Dining question

Tink78

We are a family of three going on our first cruise next year aboard the Independence, we are on the 8:30pm dining and are on a table of 4, whats the chances we will be sat with a stranger ? I really hope it will be the 3 of us.

They will either seat you at a 4-top alone, or at a larger table with another family...you will NOT have just one "stranger" at the table. A large table with many tablemates is fun...once you tell each other your names, you will no longer be "strangers" and it sure makes dinner more enjoyable! The waiters have more fun with a larger table, too! so, if you should have tablemates, do NOT freak out...we find that we look forward to seeing our tablemates every night, so we can share in each other's adventures of the day!

We are a family of three going on our first cruise next year aboard the Independence, we are on the 8:30pm dining and are on a table of 4, whats the chances we will be sat with a stranger ? I really hope it will be the 3 of us.

The three of you don't want to be sat with a stranger - but think of the stranger, they're not going to want to be sat with a group of three!!!

Cruiselines usually put singletons together, eg a table of four or six "strangers" - though they'll not be strangers for long.

As CB's answer, you'll have a table to yourself, or be put on a larger table with several others - mebbe a family, mebbe two or three couples.

Don't dismiss dining with others - they can give you fresh topics & perspectives, trade stories about the day and hopes & plans for tomorrow.

And, again as CB, big tables have fun - if you're a table for three just hope you're not sat next to a big table of folk enjoying themselves.

As a couple, we frequently hook up with tablemates in the bar, theatre, at open-seating buffet meals such as breakfast, even for trips ashore, and have a whale of a time.

If you have a problem with table-mates, folk you just can't get on with, you can ask the maitre D' to move you - I've no idea how that works, I've never needed to.

Whatever the seating arrangements, have a great time

John Bull

I wonder if you need to check with your TA to see what type table you requested (if don't already know). If you cannot get a private table for three, don't depair. My wife and I love to have our intimate dinners (table for two) but have been seated with larger groups and had a great time. Once on the Emerald we were seated at a table for six (late dining) and it turned out to be two other couples from our roll call. We had a wonderful time.;)

Good Luck

On one cruise we were probably the last ones to book the cruise and we ended up with a table for four for the three of us. I'm guessing like the others have said they won't just take a single and place with your group. But you may end up with a large table and several others (which is a great way to meet others on a cruise).

When we were on Amtrak five years ago, a single traveler was usually placed at our table at the meals as there's limited tables. Usually we have found these people well-traveled with great stories to tell.

if you're going on a cruise hoping to have a lot of privacy, i think it'll make it hard for you guys to have fun...

just think of these "strangers" as new friends you'll meet...

because for them, you guys are strangers as well....and remember, everyone paid to be on the ship and have as much right to be on your table...in case you couldn't get a private table for 3...

Do not think like that:confused:.

You are on a cruise. You will meet people.

Possibly you could be seated at a table with most incredibly interesting people you have ever met in your lifetime.

And you are only at dinner for an hour to hour and a half.

I will take a different approach form other posters by saying if you desire to be seated as a family on your vacation, that’s perfectly fine. Don’t feel intimated by other differing opinions if that’s not what you want as every family has their reasons why they want to have special family time together.

When you board the ship on day 1, make your way to the main dining room area to check out what table you have been assigned. If it’s not to your liking (be it number of seats/location next to the kitchen entrance), request for a change. Depending on how full the ship is, you may or may not get your request, but you can at least state your preference.

Nobody can set any odds of you getting table for 4 versus table for 8. It’s somewhat a crap shoot as if they only have 100 tables of 4 seats and 120 families request it, someone will not get their first preference of table for 4 and be combined into larger tables.

One last option may be to look into my time dining on the RCI ship as that way you can request your table size/dining time.

Archived