It's just odd somehow...

JeffCoud

The OP started this thread with a somewhat interesting question about why people choose Celebrity if they prefer a casual ambiance. The original question does not assume that those people are dress code violaters! Some are, but many aren't. Personally, I always eat in the MDR and follow the dress code. But I find it interesting to read the perspective of others, many of whom actually avoid the MDR for the whole cruise and (gasp) enjoy themselves! We had an interesting discussion for a while, but now some people have insisted on turning it into the same tired old dress code wars.

I see any number of posts etc from folks who like to be casual and relaxed, don't like to dress up, don't like to go to the main dining room, actually like a buffet for dinner, routinely have dinner in their room even, etc., so why are they choosing Celebrity?

People have a great many different reasons for choosing Celebrity, as you can see from the previous posts. I could make a long list of reasons why we choose Celebrity, but dressing up or down would be at the bottom of my list (or more likely not be on the list at all).

We follow the dress code of whichever cruise line we are on, but never pick any cruise for the style of clothing. There are so many other, more important reasons.

How amusing it is to see a few self-appointed authorities on a message board telling others that they should choose or avoid a certain cruise line based solely on their own personal clothing style preferences.

My impression of what the OP was asking is why would anyone choose Celebrity and pay more for a cruise when there are obviously other options available that would make more sense. People choose to not eat more expensive food provided by the cruise line that they have paid good money for because they do not want to dress up for the MDR. It is not a quantum physics hypothesis, but a simple question. :D

If the ship went strictly smart casual, I would choose another line, frankly. We love the tradition of dressing up and the special ambiance.

And yes, people dressing inappropriately does detract from that ambiance and it's a little disappointing. Believe me- I have seen some people that do indeed stick out like sore thumbs!

I would never say that people who don't like to dress up should not cruise Celebrity- although when friends/family ask me what cruiseline to go on if they do not like to dress up I usually recommend a different line- but I do think that if people aren't going to respect the dress code which the host specifically requests, then they should not be eating in the MDR. There are lots of other options available to them and they can even get the MDR food in their rooms. No need to take the ambiance down for those of us who do care about it.

Why on earth do you care what others are dressed in? If people are not dressed the way YOU would like to have them dressed don't look, just turn your head. Plain and simple. YIKES!

If the ship went strictly smart casual, I would choose another line, frankly. We love the tradition of dressing up and the special ambiance.

And yes, people dressing inappropriately does detract from that ambiance and it's a little disappointing. Believe me- I have seen some people that do indeed stick out like sore thumbs!

I would never say that people who don't like to dress up should not cruise Celebrity- although when friends/family ask me what cruiseline to go on if they do not like to dress up I usually recommend a different line- but I do think that if people aren't going to respect the dress code which the host specifically requests, then they should not be eating in the MDR. There are lots of other options available to them and they can even get the MDR food in their rooms. No need to take the ambiance down for those of us who do care about it.

Just curious - Have you stopped going to upscale land based restaurants where people wore three piece suits and nice dresses a few years ago but now dress more casually? Have you stopped going to resorts where people dressed formally for its dinner and nightly entertainment at one time, but now dress casually? Have you stopped going to the theater and the symphony because people dress more casually in these venues than they did a few years ago?

I see any number of posts etc from folks who like to be casual and relaxed, don't like to dress up, don't like to go to the main dining room, actually like a buffet for dinner, routinely have dinner in their room even, etc., so why are they choosing Celebrity?

Seems like a huge disconnect to me! There are far more casual/accommodating cruise lines out there for this market segment. I guess maybe the cruise ship is somewhat more transportation to travel on a desired sight-seeing itinerary or something? Like I can see a port-intensive euro cruise with little time to kick back and enjoy the usual cruise ship ambience and the ship is more a place to sleep, transport, and eat decent but not exciting meals. Anyhow, I can't imagine picking Celebrity for a low key dress down casual sort of cruise, it doesn't fit that model very well in my opinion. Anyhow, not slamming anyones's tastes, but these threads/posts strike me as being odd quite often.

Jeff

I think the problem starts and should end with Celebrity.

If Celebrity would adopt a strict code of what the expectations are as far as passengers' attire in MDR and then truly ENFORCE the code then we would not have this problem. When you have ambiguity in the rules which is compounded with ambiguity in enforcement then you have the makings of a problem where none should exist.

If Celebrity would rather not have a strict dress code which they are willing to enforce then they should eliminate "suggested attire" guidelines altogether (perhaps only impose "minimum" requirements such as "no holes, no jeans, no shorts) as it appears that trying to please both sides only irritates both sides. In either scenario passengers would know what they could or could not expect.

Please understand that I am not advocating one of these options over the other but simply trying to present a possible solution to this ongoing problem.

