New meaning to dress code

alwalaska

Bare feet, t-Shirts, cut-offs, tank tops and swim suits are not permitted in any dining venue for dinner other than the outdoor dining venues.

On another thread, Micchi listed a reply to a dress code question that she placed to NCL.

I am 40something and just learned something new this fall when chaperoning at band camp. What do you all interpret as the meaning of "cut-offs" as listed in the above dress code.

Being the out of touch parent I am, I always thought it was jeans or pants that were cut-off and left as ragged edged shorts. It now means those t-shirts where the sides are all cut out.

Although I think both equally fit into this category, I wonder which NCL is intending.

Someone please make me feel better - am I am the only out of touch parent who didn't know that the cut up t-shirts actually had a name?

On another thread, Micchi listed a reply to a dress code question that she placed to NCL.

I am 40something and just learned something new this fall when chaperoning at band camp. What do you all interpret as the meaning of "cut-offs" as listed in the above dress code.

Being the out of touch parent I am, I always thought it was jeans or pants that were cut-off and left as ragged edged shorts. It now means those t-shirts where the sides are all cut out.

Although I think both equally fit into this category, I wonder which NCL is intending.

Someone please make me feel better - am I am the only out of touch parent who didn't know that the cut up t-shirts actually had a name?

Don't worry - I think dress codes of any sort are open to interpretation and therefore common sense is probably the best guide. For example I don't consider "thonged" sandals or single strapped sandals as flip-flops but apparently some people do. To me cheap rubber/plastic sandals that one uses in showers are "flip-flops". Who is correct - darned if I know??? I try to just follow common sense - Freestyle is pretty casual - so to me this means that "most" clothing EXCEPT bathing suits, torn clothes, dirty clothes and short shorts are probably acceptable in the dining rooms. Am I correct? - once again - I don't know for sure but I have never been turned away - we dress pretty casual but would never think of wearing bathing suits, shorts or torn/dirty clothes to the dining room at dinner.

Cut-up t-shirts = "cut-offs" - news to me but probably not acceptable. I think with teens rather than worry about the cruiseline's dress code have your own "dress code" and apply it. (I actually heard one mother who was dealing with a difficult teen dress issue tell a teen - "Fine - wear that if you want but we are not eating in the dining room with you - hope you enjoy the buffet tonight while we enjoy the dining room"). Strictly my opinion - but I thought she handled it pretty well.

i also chaparoned band camps with 2 of my kids but i never heard that about shirts but enjoyed time with kids.:)

I am sure the enforcement of dress code varies ship to ship but I personally witnessed the staff at the buffet on the Sky last week informing guests that shoes and shirts were required for dining. And thanked them for doing so....

As far a the t-shirts are concerned, I saw at the straw market on GSC a booth where the lady was cutting the bottom of the shirt in to strips and knotting the ends. As long as some of the strips were....would not leave much to the imagination. This could possibly be what they are referring to.

Did that include bare feet, tee shirts, swimsuits, cutoffs and cutouts?

Beach Flips Flops, gym shorts and a couple of guys who were t-shirts a little too short and their bellies hung out,:p also ball caps. Very relaxed dress code on the Spirit. Did not notice cutoffs and cutouts.

Beach Flips Flops, gym shorts and a couple of guys who were t-shirts a little too short and their bellies hung out,:p also ball caps. Very relaxed dress code on the Spirit. Did not notice cutoffs and cutouts.

Sigh. My DH is a trucker and a verrry casual dresser. He's also a Big AND tall man with hair down to his shoulders (I think that used to be called a mullet). He's not a regular cruiser but finally expressed some interest in trying it again...so I'm treating him to a super 7 day out of Nola next Spring and taking the leap to book a Penthouse Suite.

Yes, we could eat in our cabin but he's willing to try almost any of the restaurants, being a former professional cook and caterer (and ongoing Foodie). For breakfast and lunch, as long as he's got a well-fitting tee shirt and clean, modest shorts and shoes I won't worry about the ball cap, stringy hair or Zubaz pants...

At night I've told him my personal expectation would be black/nicer jeans or some of his nicer jersey pants (he needs that elastic waist!), hair in a pony tail, NO ball cap and a collared shirt...a clean fresh polo type that he can wear 'out' if he chooses.

