It's just odd somehow...

JeffCoud

I appreciate people's responses, honestly I do, but nothing much in the responses was all that notable -- other than the smoking policy which I neglected that -- that IS a pretty big difference with other lines these days in that X is stricter than the norm. And of course in my original post I mentioned I could see a focus on something more port-intensive and hence these other X cruise experiences are less important like fancy dinner at night, etc.

But good service, decent food, decent cabins, etc., these are all things you can find on other lines quite easily enough, they are by no means unique to Celebrity, as well as other amenities like speciality restaurants, various gym/spa things, etc. I really was just curious that's all. I feel like X is indeed known for certain things but those things are not necessarily an attraction to "x" number of X cruisers. X's marketing profile is far more sleak/stylish (or its trying to be, lol) rather than laidback/casual, so I was just curious as to what made people book X over Y. Their advertising exudes adult sophistication, whether or not that is embodied onboard is another story of course, lol. I definitely don't stay awake at night thinking about such things! lol.... And again not slamming anyone's tastes, I know mine are odd as well, lol lol lol, but I was just curious really!

Jeff

There's a medical symposium on board the Med cruise we're taking Sept. 25th. That was why we chose Celebrity :) I honestly had no idea boards like this existed til about a month ago. It never occurred to me to look prior to our Alaska (Princess) cruise last year. I followed the dress code guidelines on their website, and that was it. As an inexperienced cruiser, I knew nothing about reputations of cruise lines. The ads for Princess look no different than the ads for Celebrity, to my untrained eye.

I have no aversion to dressing up for formal night, but I'm going to wear a LBD, not a spangly evening gown. And I'm going to wear the same dress to both formal nights, so I can pack less. For me, the destinations are the ports, not the ship.

I see any number of posts etc from folks who like to be casual and relaxed, don't like to dress up, don't like to go to the main dining room, actually like a buffet for dinner, routinely have dinner in their room even, etc., so why are they choosing Celebrity?

Seems like a huge disconnect to me! There are far more casual/accommodating cruise lines out there for this market segment. I guess maybe the cruise ship is somewhat more transportation to travel on a desired sight-seeing itinerary or something? Like I can see a port-intensive euro cruise with little time to kick back and enjoy the usual cruise ship ambience and the ship is more a place to sleep, transport, and eat decent but not exciting meals. Anyhow, I can't imagine picking Celebrity for a low key dress down casual sort of cruise, it doesn't fit that model very well in my opinion. Anyhow, not slamming anyones's tastes, but these threads/posts strike me as being odd quite often.

Jeff

Agreed, there is a huge disconnect and I think it goes further than just how pax dress and where they choose to have dinner. I suspect it's a matter of those who choose a Celebrity cruise with the ship as their primary destination vs. those who choose a Celebrity cruise because of timing, price and/or itinerary and view the ship simply as a convenient means of transportation and a place to sleep, eat and swim.

My next cruise is on X, my previous cruise was on HAL. I chose both of them becuase the thought of spending a week on a ship that has a climbing wall, caters to people that can't get over their frat days, or has any silly contests in the pool makes me want to stay home.

I travel to relax and get away from everything. If this means I need to pack a LBD (I am NOT bringing an evening gown) for my formal night dinner in Murano's, so be it. I may eat in the MDR one or two nights, but will probably eat on my balcony or snack on sushi most of the time.

Just becuase I don't feel the need to pack a trunk with all my formal pretties doesn't mean that I want the Carnival experience.

that's true...they do seem to have recently ended the dinner buffet I guess? There are some things available up in Lido-land at night like maybe pasta and pizza and a few other things!

Will be on the Summit next week so I can tell you for sure! But they did used to have one at least.

Jeff

I don't think M class ever had a night buffet, there is one on the S class ships, however.

Each line has a niche in its interior decor and look. Visualize the differences in the decor of Holland-America, Carnival, Celebrity, and Princess.*I like them all to some degree, but like the 'look' of the Celebrity ships and it's decor most of all. It's very modern and contemporary, not stuffy, pretentious, Vegas-like, or old-world.

I have also seen Cunard brochures with passengers relaxed in khaki shorts and polo shirts as well as dining in casual wear AND tuxedos. I know Celebrity is supposed to be the upscale brand within RCI, but when did 'upscale' equate to 'formal'. Therein lies the disconnect for those who would like to believe Celebrity is a mini-me version of the 'formal' end of Cunard. People just don't choose Celebrity for it's dress code and pretentiousness. It's reputation for great food, 5-star service, modern upscale beautiful ships, and more restricted smoking policy beat out the misconception of formal dress codes every time.

