Just back from 9/5 Veendam - Great Trip!

KatWag

loving your review,Kathy.

question for you.... when is the best time to do the laundry 'all you can stuff' bag so that you aren't nekkid on the last day? :eek:

seriously, I want to take home as many clean clothes as I can, is all.

Not sure the last time you can send out. But we sent our last bag the morning of the last sea day. It was back that night and all was good. :)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Hmmm ...

The race is on! ;) :cool: :D

Let's see ... May 2011 - Oct 2011

I'll catch up with you in no time. LOL

LOL Vic! You need to try a little harder -- April 2011, July 2011 & possibly August 2011!!! And P.S., it's a race that we both WIN!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

When I was little we stayed at the Sonesta Beach Resort. Used to walk up the steps to the main road and go across the street to the little shop at Henry VIII restaurant for their Cornish Pasties. That whole property has been demolished now - victim of the last big hurricane, I guess.)

K

Kat,

The Sonesta was torn down to build another luxury hotel, and from what locals told us, deal after deal to build a new hotel fell through. We stayed right next door at the Reefs this past April, wonderful hotel! DH and DS took a kayak and were able to walk around the beach for the Sonesta, the slide was still partially standing.

LoveMyBoxer - I'll have to keep the Reefs in mind - I always liked the location of the Sonesta and that sounds great. Thanks!

Day 4 - Hamilton

Overslept slightly again, doggone it! (And this is someone who gets up at 5AM every day to go to work. I sleep too well on ships). By the time we got out of bed we were underway to Hamilton. Quickest shower in history - toss on clothes - DH started taking pictures while I hoofed it to Neptune for Coffee and some pastries. Then we just sat on the veranda and watched the sail into Hamilton.

When we docked, our side (Port) faced the sound. We enjoyed this view very much. We were there on Seven Seas Navigator a few years ago and had the town view so we were interested in something different this time. Wow! Talk about how the other half lives. Some of these houses were incredible. At least one had its own island.

I guess we docked right around 9. Ship cleared quickly and we were able to go ashore. Today was South Shore day for us. Had I gotten that lovely olive Slovak skin I'm sure beaches would have been on our agenda. But since I got the blasted Irish pale skin beaches are not my friend. Our first stop was Gibbs Hill Lighthouse.

Headed to the bus terminal and boarded our bus. When bus was full they pulled out (20 minutes before scheduled departure time per the printed schedules). Driver told us where to get off for Gibbs Hill. We headed up the hill (very hot and humid today - we both walked more slowly than usual.) Then we made the climb to the top. OMG - talk about a view. The steps were worth it, believe me. We got (I hope) some great shots.

We had thought about visiting the Fairmont Southhampton since we honeymooned there 28 years ago when it was the Southampton Princess. But remembering that long drive from the main road and since it was so hot we decided we'll visit that next time and took the bus to dockyards.

Made our pilgrimage to Frog and Onion. :)

Did a good bit of shopping here. We had gotten a set of dishes at the clayworks last time and were hoping to buy some other pieces. As it turns out the pattern is no longer made but Todd recognized the artist when we walked in and she remembered it. She checked to see if she had the right sponges and she did so she offered to do a special order for us if we didn't mind waiting. Well, those are my "It is summer" dishes so as long as I have them by next May that is fine with me, so we ordered it.

Stopped by the dockyard glassworks to get our rum cakes. This time I was smarter. I got one for us and one for Todd's executive assistant. Last time I was an idiot. I must have schlepped ten back. The only problem is that I am usually pretty strict with my diet and pretty much don't allow myself to eat that stuff except for vacation. So you can guess what happened - they all sat there and spoiled. :(

Headed back to Hamilton about 2:40. Originally planned to take the ferry back but there was a two hour gap between ferries for some reason and the next one was 3:30. In the end we should have waited. Tip: If you are going to board a bus back to Hamilton, walk back to where the ships are docked and board there. You are more likely to get a seat. By the time we boarded (from the clocktower stop) it was already standing room only. And we were in the back of the bus where there is no railing to grab so I was kind of stuck between the seats, gripping my bags and trying to grip the edge of the seat. It was a long ride. We passed lots of very unhappy locals who were waiting for the bus. Enough folks cleared off when we got to Horseshoe Bay that we were able to sit the rest of the way.

