London Heathrow to Southampton Port

Oxo

We are going to book IOS for British Isles and we were following a posting on Roll Call (Aug 2010) but lost it as we cannot see it anymore.

Does anyone know or have an idea of the cost to get from London Heathrow airport to Southampton port? There are 4 of us with 8 bags and 4 carry ons. Yes, we do travel light/lite! LOL

We are staying in London at a hotel not supported by RCI so cannot use RCI Transfer unless someone knows where we can get RCI transfer from RCI Hotel to port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'll start you off :

There's the railway : London Waterloo to Southampton takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. Off peak single rail fare is around £32 per adult and £16 for children between 5 - 15 years old.

Then there's a coach service with National Express (London Victoria) takes 2 hours 15 mins for less than £10 pp.

You would need to taxi from from the terminii (?) in Southampton.

PS..... I will be in MI next weekend!!!!

We stayed at a hotel in the Victoria neighborhood pre-cruise in June, and walked to the Victoria Coach Station. I bought our tickets when National Express had a big sale for 2 GBP/pp + 1 GBP for paying with a credit card. I paid 7 GBP total for the coach for 3 people to Southampton, and then ~ 5 GBP for the taxi to the port.

You might be able to purchase cruise line transfers from Victoria station (not sure if it's the coach or rail station) - but that will cost you ~ $49/pp.

**Just reread and noticed you said from Heathrow to Southampton. Is your hotel at Heathrow or in London? If it's at Heathrow, you can take the National Express coach to Southampton, or book a car service for 4 people.

We took a car service called Woodword from Heathrow to Southampton in July. They met us when we got near our luggage and helped with our luggage to the car. The driver was a very fast driver and we made it to our hotel in Southampton in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. We went this route because getting a train was not an option for us due to our physical strengths. The cost was outrageous at about $250.00 plus a small credit card percentage for converting the pounds to dollars. I want to say that it was about 135 pounds plus some other charges that we did not expect.

I hope this helps.

Bob

I'll start you off :

There's the railway : London Waterloo to Southampton takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. Off peak single rail fare is around £32 per adult and £16 for children between 5 - 15 years old.

Then there's a coach service with National Express (London Victoria) takes 2 hours 15 mins for less than £10 pp.

You would need to taxi from from the terminii (?) in Southampton.

PS..... I will be in MI next weekend!!!!

Thank you very much for the info as it was very helpful and productive. We are checking out the National Express (LHR to Southampton Cruise Port) and the fare is very very reasonable when you compare it to Cruise Line Transfers.

What part of MI are you visiting?

We stayed at a hotel in the Victoria neighborhood pre-cruise in June, and walked to the Victoria Coach Station. I bought our tickets when National Express had a big sale for 2 GBP/pp + 1 GBP for paying with a credit card. I paid 7 GBP total for the coach for 3 people to Southampton, and then ~ 5 GBP for the taxi to the port.

You might be able to purchase cruise line transfers from Victoria station (not sure if it's the coach or rail station) - but that will cost you ~ $49/pp.

**Just reread and noticed you said from Heathrow to Southampton. Is your hotel at Heathrow or in London? If it's at Heathrow, you can take the National Express coach to Southampton, or book a car service for 4 people.

Thank you Nancy. Our hotel in is London and right next to the RCI's hotel City Inn Westminster.

We took a car service called Woodword from Heathrow to Southampton in July. They met us when we got near our luggage and helped with our luggage to the car. The driver was a very fast driver and we made it to our hotel in Southampton in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. We went this route because getting a train was not an option for us due to our physical strengths. The cost was outrageous at about $250.00 plus a small credit card percentage for converting the pounds to dollars. I want to say that it was about 135 pounds plus some other charges that we did not expect.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Bob: Thank you for the heads up. I must agree that the price was outrageous.

We are going to book IOS for British Isles and we were following a posting on Roll Call (Aug 2010) but lost it as we cannot see it anymore.

Does anyone know or have an idea of the cost to get from London Heathrow airport to Southampton port? There are 4 of us with 8 bags and 4 carry ons. Yes, we do travel light/lite! LOL

We are staying in London at a hotel not supported by RCI so cannot use RCI Transfer unless someone knows where we can get RCI transfer from RCI Hotel to port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm confused. Are you trying to get from downtown LONDON to Southampton, or from HEATHROW Airport to Southampton? The method you take is somewhat different.