I'm a first time Celebrity cruiser and I will admit that I didn't know all the "rules" beforehand. I chose Celebrity because it leaves out of Baltimore and a friend of mine recommended it. While there may be things I'd prefer to do differently if I was in charge of the cruise, nothing is a deal breaker for me. I'm not opposed to dressing up for formal night, but I'm not looking forward to doing it on my vacation! But I'll do it. It won't kill me, lol. And I'm kind of looking forward to eating in the dining room every night. That seems very comforting to me....getting to know the waiters and the folks at my table.

We are also first time X cruisers who are sailing based on several friends reccomendations. We have cruised on 3 other lines, really like Princess but needed a cruise leaving the first week of January which Princess didn't offer. We are buffet people, don't like to get dressed up too often but will adjust to what X offers. We are in Aqua Class and are really looking forward to dining in Blu. We will enjoy no matter what.

My next cruise is on X, my previous cruise was on HAL. I chose both of them becuase the thought of spending a week on a ship that has a climbing wall, caters to people that can't get over their frat days, or has any silly contests in the pool makes me want to stay home.

I agree with that 100%! Good point!

Jeff

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses actually. I'm a cruise ship anthropologist I guess!

I don't have strong hang ups about dress code actually, although I always look good, lol... I was more struck reading other topics that there are folks who eat buffet or room service every night, which just struck me as blech, I would never do that! In 25+ cruises I've had maybe 2 dinners in the buffet due to tour reasons. But I like the whole dining room experience, both food and service are the top there, but clearly not everyone puts the same value on that, which is totally ok. People ARE different thankfully!

Jeff

As you might see from our sig line, we have sampled several lines. We are looking at -X- for our next one primarily due to the non smoking policy. We can take or leave the formal nights depending on the mood. If Princess or RCCL had the Celebrity smoking policy, they would probably be the first and second choice.

We really don't care what the other cruisers are wearing and can't help wonder why others would care what we were wearing..

Well, we are first timers on Celebrity.

We started with Carnival (on the Paradise when it was non-smoking)

Second was Carnival Destiny because of the Southern Caribbean route. Third was in-laws 50th wedding anniversary cruise on Royal Caribbean Majesty.

Fourth was MSC Opera because I won an auction.

5th was Princess because of price ($399 for seven days out of San Juan!)

6thwas Alaska on Carnival Spirit

7th was MSC Lirica in the Caribbean because we liked the European aspect of the line from our Opera cruise

8th Caribbean on Carnival Miracle. (because we liked the size of the Spirit

9th was MSC on the Poesia because we liked the European aspect still.

10 is the Solstice in AQ because we don't really want to get on REALLY BIG Ships. And it is our 15th Anniversary. And Celebrity seems like it is a classier line. And we can't afford Azamara, Oceania, or Crystal (yet!)

Give me class over size anytime.

8th Was th

After 25+ cruises, I'm bored with having to sit in the MDR every night for 2 hours. While I enjoy eating, the big meal every night is just not that important to me. Food is not why I cruise. I go to relax and be out on the ocean. I just love cruising.....not eating on a cruise ship. Sure, I appreciate that a cruise line offers good food and it's disappointing if the food is bad, but that's not why I chose Celebrity. In fact, my first X cruise coming up worked for me because of the dates and I got a good deal. I like to try other cruise lines. I'll probably try the MDR and a specialty restaurant, but I won't be there every night. On the Celebrity website, they list a casual dining option and show a sample menu which I understood was the limited evening buffet (on S class ships). People keep posting that there is no eveneing buffet. Are you saying this casual dining option has ended, but they haven't removed it from the website? Below is the sample menu:

Prepared with the same attention-to-detail, casual dining delivers outstanding gourmet flavor in a relaxed environment. The sample menu below gives you a flavor of what to expect:

a p p e t i z e r s

A Selection of Cold Daily Starters from the Buffet

Shrimp Cocktail

s o u p

Chef's Fresh Soup of the Day

s a l a d s

House Salad Bar

e n t r é e s

Margherita Pizza

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Fresh Tomatoes, Oregano and Basil

