Zuiderdam, A Dream Come True..Our Story

COLLEYBERRY

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Seems like a lot to go through just to get a plate of [COLOR=sienna]chocolates[/COLOR]. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Glad Lee is all right. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='trophy_23']Not creepy, My GF and I walk at Ambleside and watch the ships leave whenever we get a chance. Something beautiful about watching the ships pass under the Lions Gate bridge.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Ohhh watching the ships sail under the Lions Gate Bridge is my favortie!![/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='PumpkinPatches'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Ohhh watching the ships sail under the Lions Gate Bridge is my favortie!![/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

My parents are going to wave to us from Ambleside as we leave on the 27th (I Know that pumpkin patches is going to be up watching the O'dam come in under the bridge, but that's just way too early to get up - especially with a four-and-a-half year old in tow!)...so they'll see the beautiful O'dam come out from under the the Lions Gate bridge and round Prospect Point as we head south into Georgia Straight.

[quote name='fqtvguy']My parents are going to wave to us from Ambleside as we leave on the 27th (I Know that pumpkin patches is going to be up watching the O'dam come in under the bridge, but that's just way too early to get up - especially with a four-and-a-half year old in tow!)...so they'll see the beautiful O'dam come out from under the the Lions Gate bridge and round Prospect Point as we head south into Georgia Straight.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]That's still pending lol.. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it but it would certainly be nice to!! I live in Surrey, so I'd have to leave at 5:45am to get to Canada Place by 7.. I know I can handle that early of a morning.. but can my bf handle it? I guess we'll wait and see!! But if someone on the roll call wants to meet up and watch it, I think I'll be more inclined to make the trip out!![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]It'll be nice to be on the other side of things on the 27th.. instead of sitting on the seawall watching the ships.. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]COLLEYBERRY; you're review sent me into CRAZY IMPATIENT mode.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='PumpkinPatches'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]That's still pending lol.. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it but it would certainly be nice to!! I live in Surrey, so I'd have to leave at 5:45am to get to Canada Place by 7.. I know I can handle that early of a morning.. but can my bf handle it? I guess we'll wait and see!! But if someone on the roll call wants to meet up and watch it, I think I'll be more inclined to make the trip out!![/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]It'll be nice to be on the other side of things on the 27th.. instead of sitting on the seawall watching the ships.. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]COLLEYBERRY; you're review sent me into CRAZY IMPATIENT mode.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks :p[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

It's always better to be waiving FROM the ship rather than TO the ship! All the people on the seawall, at Brockton point light, Prospect point and at Ambleside - there was a good crowd the last time we left from Vancouver (on our first HAL ship - the Statendam...)

[quote name='fqtvguy']It's always better to be waiving FROM the ship rather than TO the ship! All the people on the seawall, at Brockton point light, Prospect point and at Ambleside - there was a good crowd the last time we left from Vancouver (on our first HAL ship - the Statendam...)[/quote]

I am so glad your DH was ok and that you enjoyed your suite. You just brought it all back for me. what a great review. and so glad you had a suite that you enjoyed. That's why we like them too. The space and the balcony.

A truly wonderful review, I felt like the waves were right there. can't wait:)

[quote name='LSEA']Colleyberry,

I really feel quite awful having a laugh at your DH's expense but your delightful writing skills make any other response impossible. This is a great review. Thanks for sharing.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]That's okay[/FONT][/SIZE]...[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]we did have a few laughs about it after the fact.:D He thought he should make up a story that made him sound a little more heroic when people asked about his forehead[/FONT][/SIZE].[SIZE=3]:rolleyes:[/SIZE]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Seems like a lot to go through just to get a plate of [COLOR=sienna]chocolates[/COLOR]. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Glad Lee is all right. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]They were awfully pretty Ruth :):) [/FONT][/SIZE]

Thank you for a wonderful review! I am afraid you made me quite envious since the best cabin I ever get is an oceanview. However, I love the trips anyway. Perhaps for my husband's retirement we will be able to splurge on a better cabin and have a cruise in a suite.

