Flying Delta out of Detroit in Feb.

4canucks

Typically the seats go on sale at midnight, eastern time. You'll be transferring through Atlanta, so enjoy that.

One thing about ATL is that getting from one Delta Gate to another is very tricky. If you have a choice between a tight timeframe, and one that's one or two hours longer, take the longer one.

ATL is laid out rather oddly. Go look on-line and you'll see what I mean. If you arrive at Gate 1, Terminal C, and are departing out of Gate 1, Terminal D, you have to walk all the way up the concourse to the transportation terminal, take the escalator down, right the train one stop, take the escalator back up, then schlep ALL the way back down the concourse.

Arriving at Gate 1 and departing out of gate 40, means you'll navigate the breadth of the airport.

You could luck out and arrive at gate 12 and leave out of gate 8, but it's a crap shoot.

Also, gates can change, so if you end up at your gate with lots of time to spare, don't get lost exploring, they might announce a gate change and you could have to sprint through the airport to get to the new gate.

Your chances of getting upgraded at ATL are nil. Everyone there is a Super Platinum, Double Diamond frequent flier. So don't be surprised if when they call for the preboard, nearly the entire waiting area queues up to get on early. They'll also suck up all the overhead bins, and you may end up gate checking your carry on, so for heaven's sake, be sure that a bag that fits under your seat has a change of undies, your make-up and toiletries, etc. Delta also loses luggage fairly regularly.

When packing split stuff up, other wise you'll have one suitcase full of your stuff and the other of your spouse's. If one gets lost, one of you is wearing the same outfit the entire cruise.

Other than that, you should be good!

Looking to fly out of Detroit the day before the cruise of course.

Any tips on when they have seat sales? any frequent Delta flyer insider tips?

Thankx

ME

You don't have to make a connection in ATL. Delta flys direct to MIA, FLL and PBI (West Palm Beach), with the typical average fares being highest for MIA and lowest for PBI. I use Sidestep.com to watch the airfare and have seen in vary up and down by 50% in the same day. Personally I would fly into PBI and rent a car for the day for the 35 minute drive to Fort Lauderdale. You could drop your car off in the morning and get a free Alamo (or other shuttle to the port). Watch out as some car companies charge for a one way drop fee while others do not. On your return I would either use SAS to van transfer back to PBI or again rent a car. There is both a 130 and 330 direct flight back to DTW.

Thankx

ME

As soon as I figure out when I want to cruise (usually March break), I start looking at airfares out of Detroit to Fort Lauderdale...this year another couple are going with us and we didn't get to communicate as much as I had hoped for so I missed flights for under $200 CAD out of Detroit...but I did get them for $238, but not the exact time I was looking for....If I waited until now to get those same times, it would cost me over $500 for each seat...timing in my opinion is everything....you might get a seat sale....you might not

You are so right about timing! We booked Chicago to Detroit and Detroit to FLL for April 2011 in May of 2010 for $113.00 plus tax. it is now way over 160.00. One way. New to Delta but wanted bags free so we tried it. Beat every other air line by a lot a year out!

You are so right about timing! We booked Chicago to Detroit and Detroit to FLL for April 2011 in May of 2010 for $113.00 plus tax. it is now way over 160.00. One way. New to Delta but wanted bags free so we tried it. Beat every other air line by a lot a year out!

You won't get bags free with Delta (only carryon are free)...sorry

Thankx

ME

When in February are you leaving? If early February (like before February 6, 2011) then I suggest you buy your seat ASAP. That is Super Bowl weekend. And even though the Super Bowl is in Dallas, and airplane that even connects to Dallas is going to be full.

Like AlanAllyn mentioned; Delta's schedule will change a few times between now and Feb. I am flying from Cincinnati to Ft. Lauderdale in Jan. I am waiting until September to book a flight; Delta has a major schedule change in September. I have non stops from CVG, so you should be able to fly nonstop out of DTW.

Like AlanAllyn mentioned; Delta's schedule will change a few times between now and Feb. I am flying from Cincinnati to Ft. Lauderdale in Jan. I am waiting until September to book a flight; Delta has a major schedule change in September. I have non stops from CVG, so you should be able to fly nonstop out of DTW.

We're looking to fly Detroit to Tampa in Feb also on Delta as only Delta and Spirit have nonstop flights to Tampa. We can get a nonstop flight there and then on the way home have to change planes in Atlanta for $244. Do you think the fares might be cheaper in September or just that the schedule will be more stable? I was planning on booking the $244 flights today but now I'm wondering.....lol!

(PS - there is a similar question on the cruise air board but it hasn't received any response - this thread is providing much more info)

Archived