Got back on the ship, freshened up and sat out on the veranda enjoying the view. This was the last Harbor Nights of the season so we headed out about 6:45 so we did not miss the dancers. It was fun. I didn't see much I wanted to buy though. And there were all the requisite "end of season" political sort of speeches. But the dancers were very good and some of the shops stayed open late so we were able to wander around.

Headed back on the ship about 8:30 or so and just relaxed in some of the lounges. Sat in on the name that tune in Mix but most of it was way before our time. Some of the songs were from the 40s I think. Now that does not seem to make sense to me, to be honest. I did not see very many folks on the ship in their 90s. A lot of 60s and 70s. A few 80s maybe. But there were not a lot of 90 year olds and I would think that would be the prime audience for the music of the 40s, people who were young adults during that decade.

This is where I have some problems with the HAL entertainment on this trip, to be honest. I completely understand that with large production shows you are dealing with a fleet-wide situation and you absolutely target your primary demographic. But it does seem to me that without too much effort, at least a handful of lounge acts could be tailored to the demographic of a particular cruise. I'm sure it is not a surprise to HAL that the Bermuda cruise draws more young families than a 30 day cruise. This seems lazy to me - like they just did not want to bother expending the effort. Just my $.02.... and probably worth exactly that.........

Not too much late evening entertainment for our age group, to be honest. We headed back, read and relaxed for a bit and then decided to rest up for a touring day tomorrow.

I might be the worst person for comparisons, Kazu, but I will try. Let me preface this by saying that we just love cruising and being on the ocean. And we've sailed everything from Carnival to Regent and can honestly say we've never had anything we would consider to be a bad cruise. That said, each line seems to have its own flavor to us. Our next cruise, in Feb, is on Windstar and we were sitting on our veranda on this cruise figuring out that our room will probably be the size of our veranda on Veendam. But we'll love it and have an amazing time.

As you can tell from the beginning parts of my review, DH and I were very impressed with our first HAL cruise. We would definitely sail HAL again. Probably on one of the newer ships because we did kind of get tired of all the noise from Lido deck constantly when we were trying to enjoy the Veranda. And we tend to choose our ships based upon itinerary in a lot of cases.

I would say that the service level reminds me most of Regent. Same with the friendliness of the staff. If there was someone on the ship who had a bad day or a bad mood we never encountered them. Everyone on Veendam had a friendly smile and wished us a good day. The Captain was funny and personable. More like the captains we've met on Regent and on Windstar rather than on other larger lines.

Suites - this is kind of tough. NCL suite amenities and the luxuriousness of the suites themselves are hard to beat. I would have to give NCL the edge here. That said, from what I have gathered from other passengers, the NCL experience in the non suites can sometimes be quite different. Neptune was a very nice plus and we enjoyed it very much. It was great being able to just pop down the hall and enjoy snacks or some of that amazing coffee.

Fellow passengers - honestly this is pretty much always consistent. DH calls it the 80/20 rule. 80% of the people you meet are delightful. 20% you will probably have to work a little harder to like. And much as I hate to admit it to him, this does seem to hold true. Obviously, the bigger the ship the higher number of people in the 80% category. And also in the 20% category. We met some terrific folks on Veendam. And we met a few who seem to pride themselves on being poster children for some of the unfortunate stereotypes which plague those of us who live on the East Coast.

Shows - I usually don't even bother with the shows since they normally don't appeal to me too much. But I loved the Veendam shows I attended and would rate HAL very highly in this area.

Other Entertainment Venues - In this area I think HAL can improve some. I understand that in production shows they need to cater to their prime demographic which is a bit older than DH and I. But I do feel that with very little effort, they could tailor their lounge entertainment to the demographics which come with some of the itineraries like Bermuda where you are appealing to family groups. I think some of the other lines we have been on had lounge acts which appealed to us more.

Activities - I would give some of the other lines an edge here. There was not really much to do on the last sea day, I thought. Also, although we enjoyed the mixology class, we tend to prefer the NCL approach. The seating arrangements are different and encourage more socialization between participants. By the later sessions, you pretty much know everyone in the group and folks keep coming back because they have a good time. They also do specific drinks (martini class / mojito class, etc.) The HAL version was different mixed drinks and I usually found that there was at least one of the three that I did not like. It was $12.50 for three. NCL is $15.00 for five and is always different flavors of the same type of drink. We like that way better.