Seems like a huge disconnect to me! There are far more casual/accommodating cruise lines out there for this market segment. I guess maybe the cruise ship is somewhat more transportation to travel on a desired sight-seeing itinerary or something? Like I can see a port-intensive euro cruise with little time to kick back and enjoy the usual cruise ship ambience and the ship is more a place to sleep, transport, and eat decent but not exciting meals. Anyhow, I can't imagine picking Celebrity for a low key dress down casual sort of cruise, it doesn't fit that model very well in my opinion. Anyhow, not slamming anyones's tastes, but these threads/posts strike me as being odd quite often.

Jeff

I agree. And I see the reverse as well. People cruising on the casual lines complaining that people don't dress up enough.

As for the Formal thing!!!

and before I comment let me just sya, My wife and i always wear formal wear on the appropriate nights while on a cruise.

Formal nights are old school and dated in our opinion they should be called BLACK TIE. This is a term used more latley to ensure all genrations understand it. Celebrity itself in our opinion has become more Boutique hotel like then anyhting else, they even coin the phrase in the marketing. Rarely do we see formal attire in most 5 plus star dining venues in NYC or Toronto for that matter anymore, yes some places require jacket but they are more stuffy and based on tradition rather then Current design and appeal. Most dining these days allow denim not ripped or anything but dressed up for both mens and laides, you might not like it but thats just the way its going these days! For eveyone that finds Dark demin with a blazer not approporate there is many who find kakhi pants and a floral hawaiin shirt just as awful! Everyone has different expectations and tastes and we really should not judge esp since one of the best parts of cruising is meeting other people from other Countries. As a result many people dress differently, and whats exceptable to some is not to others.

In all reality as long as people do not wear shorts and bathing attire to dinner its really none of our buisness, make the vaction you want and focus on your moments rather then other people. As for not dining in the MDR thats peoples personal choice part of what makes it so special to each individual! Pehaps they like room service on the balcony or a salad on the lawn club watching the sunset???? We love the dining on a cruise but some of the best memories we have had is when we have broken our tradition and had quiet moments on our balcony or met people at a bar and clicked so well we missed our dinning time.

Cheers!

My impression of what the OP was asking is why would anyone choose Celebrity and pay more for a cruise when there are obviously other options available that would make more sense. People choose to not eat more expensive food provided by the cruise line that they have paid good money for because they do not want to dress up for the MDR. It is not a quantum physics hypothesis, but a simple question. :D

On the other hand, there are a number of people who are not getting the financial benefit of the food they paid for in the main dining room because they prefer to dine in the ship's specialty restaurants instead.

Certainly I thought it was a simple question too, lol.... oh well! But fascinating reading of course as always!

Jeff

Just curious - Have you stopped going to upscale land based restaurants where people wore three piece suits and nice dresses a few years ago but now dress more casually? Have you stopped going to resorts where people dressed formally for its dinner and nightly entertainment at one time, but now dress casually? Have you stopped going to the theater and the symphony because people dress more casually in these venues than they did a few years ago?

Nope- although we do always dress up for the opera, symphony, or play. We're in our twenties- don't recall a time when people wore 3 piece suits to restaurants. :D

Cruising is special to us. We love the ambiance and the formality is part of it.

Nope- although we do always dress up for the opera, symphony, or play. We're in our twenties- don't recall a time when people wore 3 piece suits to restaurants. :D

Cruising is special to us. We love the ambiance and the formality is part of it.

Cruising is special to us too, we love the romance of time alone together & the excellent service & quiet atmosphere of celebrity.

When you go to a play, opera, or symphony, do you get as bent out of shape when your fellow attendees don't dress to your satisfaction? Does it ruin your experience?

Be it as it may, people who love formal nights will continue to dress the way they will and those who don't wish to be quite so formal, will dress the way that is formal enough for them. If Celebrity does not prevent them from entering the MDR, then I guess you will have to endure it or choose Cunard or another line that meets your expectations. It really is something you have little control over and it shouldn't bother you so much. If they happen to be in your section, the dining room is big enough that you could move to another area so you would not have to see them. I believe cruising is special to everyone who cruises for all sorts of reasons or they would not be cruising.

When you go to a play, opera, or symphony, do you get as bent out of shape when your fellow attendees don't dress to your satisfaction? Does it ruin your experience?

Be it as it may, people who love formal nights will continue to dress the way they will and those who don't wish to be quite so formal, will dress the way that is formal enough for them. If Celebrity does not prevent them from entering the MDR, then I guess you will have to endure it or choose Cunard or another line that meets your expectations. It really is something you have little control over and it shouldn't bother you so much. If they happen to be in your section, the dining room is big enough that you could move to another area so you would not have to see them. I believe cruising is special to everyone who cruises for all sorts of reasons or they would not be cruising.

Does it bother me at plays or operas? No, but I do think it is disrespectful, both to the performers and to the other attendees. But going to the show doesn't have the romance and elegance of a cruise (not to mention the lights are out most of the time so I don't see anyone else except at intermission!).

*shrugs* I'm glad to know that something "shouldn't" bother me. Thank you for making that value judgment and sparing me from thinking about it myself.

