

Airfare is always a pest and so to make the most of it you should come for longer...:p...You should come down next year for two weeks (1 on Carriacou a hop and skip from the beautiful Tobago Keys, and 1 on Grenada). If you do come back drop me a line and ask for an insider's hints and tips on where to stay, what to do etc.

The island is missing you already :cool:

Archived