Dining with Same Age Group

Lovincruisin1321

We are cruising to Alaska on the Millenium next May. We requested a table for eight. There are three of us (52, 50 and 19). Do they take into consideration ages? We prefer to dine with same age group or younger.

Should I request this?

It's not a problem. Just ask Maitre d' on the first day of your cruise and he will arrange the table per your request. A good Maitre d' can even arrange the table based on the language you prefer to speak (if the cruise is "international"): french-speaking table, english-speaking table, etc.

It's not a problem. Just ask Maitre d' on the first day of your cruise and he will arrange the table per your request. A good Maitre d' can even arrange the table based on the language you prefer to speak (if the cruise is "international"): french-speaking table, english-speaking table, etc.

I've booked through a travel agent. When speaking with Maitre d', when do I do this? I have 8:30pm seating.

The cruise line normally groups the people at each dining table by age .since there are about 2000 pax on a MK class & 2600- 2800 on a S class ship it would be impossible to take every ones special rquest for dining arrangements . If that is the persons desire then they will need to book on smaller ships & or 6 star lines .

We are cruising to Alaska on the Millenium next May. We requested a table for eight. There are three of us (52, 50 and 19). Do they take into consideration ages? We prefer to dine with same age group or younger.

Should I request this?

If I were the maitre d', I wouldn't know how to deal with your group by age. You mention 52, 50, and 19. Do you want to match the 50s or the teens?

I would suggest that you visit the maitre d' as soon as you board and explain more fully what you would like.

I would be most concerned about the 19 year old having age peers at the table. Hopefully, the 50 somethings could deal with the possibility that grandparents might be accompanying their college-age grandchild and bear being seated with "older" folk.

Should I request this?

What one age bracket includes 50s and teens? ;)

with appropriate age groups. We have taken 16 cruises and only once were we seated at a table with "inappropriate" tablemates and that was a mistake that was corrected after the first dinner-- a group of 8 russians traveling together got separated- 4 were put at one table and the other 4 were at our table-they spoke no english-- all of us were miserable--we went to the maitre d who promised to rectify it by the next evening--voila- the 8 russians were now together and our party of 4 were seated at the other russians' table with the remaining party of 4 so now each table had 8 happy people. LOL-:)

On all our other cruises, we always wind up seating with people in our age "bracket" and we have had many enjoyable meals. We still correspond and have visited our tablemates from england from an RCI cruise in 1997!!!

Relax- somehow the seating genies work their magic and if they don't as the others have suggested, you can see the maitre d after your first dinner. Give it a try first before you go--you may love your tablemates even if their ages are not in your bracket.

On HAL's Zuiderdam we had requested a large table (we always like the variety of a larger group), but found ourselves seated at a four-top with a pair of old biddies from Wisconsin who spent our first dinner making thinly veiled anti-Semitic comments about "those people from New York."

We practically ran to the maitre d' to request a change of table.

The next night we were led to a 10-top assembled from people all of whom had requested table changes after the first night. We laughingly called ourselves the "rejects table" and we got along famously. Best group I've ever been seated with! :)

Actually, she'll be 20 by then. Rather sit with the "young adults" than the older folk talking about meds and surgeries! :)

Hope your comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek; otherwise it might be taken as a form of prejudice called ageism.

Actually, she'll be 20 by then. Rather sit with the "young adults" than the older folk talking about meds and surgeries! :)

One problem you might encounter is that those young adults might prefer to sit with other young adults instead of 50+ year-olds. Most 25-30 year-olds will consider you (early 50s) much "older" than you seem to consider those who discuss meds and surgeries. BTW, early 50s is getting real close to the beginning of "meds and surgeries" age...fyi.

One problem you might encounter is that those young adults might prefer to sit with other young adults instead of 50+ year-olds. Most 25-30 year-olds will consider you (early 50s) much "older" than you seem to consider those who discuss meds and surgeries. BTW, early 50s is getting real close to the beginning of "meds and surgeries" age...fyi.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm 26 and will be sailing with my 27-year-old boyfriend on the Constellation next week. My hopes are that we get seated with the 25-35 range, though I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves whatever the situation!

I have been on only one criuse. My group included myself, and two 18-year-old, about to graduate, high school girls. We were placed at a table for eight, with a group of five, "50-something" sisters and friends. One was a college professor, one was a HS teacher, another was just the brightest, funniest, women I've ever met.

We talked proms, movies, boys, men, travel, vampire books:rolleyes:, college reality, sometimes serious, sometimes a little risque, and always captivating. I could not have invented a better scenario for myself or the girls. It was just an unbelievable luck-of-the-draw.

Now, sophomores in college, these girls still reference this group of fabulous women!

Had I requested a "cooler" table, we would have missed out on one of the most memorable parts of the cruise.

Again, I managed to put my foot in my mouth! We had a really bad experience on NCL New England cruise. We were 45yrs at the time and the youngest on the ship. Literally! Every discussion at dinner or lunch was geriatric. It was depressing. Some folks were wonderful and I loved to hear their life stories and travels.

Since this is a mixed-aged cruise, I would like to be seated with my own age group. As for my daughter who calls me the other teen, I would actually fit in with the 20 - 25yr range. I actually have my 24yr old son's friends invite me and my husband to bars with them!

Archived