Formal / No Formal - Mostly I think about this in terms of what do I need to pack. No question that it is easier to pack when you don't need to worry about formal nights. So I do tend to prefer more of the country club casual approach, especially if we need to fly. I was a little surprised at how many folks on Veendam did not observe the formal dress code in the public areas but that might have been more a function of the younger Bermuda demographic and might not be seen so much on other HAL cruises.

Port Info - Hands down HAL. Other than Regent, HAL did the best job of actually presenting useful information instead of making it into one huge sales pitch for overpriced shore excursions.

Ship size - we like the smaller to mid sized ships. This ship was a very nice size. It offered a lot of amenities but was not difficult to find your way around. We like the way that HAL seems committed to offering mid sized ships. That is unusual among the mass market lines where the trend seems to be "bigger is better".

If I think of anything else interesting, I'll add it later on.

Kathy, thanks so much :):)

I think you gave a very fair and unbiased review which is really great.

Really appreciate all of the info and it was tremendous.

You gave NCL the edge on suites (and we book suites ) just wondering what put them over the top for you? if and when you have time.

Your review is wonderful. thank you for sharing this with us.

Much appreciated. :):)

Day 5 - Hamilton

Today was going to be mostly Hamilton touring. Didn't get a very early start. Breakfast in Pinnacle. So far I've tried French Toast (excellent), Pancakes (OK, but not as good as the French Toast) and Omelet. At the moment the French Toast is still leading. :)

Used our guidebook walking tour and decided to hit all the spots mentioned. Very very hot and humid - showers at various points in the day.

First up was Fort Hamilton. Nice view but if you have visited Fort St Catherine you might be a bit disappointed. The gardens were the absolute best part - very lush and surprisingly peaceful given how close we were to downtown Hamilton.

Visited the Perot Post Office and the museum next door. Somehow in all our trips we had never made it there. Also sessions house, cabinet building and started browsing in the shops. Bought some treats to take home. Then made our pilgrimage to Hog Penny for our Dark and Stormy (and some lunch). The hostess is a sour puss. I don't know if it is just Americans she does not like or if she is just not a people person. DH was juggling our bags and his camera as we sat down. His camera was slipping out of the case so he grabbed it and stored it safely before he took off his hat. He always takes off his hat inside - just had not gotten it done fast enough for her. She came over to accost him. Of course he removed it immediately. But we both felt uncomfortable.

I think she got paid back a bit though. The next group that came in was a group of six. Not sure if the husband of the first couple to arrive was hard of hearing (he was only in his thirties) or whether he is just unusually loud. And some of his comments were a bit over the line, to be honest. Then he says to the bartender "We're from Jersey - I guess you can tell". By this time I am cringing. Those of us who live in the Northeast get tagged with some very unfortunate stereotypes. Any of you who are sports fans will remember some of the horrendous actions of some Philadelphia fans. Who can forget booing Santa Claus or booing Darren Daulton's little boy. Let alone the ice balls thrown at some football players. A few boors basically blackened the name of 4.5 million people who live in this area. But all it takes is meeting someone on a trip who behaves in that manner to reinforce these negative stereotypes. 'Nuff said.

Hog Penny was good but not as good as I remembered to be honest. I tried something different than my usual dark and stormy for a change and had a Yellowbird - it was very tasty.

More shopping and wandering after lunch.

We were originally planning to do the aquarium today but I was kind of sunburned from waiting for the bus the other day and we were concerned it would be made worse if we had to wait a long time for a return bus.

Actually our bus pass turned out to be a big waste this trip - usually we make much better use of it.

Back to the ship to relax and enjoy that amazing view from our Veranda.

Dinner was Canaletto's. Service much faster this time - I guess we were correct that the first night problem was the modified code red causing staffing issues.

I liked this restaurant better than DH. He thought the food was just OK. I thought it was good. We tried the tiramisu tonight and I really enjoyed that.

If I remember correctly (I will have to check my daily schedule) this was the Doo Wop night show. Did not hold any real appeal for us so we decided to hit the lounges. Tried that amazing Spanish Coffee again at Crow's Nest. Tonight was even better because it was dark in the room and you could see the flames. If you enjoy fancy coffees I highly recommend this one.

Also sat in the Explorer Lounge for a bit. Peaceful and we enjoyed it. They have a tray in there for fancy coffees and goodies. They bring around candies and goodies for you to enjoy. Very nice touch. We liked that lounge a lot. They had a string trio in there who were very good.