Has anyone ever dined at a restaurant where they were told the dress code was tie and jacket, followed the code but were the only ones doing so? If you went back to that restaurant again would you dress according to the dress code or the way most people in it were dressed (hypothetical question). Right now it appears that the majority of passengers who do not enjoy formal night follow the code anyway, but I have a feeling that if more passengers don't, the dress code will change whether officially or unofficially.

When I first started cruising, I enjoyed the formal nights greatly. I'm a younger passenger and don't get many opportunities to dress up. However, after cruising more now, I prefer to be casual. Not shorts and flip-flops casual, but "country club casual". It's just a bit easier to pack and lower maintenance to not dress up so much. Of course, I always follow the dress-code, but I wouldn't mind if it was smart casual every night.

Interesting to note that many "luxury" cruise lines do not have formal nights...

Jeff

I don't view it as being odd at all ... we all select our vacations following a set of parameters that are important to us as individuals. What one may view as an important aspect of their cruise enjoyment may not even make the list of another passenger .. I believe it all comes down to respect for each other and the rules established by the cruise line we've selected. That doesn't mean we all have to be in formal dress, or always eat in the dining room .. It's a big ship and I applaud the cruise lines for providing passengers with choices that allow each individual to decide how they wish to spend their days on board. We have participated in formal nights and have also taken cruises where we left our formal wear at home .. we have enjoyed all of our cruises ..we have great memories of evenings dressed to the nines and evening dressed in casual attire, dining at the buffet and enjoying the night air staring at the stars .. We've respected our fellow passengers and the established rules ...so I don't see why anyone would find it odd or think we should have selected another cruise line.

I find it comical and a bit annoying when people continue to suggest one should consider a different curise line if they don't wish to bring and wear formal attire. I'm fairly certain the suits at Celebrity created all the options available on board their ships today to provide passengers with choices ... sort of like the famous line from the movie Field of Dreams .. If you build it ... they will come .. Well Celebrity has built bigger ships with more options for passengers enjoyment and as a result they are indeed attracting a broader range of passengers.

I did a transatlantic crossing on the SS France in the 70s because I was studying abroad for a year and it was actually a practical way to get there with a lot of my stuff. (Shipping to Europe was off the charts expensive back then.) There were no "formal" nights that I can remember in the 2nd class dining room, although the food was fantastic.

Wow, what an interesting experience that must have been! Sigh, oh well, have done 2 transatlantic thus far but I'm sure nothing like on the France!

Of course, there was a reason why it was called second class! lol....

Jeff

I think the problem starts and should end with Celebrity.

If Celebrity would adopt a strict code of what the expectations are as far as passengers' attire in MDR and then truly ENFORCE the code then we would not have this problem. When you have ambiguity in the rules which is compounded with ambiguity in enforcement then you have the makings of a problem where none should exist.

If Celebrity would rather not have a strict dress code which they are willing to enforce then they should eliminate "suggested attire" guidelines altogether (perhaps only impose "minimum" requirements such as "no holes, no jeans, no shorts) as it appears that trying to please both sides only irritates both sides. In either scenario passengers would know what they could or could not expect.

Please understand that I am not advocating one of these options over the other but simply trying to present a possible solution to this ongoing problem.

Not at all. :) Celebrity is taking the best approach for their business. Catering to those who prefer a bit upscale line with some guidelines but not alienating those who may like the upscale level in other areas but don't wish to dress up all the time.

For me, I enjoy dressing up. My husband isn't crazy about it but does it (mostly to make me happy let's face it) :) But my cruise is not impacted in the least by someone who does not dress a certain way. Yes if that then cause the cruise line to change their offerings then it might affect the cruise and me but on average, nope. If anything it provides good people watching.

When I first started cruising, I enjoyed the formal nights greatly. I'm a younger passenger and don't get many opportunities to dress up. However, after cruising more now, I prefer to be casual. Not shorts and flip-flops casual, but "country club casual". It's just a bit easier to pack and lower maintenance to not dress up so much. Of course, I always follow the dress-code, but I wouldn't mind if it was smart casual every night.

Interesting to note that many "luxury" cruise lines do not have formal nights...

That's about where I am too exactly, and my country club casual is pretty darn good, although this is not a dress code thread per se. It's a curiosity question thread! lol....

There's a later poster who makes a valid point as well which I hadn't thought of -- these choices and options are built into the cruise product for a reason - to cast the net, as it were. And there will be some features that appeal to me which are not important to others and vv.

Jeff

I guess what I'll never understand is how one piece of clothing is that much more uncomfortable than another, especially for women.

We all know those suit coats are much more uncomfortable than sports coats.;) Those tight jeans are also much more comfortable than any other pants.

We all know those suit coats are much more uncomfortable than sports coats.;) Those tight jeans are also much more comfortable than any other pants.

Try wearing one when it is 85 degrees with 85% humidity and then see what you think.

Archived