I have to say that with all the negative comments on the boards, reading your review has been a breath of fresh air!!! Now I have to go look at a deck plan and find out where your cabin was.....just so I can dream!!!!

As for your husband, I am sorry about his fall, but you are correct, the medical care on HAL ships is awesome. I was on an Alaska cruise and one elderly lady that was at our dinner table fell down the stairs in the show lounge....they took wonderful care of her and were very good about letting a few people stay with her while she was in the infirmary (she was a bit frightened!!). So my hat goes off to HAL for their wonderful care once again.

It is so nice to hear that you had a good cruise. I hope you write some more.

Hi Colleen! I am so glad to have found your review today. I knew you were sailing this month, so I have been checking in here and there looking for your review. Our next cruise is on Disney so the little time I have spent on CC has been there. I started homeschooling my oldest this year, so we are busy. I miss HAL's boards for all the activity and familiar posters, but we won't be sailing on HAL soon so my only thing that kept me coming back was looking for your trip report. Thanks for the Alaska memories and sorry for Lee's fall. I am looking forward to reading the rest of your review. Take care!
Valerie

[quote name='dewong2008']T

It is so nice to hear that you had a good cruise. I hope you write some more.[/quote]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
Thank you for your kind reply
[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial] This was a first time for us...and could very be our only[/FONT][/SIZE],[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]for a while at least[/FONT][/SIZE].
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]We have two children..one a doctorate student , the other a struggling actor(auditioning for a movie Tues. fingers crossed please folks:)) They are hard working and we help out only sometimes but it does put a dent in a travel budget.One day our job will be done:D

[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='lishka']I have that very cabin booked for the last Alaska trip NEXT September - 2011!
Thanks for giving me so much to look forward to! :D[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]You will love it...is it possible to be homesick for a cabin??:o:D
It is such special location I wish you the best time.:)
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Travalerie']Hi Colleen! I am so glad to have found your review today. I knew you were sailing this month, so I have been checking in here and there looking for your review. Our next cruise is on Disney so the little time I have spent on CC has been there. I started homeschooling my oldest this year, so we are busy. I miss HAL's boards for all the activity and familiar posters, but we won't be sailing on HAL soon so my only thing that kept me coming back was looking for your trip report. Thanks for the Alaska memories and sorry for Lee's fall. I am looking forward to reading the rest of your review. Take care!
Valerie[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Hello,hello ..so glad you posted[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Valerie[/FONT][/SIZE]:) [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Home schooling what a challenge ..i wish you all the best[/FONT][/SIZE].[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
I am busy with the rest of the review i will try and finish this weekend.
I return to work Monday:(
Take care.. sending best wishes to you and your family:)

[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='COLLEYBERRY'][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
Thank you for your kind reply
[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial] This was a first time for us...and could very be our only[/FONT][/SIZE],[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]for a while at least[/FONT][/SIZE].
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]We have two children..one a doctorate student , the other a struggling actor(auditioning for a movie Tues. fingers crossed please folks:)) They are hard working and we help out only sometimes but it does put a dent in a travel budget.One day our job will be done:D

[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Yes, I can see how that would put a dent in your travel budget. My only child is still in high school and I am sure we still have a long way to go. However, I think that your job is never done but I do think that the helping does lessen as the "children" get older. I hope the actor does well in the audition. I think that is a very tough way to make a living.

Keep smiling :)

Hi Colleen----so enjoying your installments and looking forward to reading the rest of the story. Your husband's mishap must have been scary at the time but it sure makes for a good story.

I got your email and am so glad you got a kick out of the little audio "Timbit".

Our first full day on board was a Sea Day. I rose early ( I love sunrises at sea ). Pulling back the drapery I discovered a gray and rainy view.

Regardless ( I'm not wasting a moment of balcony time) engulfed in the Holland America bathrobe provided, I stepped out onto the balcony.

It was a little rocky rolly.The sky ,only a slightly lighter shade of pewter gray than the sea, had a muted golden orb on it's horizon.

The ship was clipping right along. The wake, frothing beautifully ,testimony to her speed ,fanned out behind like a magnificent tail feather.