Back to the room finally to read for a bit and then hit the sack - ready for our last part day in Bermuda.

Kathy, thanks so much :):)

I think you gave a very fair and unbiased review which is really great.

Really appreciate all of the info and it was tremendous.

You gave NCL the edge on suites (and we book suites ) just wondering what put them over the top for you? if and when you have time.

Your review is wonderful. thank you for sharing this with us.

Much appreciated. :):)

Thanks, Kazu. I'll give it my best shot.

I will compare to NCL Sun since that is an older ship and we sailed her in the Baltics about four months ago. I don't want to compare Veendam to one of the really new builds. But I think Sun would be a far comparison. And we did not do the owner suite on Sun - we did an AC suite so I think the suite level is also fairly comparable.

Our room on Veendam was a combo of living room / bedroom. The drawers were pretty much all in the bedroom area. The dressing area was separated from the bedroom by a curtain that did not close completely. So if you are a couple where one person gets up early and another likes to sleep in the layout can be a challenge. Likewise if you have one partner who likes to read or watch TV for a while and another who is ready to sleep you are in trouble. The dressing area and bath could best be described as utilitarian. The closets were not in good repair and did not close properly. On the other hand, the couch on Veendam was nicer than the one we had on Sun. And as I noted earlier the Veranda furniture was the nicest we've ever had, I think.

On Sun our suite was separated into very distinct rooms. We had an entry and then living area. The living area was separated from the bedroom by doors. The bath was accessed by doors in the entry and also by a door in the bedroom. The dressing area was very large and the quality of the furnishings in here was considerably higher than what we had on Veendam. It worked out well for us. DH (who sleeps in) could have his closet and shelves in the bedroom. I (who normally get up way earlier) could have my storage areas in the dressing area. I could close off the dressing area with a door to avoid disturbing DH. The balcony area was accessible both from the bedroom and from the living area. The bath was very large and luxurious with a separate commode area, a separate show and a tub.

Both breakfast and lunch were served for Suite passengers only in Le Bistro, the specialty restaurant. And we had reserved seating for the shows.

On NCL the suite passengers get to go into the Chocolate Buffet first (after photos but before the rest of the passengers.) Likewise you get taken through immigration first if you have to clear immigration.

I think with many of the other amenities the lines match up fairly well. Both have priority embarkation and debarkation. Both have concierge services. NCL has concierge and butler but HAL has the Neptune Lounge which we greatly enjoyed. Both lines have suite cocktail parties.

There are pros and cons to each. But I mostly give the edge to NCL in the suites area. Hope that helps. :)

.... was ready to book a cruise to Bermuda for May '11 - NOW i'm DEFINITELY doing it!!! :) Ty for the great review!

I'm undecided with HAL or NCL though ;) I know this is a HAL board, but i'm between these 2 cruiselines ---- one does 2 stops though, which is nice.

Thanks Georgette.

I highly recommend it. :)

Honestly I think you will have a great cruise whichever line you choose. We loved docking in Hamilton. That said, I would have rather been at Dockyards than tender again to St. Georges. If nightlife is a priority for you you might like NCL over HAL. As Nessa reported a few months ago, nightlife on HAL is kind of skimpy and things close up fairly early.

One other item - don't know if it is important to you or not. I met one woman at the mixology class who hated NCL. She is really into good wine and likes to take wine onboard. HAL allows you to take wine onboard. NCL does not - they confiscate it. She hated that and it spoiled her entire cruise.

On the other hand if you like to do the fun drinks events, you can't beat NCL. They do martini "classes", mojito "classes", pub crawls etc. You get to really have a good time with some of your fellow guests. They become very social events and folks really enjoy each other's company.

If you like formal nights you will enjoy HAL more because you will have two formal nights on your cruise. If you prefer to dress more casually you might prefer NCL because you won't be restricted to the Lido if you don't feel like packing formal clothes.

Just keep in mind that HAL is considered to be more of a premium line than NCL.

But truthfully I have never had a bad cruise. We've done everything from Carnival to Regent and have loved every single cruise. Yes, there have been some things here and there which we felt could be improved. But hey - we're not at work / we're on the ocean and we usually have a drink in hand.............what's to get upset about?

Have a great time whatever you decide to do. :)

Thanks Kat!!!

