MIFI--Will it work in Europe as an alternative internet connection?

GJH123

As one who self-describes myself as technologically challenged and one who has just purchased an ipod touch, I’m appealing to those kind souls out there who might take pity on me. I realize that I can download trip research by sending myself an e-mail with an attachment and also podcasts of walking tours, etc. as well as access the internet at wi-fi hot spots. My question is about mifi. I was reading about the new Virgin Mifi that does not require a contract allowing for purchasing a single month of coverage and was wondering if this device will work in Europe both on an off the ship? In other words, would I be able to carry my very own hot spot with me instead of trying to locate a McDonald’s in every port? Thanks so much for any insight you might provide.

I read that article with interest as well.

I would think that you would need a cell signal. Usually there is no cell signal when the ship is some distance from land. You would also need to check with T-Mobile to see whether they have coverage abroad.

Can you run the Hotspot app on an ITouch without jailbreaking it? I know that you cannot with an Iphone....:confused:

Although Virgin Mobile and parent company Sprint are falling over themselves to support MIFI in the United States, I doubt that they have anywhere near the bandwidth capacity in Europe to support it.

:o

As far as I know Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network for data. This network is a CDMA network which is not the type of mobile network used in Europe. European countries use GSM which requires a Sim card. Therefore I do not think the device will work in Europe

been assured that it will work in Europe. I am paying a slight amount for European coverage as well. Will know real soon. T-Mobile worked in Europe everywhere. I only did phone calls and Text on that but it worked

The world phone uses GSM bands too.

The OPs phone is CDMA.

I think it would be possible to have your own hotspot if you purchased this device Novatel Wireless MiFi 2352 Unlocked 3G Mobile Hotspot for HSPA GSM Networks for Europe/International at Amazon. What I don't know is if you could buy a Sim card with large amounts of data and no contract for a reasonable price. I think you would need some skill at technology in getting it to work as well. It probably would be easier just using internet cafe's in the ports you visit.

That's what I have concluded. I found a website, listing all the countries in which MiFi 2352 would work and only about half of the countries we are visiting were listed. Too bad, there's not one universal carrier for the EU. Also not so sure I want to try to set something up like this in a second language, have a hard enough time trying to work through it in English:>)

Thanks for your help and suggestion!

Archived