Please pick a wine

brekin67

My favorite are green bottles, mosel. I love white German wine. brown bottles are from the rhine area and the green are mosels and a little sweeter. If you arent a big wine drinker, they go down easily.

i.e. if I go into a liquor store and look for german wines .. anything in a green bottle, I know Ill like. (without getting into if its a quality and bonded or just quality bottle and all that other stuff). Anything German in a green bottle will be slightly sweet and good to me.

I, without a doubt, agree with the previous poster about the German wine. If you see a german riesling in a green bottle, get it!! It is also affordable. I have never paid more than 15 dollars or so a bottle. Hope that helps!

You can buy a mosel here in Texas like I suggested for under $10 a bottle. .. almost any liquor store I go to. $6.99 and up .. I think we bought a bottle on Princess on the cruise and it was only $22.. a huge mark up ...but its like grape juice. sweet and light and easy for non drinkers. You can carry on one bottle each.

I personally wouldnt start with a red wine ..

I have never tasted wine. I am not really sure what I prefer. I don't want to pay more than $40 for a bottle. I do like vodka, and rum. I do not like tequila or whiskey. So, I think I would like a light wine. Thank you very much.

Hummmm... sounds like something on the sweet side... white...

Here's some to look for... you should be able to get a very nice bottle under $20...

Sauvignon Blanc; lightly sweet with nice complex fruity flavors...

Semillon; kind of a fig like flavor and often using in the making of Sauternes. Nice!

Reisling; very bright wine and not terribly sweet but quite pleasing.

Muscat; very fruity and reminds me a bit of grapefruit.

:)

If you have never tasted wine, why not go to a wine shop now and explore. Ask questions. Then buy a couple of mass produced wines for $5 or $6 a bottle. Taste them and see of you like red, white or blush. My guess is that most neophytes will tend to lean toward white or blush. I would also suggest a white zinfindel.

If you have never tasted wine, why not go to a wine shop now and explore. Ask questions. Then buy a couple of mass produced wines for $5 or $6 a bottle. Taste them and see of you like red, white or blush. My guess is that most neophytes will tend to lean toward white or blush. I would also suggest a white zinfindel.

Completely agree with yogimax....a nice sauvignon or if you think you might prefer red, then look for a merlot. Just talk to an expert in the wine shop. Think of the foods you might be enjoying on the cruise - are you more a steak, chicken, seafood, pasta person? then ask for the experts' advice.

Reisling; very bright wine and not terribly sweet but quite pleasing.

:)

A good choice. Less sweet than the one from the Mosel region. Many men prefer less sweet.

OK, Im rereading definitions. A reisling is a rhine wine if its from Germany. The other side of the river.

Well, lets face it .. I like all German wines. Never had a bad one.

I would suggest also that you go to some local restaurants that might offer flights of wine- several very small glasses of wine to taste. For $40 you should be able to get a nice bottle of wine but starting from scratch it would be next to impossible to suggest. And after tasting some you might find you don't even like it. You might also just go on board and ask for wine by the glass asking the wine stewart to suggest something for you.

I once was like you and wasn't a big wine drink. Since then I have gotten married at a winery and honeymooned in Napa.

Totally agree with most posters. Go to a store that maybe offers a wine tasting, or most restraunts offer wine flights these days. Better yet if there's a winery near you most of them offer free or cheap tastings of thier wines.

I echo the reisling and I love Chateau St Michelle. Green bottle. But if you really like a sweeter taste and want it more for just sipping on the balcony and not with a meal a Muscat is very good. Or Pino Gris is usually a bit sweeter but not as common.

Again, strongly recommend going somewhere and tasting some. Or throw an impromtu Bon Voyage party and make it into a wine tasting. Have everyone bring a bottle of thier fave and then it's cheaper for you.

Dont' forget champagne (or technically sparkling wine)! I prefer to drink champagne over wine. Korbel is my favorite. I like Korbel Brut, it's the driest, but if you prefer a little sweeter go with Extra Dry (not as dry as Brut even though you would think it would be the driest) or Rose. Korbel sells from $10-$16 depending on the place. I can find it for around $10 at Walmart or another area grocery store when on sale. Usually people say they don't like champagne because they only taste the cheap stuff (Andre etc) at New Years. I had a friend try Korbel last year and she loved it and she's one who said she never liked champagne before. I've had Dom Perignon and still prefer Korbel.

I'm going to attend a food and wine tasting here locally next weekend that way I will know for sure what kind I want to bring with me in Oct. I do prefer a sweeter desert wine though....like a Muscato. :D

Same for me. Sutter Home Moscato is very good (white) and I like Taylor Port wine (red-sweet- knock me off my feet) :)

With a nice steak dinner Cabernet is what I prefer. White Zin with chicken. Asti sparkling wine is great for sail away or Blush Champagne

I like red wine. Opus One is ALL I will drink when it comes to wine. BUT it all depends what your looking for and how much you want to spend. Opus One is amazing and they sell it onboard too :D $250.00 a bottle and your sippin some of the best stuff onboard for not all that much money. Or if you want to buy before...grab a bottle of 1997 Opus one....dang good stuff there! If you want sparkling wine aka Champagne....Dom Perignon is yummy too depending on the year.

I like red wine. Opus One is ALL I will drink when it comes to wine. BUT it all depends what your looking for and how much you want to spend. Opus One is amazing and they sell it onboard too :D $250.00 a bottle and your sippin some of the best stuff onboard for not all that much money. Or if you want to buy before...grab a bottle of 1997 Opus one....dang good stuff there! If you want sparkling wine aka Champagne....Dom Perignon is yummy too depending on the year.

I love wine and drink more than my fair share of it- $250 for a bottle of wine is a lot- and especially for someone who has never tasted wine. But I suspect this must be a troll- not that their choices are bad but hardly appropriate.

My favorite is a German wine, green bottle (small 750) and it is an auslese (sp?), which is the sweetest type of german wine according to my liquor store. It is a white wine and to me tastes like a really sweet champayne without the bubbles.

Talli

I love wine and drink more than my fair share of it- $250 for a bottle of wine is a lot- and especially for someone who has never tasted wine. But I suspect this must be a troll- not that their choices are bad but hardly appropriate.

A troll??? hey the OP asked for our .02 cents I gave them mine. We dont know the budget of the OP. Maybe they have the funds for a 250.00 bottle, maybe they dont. Thats for them to decide right? They asked for options, I offered one. If you dont like my option or they dont like my offering...over look it. Maybe they wouldnt normally spend that kind of money on a bottle but they have a special occasion they want to celebrate. Who are you to judge? :cool: Im not rich by any means (im a public servant!) yet when I go on vacation I like to go in style!

A troll??? hey the OP asked for our .02 cents I gave them mine. We dont know the budget of the OP. Maybe they have the funds for a 250.00 bottle, maybe they dont. Thats for them to decide right? They asked for options, I offered one. If you dont like my option or they dont like my offering...over look it. Maybe they wouldnt normally spend that kind of money on a bottle but they have a special occasion they want to celebrate. Who are you to judge? :cool: Im not rich by any means (im a public servant!) yet when I go on vacation I like to go in style!

417- your taste sounds wonderful and I'll join you anytime- but this person has never tasted wine. Starting with a bottle that expensive would be criminal. Where do you go from there? Just saying.

Archived