Quattro Stagioni Pizza

Sausages, Mushrooms, Artichoke and Arugula

Quattro Formaggi Pizza

Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Fontina, Parmesan

Vegetarian Pizza

Variety of Seasonal Vegetables

Penne with Broccoli

Tossed with diced Tomatoes and Red Pepper Flakes,

with a touch of Parmesan and Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled Fillet of Corvina

With Cilantro Pesto

Roasted Half Grain-fed Chicken

Rubbed with Country Herbs and Spiced Mixture,

then slowly spit-roasted

La Parillada

South American Mixed Grill;

Marinated and grilled Beef, Lamb, Pork and Sausages,

Chimichurri Sauce

Well, you just described us, & our next cruise will be a very port intensive E Med, Last year was a two week TA with the first week being very port intensive. We just aren't that into the whole MDR experience. We'd rather have a big salad & soup at the buffet, & spend the evening strolling the deck together... or even just in our cabin together. But everything else about X suits us, we met the most interesting people in the bars & lounges, watched the ball room dancers every night, had wonderful massages, & great food in the specialty restaurants. On port days we really enjoyed the buffet & sunset bar as we sailed away. We tend to be big lunch & breakfast eaters, & very small dinner eaters, probably my favorite thing was the Concierge breakfast on our balcony every morning, we'd get up at 5, get all ready for the port, & enjoy that breakfast as the sun rose each day... it was wonderful, different people just have different tastes.

perfectly stated.

... We are looking at -X- for our next one primarily due to the non smoking policy. We can take or leave the formal nights depending on the mood...

We really don't care what the other cruisers are wearing and can't help wonder why others would care what we were wearing..

Well said! That sums up our views as well. It is all about choices!

We have sailed Princess, NCL RCCL, and Celebrity soon (1st time). We like more casual but we are what I call smart casual. We try really hard not to eat in buffets on land or at sea. BUT we do not like to dress up (heels, sparkly, etc.)

We chose Celebrity this time because out of San Juan, going where we want to go, we had two choices Caribbean Princess or Celebrity Summit. We chose the Summit for a couple reasons, the first was to try something new and we knew on formal nights we had the option of the casual dining (which may be gone) or can even eat in our room with the Main Dining Room Menu. Princess use to let you order from the Main Dining Menu (our first trip) but by the 2nd we had dress nicer and go to the Restaurant.

Could you please post when you return whether the Casual Dining Option on the Summit is running (at least on formal nights)? Thanks!

Could you please post when you return whether the Casual Dining Option on the Summit is running (at least on formal nights)? Thanks!

I plan on doing that! Sounds like from recent cruises on the Summit the answer is no, no full buffet dinner anymore (the old $2 service charge deal) but there still is some food availability like pizza, pasta, sushi etc.

I will be doing my research first hand in just a few days here woo hoo!!

Jeff

We are cruising Celebrity for the the first time in Nov. We chose it for several reasons.

1. Leaves from a port very close to our home (20 mins.). Don't care to fly, or drive a great distance.

2. We have cruised every other line from our home port. Wanted to try something different.

3. Price is right.

4. Different ports of call.

We also like a relaxed, casual vacation, but we may dress (not too formal) for dinner a night or 2.

I'm glad we booked Celebrity for this cruise as it will be our last chance to sail with them, as they are leaving our home port. Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live and all that jazz! :^)

After 25+ cruises, I'm bored with having to sit in the MDR every night for 2 hours. While I enjoy eating, the big meal every night is just not that important to me. Food is not why I cruise. I go to relax and be out on the ocean. I just love cruising.....not eating on a cruise ship. Sure, I appreciate that a cruise line offers good food and it's disappointing if the food is bad, but that's not why I chose Celebrity. In fact, my first X cruise coming up worked for me because of the dates and I got a good deal. I like to try other cruise lines. I'll probably try the MDR and a specialty restaurant, but I won't be there every night. On the Celebrity website, they list a casual dining option and show a sample menu which I understood was the limited evening buffet (on S class ships). People keep posting that there is no eveneing buffet. Are you saying this casual dining option has ended, but they haven't removed it from the website? Below is the sample menu:

Prepared with the same attention-to-detail, casual dining delivers outstanding gourmet flavor in a relaxed environment. The sample menu below gives you a flavor of what to expect:

a p p e t i z e r s

A Selection of Cold Daily Starters from the Buffet

Shrimp Cocktail

s o u p

Chef's Fresh Soup of the Day

s a l a d s

House Salad Bar

e n t r é e s

Margherita Pizza

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Fresh Tomatoes, Oregano and Basil

