What is there to see in Corfu, Greece?

Corfu is one of the Greek Island gems, although its lesser known in the US because of its location in the Ionian Islands (as opposed to the much better known Cylades). Corfu Town is a major yachting haven since this island is considered the main jumping-off place for boating within the Cyclades (think of Skorpios when you think of these islands). The Ionians are generally smaller and less spoiled than the Cyclades and many European boaters make this region their summer home. Corfu Town (the port) is a pretty sophisticated place with lots of shopping, cafes, restaurants, etc. The island has much to offer in the way of beaches (some crowded, some desserted) lots of picturesqe areas, and IMHO it is a delight! You can easily explore Corfu Town on your own, but if you want to see the rest of the island consider taking a tour or renting a car and buying yourself a decent tour book with maps.

Hank

We have been there 2 times before and never saw much more than the town itself.. this time I did some research and have a driver to really see Corfu.
Here are some places that the driver I have hired has suggested.

Some nice places for visit :
Paeleokastritsa
Magnificent view, monastery of 12th century, cleans beaches, and fish restaurants
Pelekas
Traditional village, magnificent view
Achillion
Summer palace of Empress Elisabeth of Austria , beautifully gardens
Kanoni
Nice view of Vlaherna Monastery and Mouse Island { Pondikonissi ]
Corfu town
Spianada Square , Church of St. Spyridon , palace of St. Michael and St, George ,Venetian Fortress ,shopping { jewelry , local liquer Kumquat ,and olive oil }

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/img]

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/mermaidswim.gif[/img]
[img]http://jammerbabe.com/images/gifs/icon_treasurebox.gif[/img]

To add a little to the wonderful descriptions Hank and Claudia gave you...

We've visited Corfu twice...once on our honeymoon 23 years ago...and once again this past August while on the Millennium...It's a great little island...

First time we were there, we stayed a couple of days, rented a car and explored the island by ourselves, had dinner at Pelekas at a suggested outdoor cafe for the sunset, explored the two medeival fortresses that bracket the old city, and generally wandered the city...

On the cruise, we decided to do a shore excursion in order to get to the Achilleion Palace...I wholeheartedly recommend doing this...There is a half day excursion offered by most of the cruise lines which takes you to the Achilleion Palace and to the Monastery at Paleokastritsas as well as giving you a nice scenic tour of the interior of the island...the cost, compared to most shore excursions, is relatively low--a mere FORTY THREE DOLLARS per person...It is very much worth the time and money and leaves you back in town by lunch time...In fact, I'd say it's unnecessary to hire a private guide for the day...

For lunch, I have a great recommendation....not necessarily for the food (which is fine), but for the location and ambiance...We ate there BOTH trips...and had the same waiter 22 years apart!!

The place is called "Pizza Pete's"--at least on one side--there's a Greek name on the other side of the restaurant and it's made to look like two restaurants although it is actually the same...It is on the cliffs just south of the harbor area (facing town from the harbor, take the road up to your left along the shore)...You can't miss it...the kitchen is on the inland side of the highway, but the tables are on a covered terrace across the highway on the cliffs...(the waiters risk their lives running across the street with trays of food)...Get a table along the rail overlooking the water and rocks below...The view is unparalleled...And the waiters cause quite a commotion below by throwing uneaten bread from the tables to the fish below...You can see large schools of fish attacking the bread in the clear water below...

After lunch, wander the fortress on the hill behind Pizza Pete's ...and/or wander the old city...the narrow streets are lined with great shops and the bargains are pretty good...I bought mens' leather belts for about 2.5 euros each...but there's all kinds of things to buy and the streets themselves are strikingly beautiful...

Celebrity had a free shuttle from town back to the ship...

Have fun...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruin Steve:
To add a little to the wonderful descriptions Hank and Claudia gave you...

We've visited Corfu twice...once on our honeymoon 23 years ago...and once again this past August while on the Millennium...It's a great little island...

First time we were there, we stayed a couple of days, rented a car and explored the island by ourselves, had dinner at Pelekas at a suggested outdoor cafe for the sunset, explored the two medeival fortresses that bracket the old city, and generally wandered the city...

On the cruise, we decided to do a shore excursion in order to get to the Achilleion Palace...I wholeheartedly recommend doing this...There is a half day excursion offered by most of the cruise lines which takes you to the Achilleion Palace and to the Monastery at Paleokastritsas as well as giving you a nice scenic tour of the interior of the island...the cost, compared to most shore excursions, is relatively low--a mere FORTY THREE DOLLARS per person...It is very much worth the time and money and leaves you back in town by lunch time...In fact, I'd say it's unnecessary to hire a private guide for the day...

For lunch, I have a great recommendation....not necessarily for the food (which is fine), but for the location and ambiance...We ate there BOTH trips...and had the same waiter 22 years apart!!

