Just back from 9/5 Veendam - Great Trip!

KatWag

Well next time you're over make sure to give me a shout - we'd love too meet up with you and show you some old fashioned Bermudian hospitality!

Cheers

Penny

Hey Penny!

As soon as I make my plans, I'll give a shout. :)

Hope all is well with you and everyone on the island.

Loved your review-----I want to go back--now:) Unfortunately there are so many other places I want to see as well and time is getting shorter and shorter. By the time we get around to repeats it may be too late.

Thanks, Kazu!

By the way, I don't know if you are anywhere near Saint John? But if you are, I have to tell you how incredibly impressed DH and I were with that port on our Canada / NE cruise last year. The welcome was beyond anything I have ever experienced at a cruise port. Not only were we welcomed as we arrived (with flowers for the women) - there were guides posted at strategic spots in town to help all of us find our way to all the sites. It was beyond anything we have ever experienced at a port before and really made a huge impression on us. (As you can tell by how clearly I remember it all over a year later).

Kathy

oops, sorry Kathy, I neglected to reply. Yes, we are in the suburbs of Saint John. they have done a lot of work to make this a worthwhile port for cruisers and cruise ships. Glad to hear your great comments.

if you come back, let us know :)

• 3 weeks later...
oops, sorry Kathy, I neglected to reply. Yes, we are in the suburbs of Saint John. they have done a lot of work to make this a worthwhile port for cruisers and cruise ships. Glad to hear your great comments.

if you come back, let us know :)

If I make it back one of these days I'd love to buy you lunch! Happy travels.

Kathy

• 7 months later...

Just got off NCL Jewel and wanted to give an update. When I wrote this review I felt that NCL had a bit of an edge in suites.

But interestingly, DH and I had several conversations this past trip and both decided we think we preferred the HAL way.

We missed the Neptune Lounge, the great outdoor furniture, the Indonesian lunch. NCL has lunch in the specialty restaurant as well as breakfast and that was nice. No invite for early admission to the chocoholic buffet this trip.

But to our shock, we found folks dining in almost every restaurant in shorts. And then saw that they were indeed following the stated dress code.

Also, we were in a penthouse level suite. Jewel has courtyard level and it seems that the service level is better up there. More stratification in the suites than we found on HAL.

We had a great vacation. Lots to enjoy. But I no longer feel as I did when I wrote thisvreview and I wanted to share that.

At the end of our trip, I asked DH his thoughts. He said he preferred HAL in all areas other than the martini tasting.

Dear Kathy, Thank you so much for writing such a comprehensive review. My DH and I were on the Veendam last year and really enjoyed her. We usually sail in an aft facing room, but this year because of scheduling difficulties with my job, we were too late to get one. We deceided to try one of the suites. There were no ac issues last year, but I'm a little concerned about this year, the dreaded "flashes" are starting. Our room is 15 on the navigation deck. Do you know if this was one of the affected cabins? Would taking a fan be recommended?

Two more questions...The lounge for suite guests...do they serve expresso? My DH enjoys one in the afternoon and after dinner. We actually have a coffee card from last year, but wont purchase another one if they serve expresso in the lounge.

Last question... Did you have priority boarding for the tender into St.Georges?

Thank you again for a great review. Only 47 more days left to go!

Vickie

Vickie,

I did not hear about any AC problems in the area of 15. All the complaints I heard were on our side of the ship. I am also in the early "personal summer" stage and know exactly what you mean. I am thinking that they likely resolved a lot of the AC issues during the dry dock.

If I went today I would not take a fan. If it seems way too hot when you board you can ask and they will bring you one.

The coffee machine in Neptune did all sorts of coffees and I am sure espresso was one. If you board before the rooms are ready you will be stopping first at Neptune to leave your carryons. You could double check and only buy a coffee card if you need it.

We did not get priority tendering because they said the tender takes anyone who wants to go.

Thank you for the excellent report of your Veendam cruise( am rather late to thank you, but we were on the Volendam at that time).

Thanks! I wish I were back onboard right now. :)

Thanks so much, Kathy, for your quick responses. My DH and I can't wait to go aboard! Hope our trip will be as great as yours was. We too have never had a "bad" cruise. A few glitches here and there, but never enough to ruin a vacation. Alright, maybe once when my DH argued with the cruise director over a Doo Wop trivia question. I had to hear about that particular incident the whole cruise lol. Thanks again...have a great day! Vickie

Archived