Fashion police ;-) shoud realize we're both likely to wear Croc type shoes...for me the awful pitting edema makes that so necessary as almost any other shoes will not fit while we travel. I'm about having a relaxing and enjoyable time, not piddling over the small stuff and realizing there will be a ~wide~ interpretation of was resort casual means...

PS He's still got some of those raggedy, faded cut-off jeans around here somewhere but I'm packing some cargo ones which are longer, closer to knee length...he gave a thumb's up. In the name of decency, neither of our zaftig figures would look remotely attractive in a cut-out top (fair game around the house)

Fashion police ;-) shoud realize we're both likely to wear Croc type shoes...for me the awful pitting edema makes that so necessary as almost any other shoes will not fit while we travel. I'm about having a relaxing and enjoyable time, not piddling over the small stuff and realizing there will be a ~wide~ interpretation of was resort casual means...

I get it, totally. I sailed on the Spirit from NOLA this winter and one day wore my Crocs to the MDR. We had been out touring all day and my mom had to borrow my go-to sandals because her feet swelled up, and my feet were too swollen to get into any other option but my Crocs. I got a serious glare from one FP, but you do keep your eet under the table so what the heck.

i also chaparoned band camps with 2 of my kids but i never heard that about shirts but enjoyed time with kids.:)

I only heard about it because we have theme days. Twin Day, Squad Day (where the entire squad dresses alike), Super Hero Day, etc. One they wanted to do this year was cut-off day. I thought it was the shorts. Duhhh, my son informed me, no, it is the t-shirts.

Learn something new every day. I had seen the shirts but never knew they had a name. It is interesting what you see if you google on cut off shirts. :D

Cut offs = Shorts cut from pants or with frayed edges

Cut outs = Some new funky t-shirt trend. And...if the sides are cut out aren't you a bit exposed?

I guess this is kinda like the pop/soda question. The kids here call them cut-offs, not outs, even though cut-out is a much better name.

Yes, they are very exposed.

I got a serious glare from one FP, but you do keep your eet under the table so what the heck.

I wish they would make a stuck-up NON-FUN cruise line for those kind of people and let the rest of us cruise in peace. I for one, would not glare at anyone if they came in the dining room in shorts, crocs or whatever. What the heck!?! I am on vacation. I have more important things to think about!!! :p

Sorry, what movie was that? Sounds like a good line.

American Pie. (the original...not the sequels. Even the fourth installment, "American Pie: Band Camp" doesn't have that line)

Be warned it is rated R for a reason...lot of sexual conotations and situations. And note... I said that it was one of my favorite MOVIE LINES of all time... not one of my favorite movies.

(and although it was alluded to that we cannot say the entire "one time at band camp" line from near the end of the movie..... the character who said it, says the line in a clean form several times throughout the movie and it becomes a running gag. ("this one time at band camp.......")

We have a first time cruiser with us this time.....and they keep asking me, "are you sure I can't wear jeans in the dining room for supper?"

In the past we have always adhered to NCL's request (a small, quiet little sign in the MDR's on the counter) that asked for no jeans, t-shirts (and whatever else) in the MDR after 5pm.

I'm guessing from reading these posts that they don't request that any longer.

Our guest will only wear neat, clean jeans but will be so happy to find out that they can wear jeans in the MDR if it's all right now.

Anyone?

We have a first time cruiser with us this time.....and they keep asking me, "are you sure I can't wear jeans in the dining room for supper?"

In the past we have always adhered to NCL's request (a small, quiet little sign in the MDR's on the counter) that asked for no jeans, t-shirts (and whatever else) in the MDR after 5pm.

I'm guessing from reading these posts that they don't request that any longer.

Our guest will only wear neat, clean jeans but will be so happy to find out that they can wear jeans in the MDR if it's all right now.

Anyone?

It depends on the ship. I believe the general NCL policy is that at least one dining room on each ship allows nice jeans. On the Sky, the Daily specifically said that jeans were allowed in all locations and nice shorts were allowed in one of the two main dining rooms each night. From what I understand, other ships leave much more up to you to interpret.

Personally, I prefer having it spelled out. I am not going to break the rules, but if it is allowed, we are a casual family and would prefer wearing jeans and/or nice shorts where allowed, even in the main dining room.

Archived