The place is called "Pizza Pete's"--at least on one side--there's a Greek name on the other side of the restaurant and it's made to look like two restaurants although it is actually the same...It is on the cliffs just south of the harbor area (facing town from the harbor, take the road up to your left along the shore)...You can't miss it...the kitchen is on the inland side of the highway, but the tables are on a covered terrace across the highway on the cliffs...(the waiters risk their lives running across the street with trays of food)...Get a table along the rail overlooking the water and rocks below...The view is unparalleled...And the waiters cause quite a commotion below by throwing uneaten bread from the tables to the fish below...You can see large schools of fish attacking the bread in the clear water below...

After lunch, wander the fortress on the hill behind Pizza Pete's ...and/or wander the old city...the narrow streets are lined with great shops and the bargains are pretty good...I bought mens' leather belts for about 2.5 euros each...but there's all kinds of things to buy and the streets themselves are strikingly beautiful...

Celebrity had a free shuttle from town back to the ship...

Have fun...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The private guide ( driver) we have hired is charging 30EU per hour and the tour that I wrote above is his 4 hour tour. So the sost at 120EU ( for 4 is pretty darn cheap )..compared to ships tours..

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/img]

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/mermaidswim.gif[/img]
[img]http://jammerbabe.com/images/gifs/icon_treasurebox.gif[/img]

Let's see--touring on a bus with a large group and no input as to the itinerary for $172 or hiring a private guide to take four people exactly where they want to go for $142.

For us, hiring the guide would be the easy choice. Claudia, would you share information such as the website or email of your guide?

Andee. I absolutely agree! We prefer doing things on our own, but we have lots of travel experience and always do our pre-trip homework. For those that want a guide, you are always better off with a good private guide/car. Large organized bus tours (like the ones they sell on cruise ships) are usually overpriced, a bit phoney (they don't really show you the real Europe, and there are always a few who are late, whine, etc. Bottom line for many of us is that we want the freedom to go where we want, with whom we want, when we want. You can only do this on your own or with a private guide.

Hank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClaudiaF:
The private guide ( driver) we have hired is charging 30EU per hour and the tour that I wrote above is his 4 hour tour. So the sost at 120EU ( for 4 is pretty darn cheap )..compared to ships tours.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes sense or doesn't is pretty much a case-by-case situation...

We had just the two of us...and would not want to take our chances with locating unknown tour partners over the net--you never know what you'll get...

Our 4 and one half hour Shore Excursion cost us $43 per person...for a total of $86..and it included all admissions charges...

At 30 Euros per hour, I figure that's 135 Euros...or about $160 US PLUS admission charges for the Achilleon Palace and Paleokatstritsas Monastery...VERSUS $83 total...

As to the "input" on where the tour goes, there really isn't much input for most people who've never been to Corfu before and wouldn't know where to go...

I'd guess that in your four hours, your guide will take you to the same Achilleion Palace and to the same Monastery...and with the time restriction, not much more...

Unloading 30 people off the bus at the two sites really wasn't that big a deal...certainly not enough to make me want to pay double (or more) the price...

Sure, if you have four people, it's closer to a break even...But, for most, the Ship's shore excursion is NOT a bad deal...

It always amazes me how many people think they're "above" a ship's excursion...or that they're saving money with a private guide...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

• 2 months later...
last summer, we rented two cars (family of 6) and instead of driving to the beach recommended by the cruiseline, the owner of the car rental agency sent us to paleokastritsas which was phenomenal. we enjoyed a gorgeous afternoon at the beach, lunch at a taverna on the beach which had a small pool and rented beach chairs. it was one of our favorite days. rental for both cars was less than about $60. cars and mopeds can be rented right where the ship docks which saves time

• 3 years later...
[quote name='ClaudiaF']We have been there 2 times before and never saw much more than the town itself.. this time I did some research and have a driver to really see Corfu.
Here are some places that the driver I have hired has suggested.

Some nice places for visit :
Paeleokastritsa
Magnificent view, monastery of 12th century, cleans beaches, and fish restaurants
Pelekas
Traditional village, magnificent view
Achillion
Summer palace of Empress Elisabeth of Austria , beautifully gardens
Kanoni
Nice view of Vlaherna Monastery and Mouse Island { Pondikonissi ]
Corfu town
Spianada Square , Church of St. Spyridon , palace of St. Michael and St, George ,Venetian Fortress ,shopping { jewelry , local liquer Kumquat ,and olive oil }

[IMG]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/IMG]
[IMG]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.gifs.net/animate/mermaidswim.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://jammerbabe.com/images/gifs/icon_treasurebox.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Couldnt say it better myself!This are the must see places in Corfu if you have only half day.

Kanoni is like 3km from Corfu Town.
Places mentioned in Corfu Town are in a 500m radius.
Best think to do is leave the ship as soon as possible, rent a car,visit Corfu Town and Kanoni and then around 12.00 head to Palaiokastritsa or Achillion.Unfortunately this two places are in opposite directions.
If i had to choose i would take Palaio.Breathtaking view from a small villages called Lakones.Dont miss it!:)

Archived