Teenage Fracas on the Gem.

KyleClark

Fortunately, this didn't escalate into a brawl. If it did how would NCL handle it?

I was on board on that day and throughout the 2 weeks I thought the games they played were a bit intense and waiting for something to kick off,too many on the court at one time?

Could only see the first 43 seconds so don't know if there was more other than the finger poking and crowd jeering.

If it had escalated into a brawl security would have broken up the teens, and returned them to their parents. Probably would have closed the BB court to their use. The kids could also be confined to their stateroom for a time period, the rest of the voyage, or even thrown of the ship if the offense was deemed a threat to the rest of the passengers, all depending on the Captains decision.

Where were the parents of those kids? If I knew the BB games were getting too intense, mine would not have been up there. JMO

Could only see the first 43 seconds so don't know if there was more other than the finger poking and crowd jeering.

If it had escalated into a brawl security would have broken up the teens, and returned them to their parents. Probably would have closed the BB court to their use. The kids could also be confined to their stateroom for a time period, the rest of the voyage, or even thrown of the ship if the offense was deemed a threat to the rest of the passengers, all depending on the Captains decision.

Where were the parents of those kids? If I knew the BB games were getting too intense, mine would not have been up there. JMO

Later in the clip you do see security on the court, more finger jabbing, and the audience egging on. At the end it looks as though they are being asked to leave the court.

Later in the clip you do see security on the court, more finger jabbing, and the audience egging on. At the end it looks as though they are being asked to leave the court.

It appeared as though security was there a little more than a minute after the video started. I would say that is a pretty good response time unless this had been going on for a while before the video started.

From what I could hear is seemed as though there was a fair amount of "egging on" coming from the crowd. Sounded like a typical European football match.

Hopefully someone pulled the punk in the red shorts aside and tried to straighten him out. He seemed to be the biggest antagonist out there, from pushing and shoving right up to head butting. I guess he has seen some of his football heroes do the same thing and was just emulating them.

PE

I wonder if the security guys carry pepper spray?

Spraying a few of those kids in the face would have put an end to that foolishness very fast!

Punks should not be tolerated, and it appeared to me the security was not being agressive enough. They should have eliminated the people whe were pushing other people around.

Spraying a few of those kids in the face would have put an end to that foolishness very fast!

Punks should not be tolerated, and it appeared to me the security was not being agressive enough. They should have eliminated the people whe were pushing other people around.

Yeah! and then sent them down to stoke the engines!! But...they don't have coal stokers on board any more... :rolleyes:

I am in favor of spaying a lot of them.

An interesting question, though: how would security handle an on-board brawl that contains more than basketball playing 16-year olds?

I have also wondered about the effectiveness and efficiency of on-board security.

Found this:

From a passenger: We were on the Carnival Dream sailing 08/07 to 08/14 and heard that a brawl broke out in the dance club around 3:00 a.m. on the morning of the 12th. We heard from passengers and a bartender that the brawl started over a song. It involved so many young people (men and women) that the security on board was unable to handle everyone and had to call in assistance from wait staff and other crew members. The fight spilled over into the art gallery located next door and apparently a $10K painting was ruined with blood spatter. Flat screen tvs were smashed and there was a lot of damage done. We heard that people on the ground were getting kicked in the head by men and women and that one person needed to be revived because he was hurt so badly. We also heard that the crowd spilled out of the dance club and that innocent people were getting punched in the face as they were walking by. The next morning in Costa Maya there were a bunch of people (10 people) sitting by the side of the ship with all of their luggage as they were kicked off the ship and their relatives were shipped off to Mexican jails. Carnival needs to learn a lesson here and not serve alcohol after a certain time and perhaps shut down the 18+ dance club before 3:00 a.m. Nothing good can come of drunk teenagers at 3:00 in the morning. (See Florida Today for the media report of the incident.)

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100818/NEWS01/8180332/1006/news01/10+cruise+passengers+evicted+after+brawl

Seems like it was under control eventually.

Fortunately, this didn't escalate into a brawl. If it did how would NCL handle it?

Wow, I wonder if any of them got kicked off the ship. If I saw my kids in that scene, they would be confined to the cabin with all electronics off for the duration. Too much testosterone in one spot.

Viv

there were a bunch of people (10 people) sitting by the side of the ship with all of their luggage as they were kicked off the ship and their relatives were shipped off to Mexican jails.

A Mexican jail is too good of a place for someone who does what they did.

The ships have cameras everywhere and there would be no doubt as to who did what.

I certainly hope the security staff has tasers and pepper spray to incapacitate passengers when they need to.

I have always wondered if they ever needed to resort to lethal force to deal with a passenger who was threatening the lives of others. So far, I have not heard of it. But I sure hope the security staff has an Uzi or two stashed somewhere in a safe on the ship.

A Mexican jail is too good of a place for someone who does what they did.

The ships have cameras everywhere and there would be no doubt as to who did what.

I certainly hope the security staff has tasers and pepper spray to incapacitate passengers when they need to.

I have always wondered if they ever needed to resort to lethal force to deal with a passenger who was threatening the lives of others. So far, I have not heard of it. But I sure hope the security staff has an Uzi or two stashed somewhere in a safe on the ship.

There have been armed officers on the QM2 lately, they are VERY discrete but have been seen boarding her on periodic sailings from NY. I bet NCL has them as well.

There have been armed officers on the QM2 lately, they are VERY discrete but have been seen boarding her on periodic sailings from NY. I bet NCL has them as well.

We went on an NCL cruise shortly after 9-11 and there were security officers in Zodiacs patrolling the ship while in port. We also had a US Navy and a Norwegian Navy vessel berthed near us and there were frogmen all over the place.

Viv

LOL! Shhhhhh - I just didn't want to scare anyone! These are the nicest guys but I sure wouldn't want to be on their bad side!

The security staff from Nepal are always small almost tiny, very quiet, very polite and lovely people. They are not to be crossed since they will most probably have been recruited upon leaving one of the Gurkha regiments and are former members of one of the most feared fighting forces there is. Don't mess with the Gurkha guys!

Look them up on Google

Archived