I'm sure if it was just myself and my hub going to Bermuda, I'd pick HAL..

We will have 2 kids with us, so NCL might be the way to go, it's a tad more expensive, but price isn't the big deal.

I'm unsure if my daughter, being age 8 at the time of sailing, if she will do activities without us.. this will be her first cruise. My son, 19, has cruised before and will do just about anything we do.

We love going to the shows, etc, so maybe NCL will work the best.

I don't mind the non-wine... I'm into a fancy drink here or there, husband is into some beers from time to time. I'm sure the kids will grab a soda, but either line I'll have to pay for that.

I think since we are docked for 3 days in one spot, i'd prefer not having to be on time for dinner and go back and get dressed up after a day of swimming (hopefully with May's weather) and the beach. We'll all be exhausted I'm sure.

I was reading some other posts around that some didn't like Bermuda, as he said 'it shuts down at night time', because of the English rule.

I don't mind that much either - as we don't gamble and are just there to relax, same as you said. ;)

Thanks for writing! :)

I'm glad you had a nice time!

Day 6 - Half Hamilton / Half Sea Day

Weren't sure what we were going to do today. Breakfast at Pinnacle........back to my favorite French Toast this time. :)

Decided to go off and do some last minute shopping. The weather was pretty iffy. Rained off and on. And it was breezy. But it felt good, to be honest. This was the first day I was not drenched in sweat after a few minutes off the ship.

Shopped front street for some last minute items to take home. Found fun tee shirts and stuff mostly. Not looking for anything high end this trip. And honestly, the prices in Bermuda are not always that great for watches etc anyway.

Got back on the ship in time for the suites Indonesian lunch. Definitely a treat. If you are sailing in a suite please don't miss this, at least once. The staff were so thrilled to see how much we all enjoyed it. The hotel director and the captain are a hoot. Definitely a great sense of humor and you can just feel how much respect they have for one another and for this terrific hardworking team they have assembled.

Thought we'd miss seeing the sailaway from our veranda but we ended up leaving a bit late. First we delayed due to rain and high winds. Meanwhile they were making announcements to try to locate four and then two missing passengers. Left a little over half an hour late I guess and by that time we were on our veranda. Watched the view until we passed dockyards. After that nothing more on our side so we hoofed it to deck 6 to watch us leave Bermuda.

After the island was out of sight headed for the lounges. We ended up going to the mixology class. This one I did not like so much. I like the vodka martinis mostly. Not a big mixed drink person. I liked one of the three drinks. Rashida was there and she's terrific. Great personality for her job (party planner).

Afternoon was pretty laid back. Spent some time on the veranda, some in the lounges, some browsing the newly opened shops.............

Dinner was Pinnacle Grill. When we had seen the Maitre D in the morning at breakfast we had asked if it might be possible to get a window table. He thought it was likely since we were dining at 8PM that night and that is usually around the time the tables turn over from the earliest seatings. Turned out to be one of those watch what you wish for kinds of moments.........

We arrived on time and got our requested table by the window. We were in the back part of the restaurant. Not too many tables there so you would expect a quiet intimate evening. Ordered our appetizers and some wine and very much enjoyed both. Then we heard a commotion. There was a guy walking through the restaurant talking loudly with the Maitre D behind him. He looked at the table behind us, told the Maitre D that would be acceptable and then rudely instructed (no joke) the Maitre D to walk to the lounge and tell his family to come to the restaurant. Then the guy sits down.

The other three arrive a few moments later. Rudely and loudly complaining as they walk past all their unfortunate fellow diners. Then this guy proceeds to very loudly complain about everything. Decides he wants to be "big man on Campus" and gives the staff a very rough time. Demands that the Maitre D be brought to his table so he can instruct the Maitre D that he has decided he is willing to eat at Pinnacle the following night and expects to be provided a table. Staff could not find the Maitre D immediately, he was downstairs dealing with another issue so the guy proceeds to loudly berate the staff wanting to know what the Maitre D was doing downstairs. At this point I actually turned completely around in my chair because I was so astonished at this behavior. DH asked me later what I expected to see. Don't know to be honest. I guess maybe I thought there would be some physical sign that this guy was a lunatic. Or maybe horns or something? We have been on 15 cruises and I have honestly never witnessed behavior that even approached this. As you can imagine, the wait list for the last night at Pinnacle was quite long and the Maitre D conveyed this but offered to add them to the list. Later on they would call him to the table again to insist that they be given a table Saturday night. (We were there Saturday night and I am delighted to report that they were not.)