I was exhilarated by the wind and the sea. But it soon became apparent I was not dressed for the party.

Returning to the cabin I pulled on my "Alaskan ready for all weather" jacket over the bathrobe,a toque(for those of you who are not Canadian, this a knit ,stocking type hat...stunning),my red Olympic mitts with the white Maple Leafs on the palms,and a pair of socks to go with my slippers.
I was a vision :D( come on guys it was only 6.15 am , I wasn't going to get dressed, dressed ) Leaving a sleeping husband and armed with binoculars I returned to the balcony.

I was alone with the elements,just me and the sea. Misty green forested cliffs like two great arms bordered each side of the ship. Sheltered by our balcony's cover,I scanned the water for any sign of life ( I somehow had this notion critters got up early too ) Lee is phenomenal at spotting marine life,(raised by the ocean) ....all my whales turn into ice bergs or ocean debris.:o Sometimes I just pretend to spot one (tee hee)

At this point I would love to tell you a whale breached breathtakingly,..nope..but I was thoroughly enjoying myself anyway.

My very amused husband appeared and insisted on taking a photo of his wife ( no you will never see it ..ever..don't ask)

Handing off the toque and binoculars I left him to do his Jacques Costeau thing and went inside to wait for breakfast.

Breakfast in the cabin.. sigh..all those lovely breakfast choices that you have neither shopped for nor prepared...crispy bacon and marmalade..I ask you does life get any better ?..I don't think so.

We had a great day from beginning to end. Explored the ship( be assured I did change into public friendly attire) checked out the shops ( a little disappointed ) walked the promenade, lunch in the dining room, time on the balcony,read,had a guilt free nap. ( did I mention I love days at sea )
I was still a little rocky ,we shared an elevator that day with a crew member carrying a tray holding ,ginger ale, crackers and the infamous green apple Somebody wasn't happy.:(
That evening was the first formal night..I had sent out four of Lee's shirts and his suit for pressing the day before..they arrived on hangers beautifully done..this" suite life" was getting sweeter by the day.

Not to toot any horns or anything but we do clean up pretty good. I had a very romantic evening with my handsome( eye of this beholder anyway) husband.
Classical music and drinks before a late dinner, delicious meal (Rack of Lamb) at our favorite table #122, a few turns on the dance floor.and a stroll albeit brief (tad windy) on the promenade with just a railing between us the dark ocean ..then we returned to the glow of cabin 5191.

The Zuiderdam was taking us ever closer to my favorite spot in Alaska... magical ,mystical Tracy Arm.

[quote name='sapper1']Hi Colleen----so enjoying your installments and looking forward to reading the rest of the story. Your husband's mishap must have been scary at the time but it sure makes for a good story.

I got your email and am so glad you got a kick out of the little audio "Timbit".[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Hey friend,

We laughed so hard..:D ... perfect example of Canadian humor...even the eh's were exquisitely spoken:D:D:D

I must admit for all the my joking.. that first wake up was a great relief.

Thanks again
Colleen
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='scopewest']Thank you for your wonderful review. A lot of people don't like the larger the Vista ships but I love them. I had been thinking about sailing in your cabin and now I know we'll have a great time if I book it.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]I am sure you will love it...I better stop extolling it's charms I may never find it available again:D...hmm come to think of it it wasn't all that swell;)[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
Gladly:) Not everyone's cup of tea ,but we enjoy the location very much.
#122 is tucked away in the far corner of the lower dining room.
( #127 nice as well in the other corner ,though there is a small serving station nearby)

I find the MDR can be noisy and bustley..lots of fun in a group.
But part of the fun of cruising for us are quiet diners for two. We are not anti social ;) I love meeting new people .. but the off chance of dealing with non compatible table mates and the subsequent awkwardness of changing of tables is not something I am prepared to risk with our hard earned and precious cruise time.(having said that by
far the vast majority of cruisers we have met are wonderful and very interesting people,

Back to the table.. it feels quite separate from the rest of the dining room ,both tables are affectionately known as the "honeymoon tables"

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Archived