From the LONDON ; 3x/hourly rail service on South West Trains leaves from London's Waterloo Station to Southampton Central. From HEATHROW take the National Express coach (bus)

http://nationalrail.co.uk/ - train

http://nationalexpress.co.uk/ - bus

That being said; there are also car hire agencies. I would visit the Cruise Critic Great Britain board; and do some searching as this question has been asked dozens of times before.

We just returned from the Celebrity Eclipse last month...

Booked our railroad from Southampton Central to London Victoria on Southern Railway for £4.25 per person...over the internet just over 30 days in advance...Required a short taxi ride (£5) from the ship to the Southampton RR station and we took another taxi from Victoria Station to our hotel (the MayFair)...

http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/

Hi,

if you are thinking of getting the National Express coach down to Southampton check the small print as there may be a luggage limit. On some coach lines you can only have 1 suitcase per person.

There is the option of a one-way car hire but again the amount of luggage could cause an issue - you would need to check with the car hire company regarding the capacity of the boot(trunk).

Hope you get sorted and have a good cruise.

Anne

Thank you very much for the info as it was very helpful and productive. We are checking out the National Express (LHR to Southampton Cruise Port) and the fare is very very reasonable when you compare it to Cruise Line Transfers.

What part of MI are you visiting?

Ann Arbor for a wedding. I have family who originated in Southfield and now also live in Farmington Hills and Walled Lake; they summer in Travers City :)

Thank you Nancy. Our hotel in is London and right next to the RCI's hotel City Inn Westminster.

Since you are staying in the city, you do NOT want the National Express coach from HEATHROW to Southampton! You would take the bus from Victoria Coach Station (not far from your hotel), or the train from Victoria Rail Station (as Bruin Steve mentioned) or Waterloo Station (as NorbertsNiece mentioned).

How do you plan to get from Heathrow to your hotel? You can take the National Express coach from LHR to Victoria Coach Station, the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains to Paddington Station and then a taxi, or if you're adventurous - you can take the Tube! :D

I'm confused. Are you trying to get from downtown LONDON to Southampton, or from HEATHROW Airport to Southampton? The method you take is somewhat different.

From the LONDON ; 3x/hourly rail service on South West Trains leaves from London's Waterloo Station to Southampton Central. From HEATHROW take the National Express coach (bus)

http://nationalrail.co.uk/ - train

http://nationalexpress.co.uk/ - bus

That being said; there are also car hire agencies. I would visit the Cruise Critic Great Britain board; and do some searching as this question has been asked dozens of times before.

Both from London and Heathrow to Southampton. We are looking at 2 different cruise lines back to back on different ships, too. Thanks for your input.

Since you are staying in the city, you do NOT want the National Express coach from HEATHROW to Southampton! You would take the bus from Victoria Coach Station (not far from your hotel), or the train from Victoria Rail Station (as Bruin Steve mentioned) or Waterloo Station (as NorbertsNiece mentioned).

How do you plan to get from Heathrow to your hotel? You can take the National Express coach from LHR to Victoria Coach Station, the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains to Paddington Station and then a taxi, or if you're adventurous - you can take the Tube! :D

The tube with that luggage!! Let's hope there's no strike on eh?!

The tube with that luggage!! Let's hope there's no strike on eh?!

We took the Tube from Heathrow twice. The second time we encountered stations with no working escalators! The last time we flew to London, we took Heathrow Connect (half the price of Heathrow Express but twice the time) and then a taxi to our hotel.

We took the Tube from Heathrow twice. The second time we encountered stations with no working escalators! The last time we flew to London, we took Heathrow Connect (half the price of Heathrow Express but twice the time) and then a taxi to our hotel.

I love it that people come in to the UK and I can't wait to get out!

Just to confirm. A taxi from the rank as you step off the ship will cost you about £150 from the dock to Heathrow. There are 7 seater SUVs available. To be fair to the taxi drivers that's a circa 3 hour round trip plus fuel etc so it's not too bad.

If you are coming into Heathrow then it might pay you to pre-arrange a taxi. You pay a fairy hefty price just to get in a black cab (which are waiting on the taxi rank at the airport). The reason for this is to cover the waiting time the taxis have to undertake in the holding area prior to being released into the airport terminals.

I know when we cruised in July the ship based excursion coach to Heathrow was quite pricey to the point where 2 or 3 people were better off getting in a taxi. A bit naughty really - it should be no brainer cost-wise to use the coach.

The taxi driver we got to take us back to Gosport after the cruise in July was moaning that some of the cruise line scare people into thinking there are no taxis at Southampton port when in fact there are plenty.

Hope that helps.

Henry

Archived