The volume and tone of most of his conversation can best be described as a mule braying. If you have ever seen a mule: the mule starts out braying and when he does not get what he wants he brays louder and louder until he is almost screaming. That is the best description of this guys behavior. Most disappointing to me was that neither of the two woman at that table got up onto her hind legs and asserted herself. Had DH behaved in that manner in public I would have found a new and interesting use for the duct tape I take on cruises. Perhaps the mother was so embarrassed by her clear failure to rear her child in an appropriate manner that she was mute. But I cannot imagine what was wrong with this guy's wife.

After having our main course pretty much destroyed by this guy's antics, I approached the Maitre D, apologized at asking since he had been so kind as to give us the requested window table and asked if we might move to another table so we could enjoy our dessert and coffee. He was very kind and accomodated us immediately. We were able to enjoy our desserts and coffee in the blessed quiet of the front room. (The next day I went to Neptune Lounge, explained what had happened to Abby and asked that she convey to the Maitre D's boss that he truly had done everything possible to be polite to this rude boorish group just in case a complaint was made.)

We finished up just in time to get to the 10PM show. It was terrific. The two singers we liked the best were featured and it was truly amazing. We really loved it. Headed to Crows Nest afterward for a little bit and then back to the room to read a bit and then get ready to enjoy our last day onboard.

Kathy

You have done a beautiful job of reviewing our cruise. Although we didn't share the specific experiences, you have captured the essence of the cruise. You have a gift for writing!

Hope to meet up with you on a future cruise. Looks like we lucked out on the timing between hurricanes.

Phil and Rhonda

Any of you who are sports fans will remember some of the horrendous actions of some Philadelphia fans. Who can forget booing Santa Claus or booing Darren Daulton's little boy. Let alone the ice balls thrown at some football players.

I'll never forget that....pelting my beloved Cowboys with snowballs that had batteries hidden inside. :mad: It was this incident that prompted me to start calling Philadelphia the City of Brotherly Hate. ;) I completely agree with you that the actions of a few complete morons seem to tag an entire demographic....it's an unfortunate trait of human nature and I'm afraid we're all guilty of it to some degree.

Back to your review....I'm loving it and thank you for taking the time to write it. Now, I must continue reading it... :D

Kathy

You have done a beautiful job of reviewing our cruise. Although we didn't share the specific experiences, you have captured the essence of the cruise. You have a gift for writing!

Hope to meet up with you on a future cruise. Looks like we lucked out on the timing between hurricanes.

Phil and Rhonda

Thanks, Phil!! It was terrific meeting you and Rhonda as well. We were really lucky in our choice of week. Wonderful to have such a terrific vacation. Now if only I could do it monthly................. :)

I'll never forget that....pelting my beloved Cowboys with snowballs that had batteries hidden inside. :mad: It was this incident that prompted me to start calling Philadelphia the City of Brotherly Hate. ;) I completely agree with you that the actions of a few complete morons seem to tag an entire demographic....it's an unfortunate trait of human nature and I'm afraid we're all guilty of it to some degree.

Back to your review....I'm loving it and thank you for taking the time to write it. Now, I must continue reading it... :D

Actually I'll tell you a dirty little secret. :)

DH and I are huge Dallas fans. And trust me............that does NOT go over very well in this town - it is about worth your life to wear a Dallas jacket in certain parts of town. We are not from here originally and never have been able to understand the frenzy for the local team. It is a puzzle.

Glad you are enjoying the review. I'm about to post the last day.

Last Day - Saturday September 11th

What is it about leaving your last port of call? Is it just me or do you all feel like you have to struggle not to allow yourself to feel different - like your vacation is already over?

Second to last breakfast in the Pinnacle. Honestly if you are in the suites please be sure to treat yourself to this experience at least once. We truly loved the breakfast in there and the staff was just so warm and friendly - it was a great start to the day. Eggs Benedict today and it was excellent. I don't know if I have mentioned the pastry selection earlier in the review. Let me just say that the AM pastry selection probably had a lot to do with me coming back 2 full pounds heavier than when I left. (All in my thighs of course...........some of my fellow female travelers can identify with that fun experience...............) :(

Honestly, the chocolate croissants, the danish pastries, the blueberry muffins......you get the picture - not a bad choice in the bunch. DH liked the blueberry muffins especially. Sorry to say I had no favorite - I thought all were excellent - refer to "thighs" comment above..............