Quattro Stagioni Pizza

Sausages, Mushrooms, Artichoke and Arugula

Quattro Formaggi Pizza

Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Fontina, Parmesan

Vegetarian Pizza

Variety of Seasonal Vegetables

Penne with Broccoli

Tossed with diced Tomatoes and Red Pepper Flakes,

with a touch of Parmesan and Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled Fillet of Corvina

With Cilantro Pesto

Roasted Half Grain-fed Chicken

Rubbed with Country Herbs and Spiced Mixture,

then slowly spit-roasted

La Parillada

South American Mixed Grill;

Marinated and grilled Beef, Lamb, Pork and Sausages,

Chimichurri Sauce

Responding to my own post here. Someone on another thread says this is not the menu for the S class limited evening menu. So, I guess it will be an adventure when I get on the ship to see what's available in the way of casual dining at night. I'm sure I won't starve! I know I can order room service, but I do like to go out of my room.

Here we go again! I'm tired of the attire threads that seem to be posted every other day. It's a cruise, dress up! You don't like to? Sail with another line. Dressing up on cruises is a tradition that has been around a long time. Back in the day (and on a few lines still), it was the norm. Don't ruin it for those of us who hold this tradition dear. Here's a thought: try NCL! They are about as casual as it gets, and a cruise line that I won't be visting any time soon.

Responding to my own post here. Someone on another thread says this is not the menu for the S class limited evening menu. So, I guess it will be an adventure when I get on the ship to see what's available in the way of casual dining at night. I'm sure I won't starve! I know I can order room service, but I do like to go out of my room.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of options! According to recent reports, dress code for speciality restaurants is now smart casual every night, including formal. Apparently this also includes Blu if you're in AQ. Don't forget Bistro on Five, which is also casual every night.

Here we go again! I'm tired of the attire threads that seem to be posted every other day. It's a cruise, dress up! You don't like to? Sail with another line. Dressing up on cruises is a tradition that has been around a long time. Back in the day (and on a few lines still), it was the norm. Don't ruin it for those of us who hold this tradition dear. Here's a thought: try NCL! They are about as casual as it gets, and a cruise line that I won't be visting any time soon.

If people didn't worry so much about what other people were doing (or how they were dressing), I bet they would have a much more relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

Your comments are not original as they are posted on every dress code thread (the same thing in regards to NCL also). People choose Celebrity for a lot of reasons. Formal nights are not important to us and don't factor it into our decision as to whether or not to choose Celebrity . We love everything else about Celebrity so why SHOULD we cruise with another cruise line? Where we decide to eat and what we decide to wear should not "ruin it for those of us who hold this tradition dear."

This is not an "attire" thread. Apparently, you failed to read the posts in it...lol. Don't ruin it by saying this thread is something it isn't.....lol.

The thing about this board that shocks me is how people feel that they have the right to DICTATE how other people think. I hope that people I encounter on my cruise are a bit more respectful of others. Just mho.

We just sailed Solstice a few weeks ago and there were smoking areas on deck? What is the "No Smoking Policy?"

Not sure what you mean. You were on the ship and wasn't it designated and explained? The main Celebrity rule that differs from many othe Lines is No Smoking in the Cabin or on the Balcony. There are designated areas, usually the Port Side of the outside decks such as next to the pool and at I believe one of outside Bars, either the aft one or bar above the pool -depends on the ship. The one main inside smoking area is usually the foward lounge (Sky loune on your Solistce cruise) Port side more forward. No other inside areas allow smoking, such as the casino, restaurants and lounges, sitting areas, that I'm aware of. My vary a bit on each ship.

Denny

Solstice ship is gorgeous and very much our taste. That is why we chose it.....and we have kids (gulp). We don't dress formal....honestly? We feel its a bit cheesy but do enjoy seeing others really getting into it. We don't do ship pictures, we don't attend bingo or other games/tours. I have never eaten in a ship's buffet. We dress smart. Enjoy service in dining room (not having to touch a dish is vacation for me) and relaxing with our daughters. We are very laid back and feel Celebrity will suit us wonderfully. The no smoking policy is GREAT for families....nobody wants to expose their kids to that (or the silly pool side games either)

Archived