After breakfast did some shopping until it was time to go to the disembarkation talk. Since this was our first HAL trip we thought we should attend. I don't know if our week was special or if the prices in the shops are always this good. But I got some great clothes at half price. Really cute stuff too. Got this jacket and tank set I love with martini glasses embroidered on them.

Showroom at Sea (where the talk was held) was a meat locker. This seemed a common theme during the earlier part of the day - after a while we all learned to wear long sleeves. Talk was about what we are used to on other lines. Did not mention anything about suites so we asked Abby later since we were unsure.

I think this was the day that the Bermuda Triangle talk was held. I really enjoyed having a port lecturer on this trip. It really added to the experience. So many lines have cut that position and I really give HAL kudos for doing this and investing in the passenger experience. The talk was very interesting.

Lunch was going to be in Slice but when we went up there the pizza kind of looked congealed and not terribly appealing - I think we may have just hit it at a bad time. Decided to eat at the regular Lido instead. We had not done the Lido much this trip but we both thought the food and selection were very good. I got a grilled sandwich and DH got a stirfry or something. Then we both pigged out on desserts. Very nice selection - this day they had pecan bars which were great. Cookies were also very good on this cruise.

Decided to go and enjoy our veranda a bit.

Relaxed for a while and then decided to hit Neptune Lounge to get Cappuccino and Cookies and bring them back. Got my coffees and then went to get a cookie for us to split. Should have gone for the cookie first. There was a woman ahead of me. She put every cookie (at least 10) on her plate and left.

Now I have to say.... first off I would not take every cookie if it were me, especially if someone were behind me in line. If I wanted that many cookies I would have gone to the Lido (at which point I would probably have made ten trips because I would not have wanted anyone to see me taking ten cookies and thinking I did not need to be eating ten cookies.) But that is just me. She took all the cookies so I went to the Lido. Since I burned all the calories going up one whole deck I decided to get one cookie EACH. :)

After our coffee and cookies we decided to hit the mixology class. I had debated since I had not really enjoyed the previous day drinks very much. But DH was going and I figured what the heck - this was the day they were doing "rimming" drinks and I figured I might as well get my printed "diploma" for having attended three sessions. Figured it would look funny on my wall at work. (Lucky for me - my boss likes to drink as much as I do and I knew he would laugh.)

So we went. It was good. I actually liked those drinks pretty much.

After the mixology class we wandered around a bit. Hit some shops / hit some lounges / relaxed on the Veranda.

Dinner was Pinnacle Grill - our last night. The Maitre D was so nice. He had told us in the AM that he was going to have a nice quiet table for us and he did. Amazing meal. We had gotten to know the staff pretty well over the week and we really enjoyed them. And the food - what can I say? Today I was back to my Lobster Bisque, Steak Diane and the Grand Marnier Volcano cake with Vanilla Ice Cream. DH ordered the Lobster Mac and Cheese and we split our entrees with one another.

Amazing meal and we had such a good time. We were sad to leave.

I had not yet packed (a first and last experience for me - I usually get that unpleasant task done very early in the day so I can enjoy the rest of the day.)

DH went to the show and I packed...........and packed..............why did I feel compelled to drag glasses back yet again from Frog and Onion? And why do I have zero self control where shops are involved??????????? And why do my suitcases always seem smaller on the way home????? You get the picture.

By the time DH got back I was hot and frazzled. Finished packing and we went down to the Ocean bar for a last drink. Then off to bed so we could be sure to be up early for the sail into NY.

DH left the drapes open slightly thinking the early morning light would wake us. It did not but I seemed to be back in get ready for work mode and woke at my usual (home) time of 5AM. Got showered and dressed. Had coffee and a few pastries ready on the Veranda by the time we got near the bridge. Got some great shots (I think) as we sailed up the river. Passed the Celebrity Summit near the bridge - she was waiting to be able to go into Bayonne.

Passed Lady Liberty on our side and took some photos. Took a few more pictures (we were on Jersey City Side) and then DH ran to Deck six to take more Manhatten pics.

After all the pics were taken we headed to Pinnacle Grill for our last breakfast.

Made a mistake this time. I misread the menu and thought American Breakfast came with choice of breakfast meat. It does not - it comes with EVERY breakfast meat. So I ate what I could and was mad at myself. I am not a vegetarian but I try not to waste food that some animal died for - that is my personal pet peeve. So I ate as much as possible but couldn't finish it all anyway and was totally aggravated that I did not read the menu better.

Back to the room to pack the last minute items. We were going to be in the first group after the self debark. About 8:20 we left the room so the guys could begin getting it ready. Waited in the atrium area for about half an hour and then were called off.

No trouble getting a porter and finding our bags. No line at customs. Was asked about food products and I told them about my Bermuda Rum Cakes which they said was no problem.

Ended up coming into Pier 92 so we had to walk to 88 where we had parked. Wasn't bad - we were in our car in a few minutes. Ten minutes later we were in the tunnel. Only two hours from walking off the ship until we were pulling into our driveway.

Only problem was cruise withdrawal. :)

Overall, as I said in the beginning - we had a great trip. Yes there were a few items that were not perfect. But hey - we were on a ship / had a drink in our hands / had a great itinerary / and we were not at work! What's to stress about.

For those who are conflicted about Veendam because of the negative reviews - please consider giving this ship a chance. The size of the ship and the staff are just ideal in so many ways.

Happy Travels Everyone!!!! Already looking forward to our next cruise.

Thanks for all the encouraging words along the way. And a big shout out to Nessa and all the folks who posted so much great information before our cruise. I hope I was able to return the favor.

Kathy

Kathy,

thank you so much for your excellent reviews, your insights into the suites and your experiences. Unfortunately we saw another couple like that in the Pinnacle too. Unbelievable. too bad HAL wouldn't add a rule that they can kick you off for rude behaviour. :eek: Seriously, your review was just great and we all aprreciated it very much. Thank you.:)

Actually I'll tell you a dirty little secret. :)

DH and I are huge Dallas fans. And trust me............that does NOT go over very well in this town - it is about worth your life to wear a Dallas jacket in certain parts of town. We are not from here originally and never have been able to understand the frenzy for the local team. It is a puzzle.

Glad you are enjoying the review. I'm about to post the last day.

Really crappy start to "our" season, huh? Donovan and the Skins (didn't he look funny in that uniform?) beating us in the opener was especially insulting. :mad:

BTW - it is highly advisable to up the life insurance if one wears Eagle attire here. :eek:

Kathy,

thank you so much for your excellent reviews, your insights into the suites and your experiences. Unfortunately we saw another couple like that in the Pinnacle too. Unbelievable. too bad HAL wouldn't add a rule that they can kick you off for rude behaviour. :eek: Seriously, your review was just great and we all aprreciated it very much. Thank you.:)

Thanks, Kazu!

By the way, I don't know if you are anywhere near Saint John? But if you are, I have to tell you how incredibly impressed DH and I were with that port on our Canada / NE cruise last year. The welcome was beyond anything I have ever experienced at a cruise port. Not only were we welcomed as we arrived (with flowers for the women) - there were guides posted at strategic spots in town to help all of us find our way to all the sites. It was beyond anything we have ever experienced at a port before and really made a huge impression on us. (As you can tell by how clearly I remember it all over a year later).

Kathy

Really crappy start to "our" season, huh? Donovan and the Skins (didn't he look funny in that uniform?) beating us in the opener was especially insulting. :mad:

BTW - it is highly advisable to up the life insurance if one wears Eagle attire here. :eek:

:)

DH is still depressed. It is funny to see Donovan in anything other than an Eagles uniform, isn't it? I hope the Redskins appreciate him more than Philadelphia fans did. I always felt he behaved with a lot of grace. This is a tough town. All that matters is the win - and "what have you done for us lately" is kind of the mantra.

K

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading some other posts around that some didn't like Bermuda, as he said 'it shuts down at night time', because of the English rule.

Hi Georgette

Just wanted to let you know that comment from that poster is 100% balderdash. The sidewalks do not roll up after 10pm ...

There are many places in Hamilton, and in other parts of the island, where one can enjoy themselves after hours.

I have, and I'm sure many others here, have found plenty of pubs and nightclubs that stay open til at least 2am. The shore-ex personell on board can help with suggestions, as well as myself and my fellow Bermuda fans here.

Any questions, feel free to ask away! :)

Archived